Hyundai reneging on Valet and Loaner vehicle

Edward McIntosh

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thread starter #1
My 2014 Equus Ultimate was about to turn 37,000 in January so I contacted the service manager at Hub Hyundai West in Houston to arrange to bring it in for routine service and wanted to coordinate this with the availability of their loaner vehicle. As I've done many times in the past. After not getting a response to email and text messages, I called him and was told that the valet service and loaner vehicle program expires after 3-years or 36,000 miles. I reminded him that the sales brochures from 2012 to the 2016 models all tout the text below from the 2015 brochure and nowhere in any Equus literature or communications with me was a time and mileage limit ever communicated. In fact, just the opposite. This customer service program detail can be found on the second or third page of the marketing brochure, before any of the other features of this great automobile are detailed.

I filed a complaint with Hyundai Motors America Customer Assurance Group in Fountain Valley, CA, received a case number and then the Cone of Silence descended over them. I email the Vice-President of Customer Satisfaction, Mr. Barry Ratzlaff bratzlaff@hmausa.com, who I've had interaction with in the past but got zero reply. Which was very unusual because in the past, Mr. Ratzlaff was very responsive. Finally, an email came this week from a customer service rep saying that Hyundai was unwilling to honor the commitment made to Equus owners about loaner vehicles.

So, I started working up the chain of command in California and have a list of all of their senior executives, including the CEO, and their email and other contact information. And I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau's binding arbitration group. But it's we owners who can force Hyundai management to reverse this new policy and restore the promise they made to all of us when we purchased the Equus flagship automobile. The more they hear from others like yourselves, the more they will get the message that reneging on a promise is NOT acceptable. I'll be happy to supply the names and contact information to other Equus owners so you can also raise your voice about this.

From the 2015 Equus Sales brochure, page 3 I capitalized the word NEVER !

"When it’s time for service, an Equus owner NEVER has to set foot in our service
center. You can simply contact us by phone or through the downloadable Equus
Owner Experience iPad® app, and we’ll come to you. We’ll exchange your car for a
Courtesy Replacement Vehicle, then return your Equus when it’s ready. All of this
in support of an automobile designed to deliver what matters to you most: The
pure pleasure of power, comfort, convenience and security."

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
"Finally, an email came this week from a customer service rep saying that Hyundai was unwilling to honor the commitment made to Equus owners about loaner vehicles."

You are being deceptive too. What was the EXACT text of the email you just received from Hyundai? If you expect to gather support, you'll need to be much more informative to rally the Equus owners here.

Edward McIntosh

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thread starter #3
I'm certainly not being "deceptive" at all. Here is the exact text from the email I received on March 19th.
===================

Dear Ed,

I'm responding with name of one of my supervisor's you can request to speak with regarding your concern with valet service that is offered for Equus vehicle when needing service. Her name is Joanna Mateo.

We realize that mutual agreement on some issues may not be possible; therefore we offer an alternative dispute resolution arbitration program through the Better Business Bureau Auto Line.

I spoke with you on 2/23/18 and advised that suggested resolution is to provide you with alternate dispute resolution information as last resort. Unfortunately resolution has not changed. I have included the information for alternate dispute resolution in case it's helpful or if you would like to utilize this option to resolve below.

BBB AUTO LINE
Alternative Dispute Resolution Division
Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.
3033 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 600
Arlington, Virginia 22201
1-800-955-5100

If you would like more information regarding this impartial third- party service, please refer your Owner’s Handbook, specifically in the Consumer Information and Binding Arbitration section or the Hyundai Warranty Information section.

Respectfully,

Denise Fernandez

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I agree that the marketing brochure is poorly written. However a sales brochure is not a warranty or guarantee of anything. NEVER is a VERY long time. Did it occur to you to ask for a clarification at the time you bought it? The wording is way too general.

All that being said, Genesis’s out is on the last page of the brochure, which I assume you saw. It says “No warranty or guarantee is being extended in this brochure, and Hyundai reserves the right to change product specifications and equipment at any time without incurring obligations.”

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
I'm certainly not being "deceptive" at all. Here is the exact text from the email I received on March 19th.
===================

Dear Ed,

I'm responding with name of one of my supervisor's you can request to speak with regarding your concern with valet service that is offered for Equus vehicle when needing service. Her name is Joanna Mateo.

We realize that mutual agreement on some issues may not be possible; therefore we offer an alternative dispute resolution arbitration program through the Better Business Bureau Auto Line.
You still left out information. Sure, there is some question as to what they will or will not do but this email gives you a way to dispute. It still does not show where they are refusing you valet service and why. Not enough information here yet for an arbitrator. .

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
You still left out information. Sure, there is some question as to what they will or will not do but this email gives you a way to dispute. It still does not show where they are refusing you valet service and why. Not enough information here yet for an arbitrator. .
Agreed. Ed Mc is going to have to scramble to enlist other Equus owners in the cause.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.