I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS F***ING CAR!!!

Zosske

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@jlgs2000 - you won’t regret it, my friend. I didn’t think I’d say it, but I couldn’t like my G70 any more than I do... maybe because I went from an 09 corolla to the 3.3T AWD haha.

It was worth the 4 hour drive to find the one I wanted, and still haven’t seen another G70 on the road yet; it DEFINITELY turns a lot of heads.

Feels great driving this thing around.

CA5572B1-8FE9-4996-90E5-B2FBED99E8D9.jpeg

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@jlgs2000 - you won’t regret it, my friend. I didn’t think I’d say it, but I couldn’t like my G70 any more than I do... maybe because I went from an 09 corolla to the 3.3T AWD haha.

It was worth the 4 hour drive to find the one I wanted, and still haven’t seen another G70 on the road yet; it DEFINITELY turns a lot of heads.

Feels great driving this thing around.

View attachment 19028

Right there with you. I haven't seen any other G70 in my area. But each time I get in, I smell that premium new car leather smell, and think to myself, "I love my car." Also, each time I get out and walk away, I always turn back to take a look at it. It just looks so sharp. I've primarily owned beaters prior to buying this car, so honestly anything new would've been a huge upgrade regardless; but, the G70 is something else entirely in the new car venue.

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I will chime in and say that I too absolutely love the G70. I don’t miss my former ride (BMW 328d) except for the diesel fuel mileage. But in turn, I got a quieter vehicle with impressive performance.

I will say that break-in is tough. I have been trying to stay reasonable in my throttle inputs and leave the car in “Comfort” mode. But I had to get around a car today and was surprised how quickly I got up to 70 mph on a highway without really trying.

I do wish there was a smidge more back seat leg room (and a lot more room for feet under the seat). But this is of rare consequence to me as I won’t usually have people in the back seat as I have a SUV for family hauling.

joschneider

Registered Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Break in rpms are supposed to be higher than what comfort mode has you in btw. I left it in sport to keep them where the manual says they should be, along with using the paddle shifters to get it up to 4K occasionally

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Break in rpms are supposed to be higher than what comfort mode has you in btw. I left it in sport to keep them where the manual says they should be, along with using the paddle shifters to get it up to 4K occasionally

This. Ideally you should actually be driving it in sport mode, or custom with the engine in sport setting and manually shift gears. This way you don't need to be raging on the throttle to keep the RPM's up. The owner's manual states RPM's should be between 2000 and 4000 during break in (first 600 miles).

I should've done that during break in, but instead I did comfort mode with the occasional 3/4 throttle zing. Either way, the most important portion of engine break-in was done at the factory to get those piston rings mostly seated, so it's not a huge deal.

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I tried Sport mode this morning. At a traffic light, someone in a Volvo S40 was trying to snake my lane, so when the light turned, I gave it just a little more throttle than normal. Yeah, I inadvertently smoked that S40 by a lot, got shoved into my seat and was blasting down a city street at...we’ll just call it higher than highway speeds. Geeeeeeez!

So, yes...I LOVE this car!

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This. Ideally you should actually be driving it in sport mode, or custom with the engine in sport setting and manually shift gears. This way you don't need to be raging on the throttle to keep the RPM's up. The owner's manual states RPM's should be between 2000 and 4000 during break in (first 600 miles).

I should've done that during break in, but instead I did comfort mode with the occasional 3/4 throttle zing. Either way, the most important portion of engine break-in was done at the factory to get those piston rings mostly seated, so it's not a huge deal.
I didn't realize they recommended that. I just hit 3000km's and have been mostly driving in eco, but I did get mine in the middle of winter. I drove home today in custom (all sport, suspension-comfort) using the paddles keeping between 2000-4000. Other than a few hard accelerations it's really the most I've stepped on it since I just got my summers on. This car is so much fun to drive. I have to try to not accelerate to fast from a stand still. Using the paddles is actually fun since this car can actually accelerate quickly when already driving.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't realize they recommended that. I just hit 3000km's and have been mostly driving in eco, but I did get mine in the middle of winter. I drove home today in custom (all sport, suspension-comfort) using the paddles keeping between 2000-4000. Other than a few hard accelerations it's really the most I've stepped on it since I just got my summers on. This car is so much fun to drive. I have to try to not accelerate to fast from a stand still. Using the paddles is actually fun since this car can actually accelerate quickly when already driving.

Yeah! You really start to get a feel for how the turbos spool and the overall powerband when using the manual mode. It kicks pretty hard.

Early sunday morning when driving back home from work the roads were essentially empty, it was rainy (almost always is here) and I had traction control off, I was turning left onto a big road. While in 1st gear I stomped on it like a fool and got some nice power oversteer. Haha. I immediately let off the throttle, but I couldn't stop laughing because I didn't really expect it! It was sweet.

Last edited:

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yeah! You really start to get a feel for how the turbos spool and the overall powerband when using the manual mode. It kicks pretty hard.

Early sunday morning when driving back home from work the roads were essentially empty, it was rainy (almost always is here) and I had traction control off, I was turning left onto a big road. While in 1st gear I stomped on it like a fool and got some nice power oversteer. Haha. I immediately let off the throttle, but I couldn't stop laughing because I didn't really expect it! It was sweet.
I had a similar experience Sunday, after first oil change @ 600 miles. The only reason I let up is I for got I was in manual mode and hit the rev limiter. Still getting used to the paddles. Is it bad to hit the rev limiter? I thaught it would revert to auto if hit the rev limiter. Wow the car really took off!

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had a similar experience Sunday, after first oil change @ 600 miles. The only reason I let up is I for got I was in manual mode and hit the rev limiter. Still getting used to the paddles. Is it bad to hit the rev limiter? I thaught it would revert to auto if hit the rev limiter. Wow the car really took off!
Banging on the rev limiter once in a while won't have much lasting impact. If you do it frequently I'm sure you will be needing that powertrain warranty.

I never took it to the rev limiter in manual mode but I also noticed the car is really reluctant to up shift even with stability and traction control on in manual sport mode. I've revved the car to near 6k in manual mode while driving and it would just hold the gears. Never felt the need to disable traction to get full manual mode.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Like stated above, hitting it on a rare occasion is not a big deal. But doing it again and again may end up running into problems.

One thing I noticed when digging through the engine specs is that the 3.3 has a really short stroke with a big bore. Assuming the rods aren't crazy short, I bet it has a really good rod/stroke ratio, which would mean that this engine should really do well at higher RPM's, assuming the valvetrain is up for it.

I really think the stock turbos are running out of wind once you hit 6k RPM.

That said, even just slightly bigger turbos would really pump up that top end. 🙂