I want an R Spec

bwest

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hello all,

I'm looking at getting a 2012/2013 R Spec with hopefully about 60k miles. I've done my fair share of reading but also wanted the opinion of people who have lived it. Obviously 2012 has the oil consumption usage. How many were actually affected? Should I look into a 2012 with low miles or steer clear? I know Bluelink was better in the 2013, but are there any other advantages to the 2013's? 2012's are obviously a little cheaper (about 1.5k - 2k) so what would you do? I currently drive a '01 Deville and have a '74 Vette.

Also, how are the cars for reliability long term? Definitely want something I won't have to sink money in over and over again.

Thanks for any help! I'm sure you're asked this a ton!

Brenden

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
If you can find one, go for a 2013 model because there were issues with the 2012 transmission (problem I'm currently dealing with) along with the already stated oil consumption issues (so far so good on mine but may show later on.. only got 34k miles right now but nothing I'm not used to. Drove a VQ before this and they are way worse on OC, was going through 3 quarts in 3k miles.)

The 2013 models have revised trans that don't have as many issues although there are still some reported issues with those trans. But the interior control cluster is different and more innovative than the 2012. My grandma owns a 2013 3.8 while I have the 2012 R-Spec. The differences between the 2 are minimal but if I could go back in time I'd opt for a 2013, but I couldn't pass up a 2012 with 21k miles for only $23k back in 2018. Too good of a deal. I love this car and really you just have to understand these are complex machines and with added technology and so much complexity, its not always gonna operate perfectly and that is just the problem with car ownership. It tends to be hit or miss, you either get a really good car, or you get one with problems. Just do your research and make informed decisions when it comes to purchasing. And always do an extended test drive.

P.s. I've also experienced issues with alignment and wheel balancing which I believe is present regardless of the model year. Sedans tend to always pull to the right even if you set your specs to push it to the left (I know cause I've tried many times, it just wont drive perfectly straight). I bought my car with a HORRIBLY shaking steering wheel but only because I knew how to solve the issue. Well, it took the shop 3x balances before they got it to stop the wheel shaking. Just went to another shop owned by my buddy who just picked up a new road force balancer and it took 2 tries this time to get it right. The car is extremely sensitive to balance and alignment and needs to be near perfect with probably only an acceptable margin of error of about .05%. If you find a shop that knows what theyre doing and they spend time on it you should be good. I find they tend to rush for time's sake and that leaves you with a - good but still not proper - balance. A solid balance should take the techs about 10-15 mins per wheel.

bwest

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Well thanks for all that info. I guess I just assumed this car would have a better reliability being a Hyundai, but seems from reading that there is potential for a lot of maintenance issues. When you say extended test drive, are you talking overnight?

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Well thanks for all that info. I guess I just assumed this car would have a better reliability being a Hyundai, but seems from reading that there is potential for a lot of maintenance issues. When you say extended test drive, are you talking overnight?
No, I just mean take like 30 mins or so and really get a good feel of the car before you decide. Hard to judge if a car is good in a 5 min drive. They are very reliable vehicles and cheap to fix unless its a major repair like a transmission. Problem is these are sealed transmissions so if theres an internal problem, the only solution is a replacement since it cant be opened to be rebuilt. But if you get one without any trans issues (which should be apparent already at 60k miles, mines only 34k and having issues), you should be golden. The oil consumption isn't in every one. Just unlucky ones. Hit or miss there. Great car though and cant beat the luxury feel and performance for the price.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
Simple - get a 2013 or 2014
spend a few thousand more then spend a few thousand for a bumper to bumper extended warranty. Then you will be VERY happy with a GREAT vehicle 1/2 the price of anything equivalent
I have had zero major issues (knock on wood) and am at 108000 miles now

bwest

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thanks! How long are the bumper to bumper warranties good for? I've really enjoyed the test drives so far. Drove a 13 R Spec and a 12 5.0 non-R. Just waiting for the right car to fall in my lap.

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks! How long are the bumper to bumper warranties good for? I've really enjoyed the test drives so far. Drove a 13 R Spec and a 12 5.0 non-R. Just waiting for the right car to fall in my lap.
That would entirely depend on the company you choose to get the ext warranty with and what they're offering. Do your research.

CLASSYRSPEC

Registered Member
Ottawa, Canada
Have had my 13 5.0 Rspe and new since 6 2014. No 2013 in Canada. Only had the head unit replaced under warranty within a year of purchase. That's it that's all. Find it hard on brakes as Good as the brakes are but after 31ooo miles, time for a front end brake job.

Not happy with speakers especially listening to XM. They buzz a bit. Have to turn bass down to-4.

I would goo with a later model if possible. Only diff 13-14 is heated steering wheel USA, Canada always had an, and paint colour shifts

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Have had my 13 5.0 Rspe and new since 6 2014. No 2013 in Canada. Only had the head unit replaced under warranty within a year of purchase. That's it that's all. Find it hard on brakes as Good as the brakes are but after 31ooo miles, time for a front end brake job.

Not happy with speakers especially listening to XM. They buzz a bit. Have to turn bass down to-4.

I would goo with a later model if possible. Only diff 13-14 is heated steering wheel USA, Canada always had an, and paint colour shifts
I agree about the speakers but if you turn it loud enough you dont hear it 😂😂

R-Spectable

Registered Member
NC
2013 R-Spec here. I haven't had any issues with my car. I'm at 82k now, bought it with 17k. The only thing I did with it was installed rigid collars which did a nice job at keeping the handling tight and the steering predictable. I've had no problems with speakers but XM sound just plain sucks as it is so compressed, some stations sound better than others though. Good luck in your hunt!

12Rspec50

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Steer clear of early 2012 model R-Specs. I didn't heed that warning and ended up having to swap my engine out for a 2013 equus 5.0.

MG8

Hasn't posted much yet...
all rspecs are pretty solid BUT as stated there are some issues similar with all years with oil consumption and transmission issue with all of the 5.0's even the equus not just 12s . keep in mind its all really a hit or miss and does not happen to every single 12-14 Rspec out there and if it was happening to all or most hyundai/genesis would of issued a recall for these issues . i have a 12 Genesis sedan Rspec owner since 2013 and had not experience any of these issues.

12Rspec50

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
sorry to hear that, but your issue is not a common issue.
I mean it was a common enough issue in early R Specs that there's a 38 page thread about it on this forum, as well as an article on Jalopnik that urges people not to buy a 2012 R Spec.

Mine is as good as new after i put in a 2013 Equus 5.0.

MG8

I mean it was a common enough issue in early R Specs that there's a 38 page thread about it on this forum, as well as an article on Jalopnik that urges people not to buy a 2012 R Spec.

Mine is as good as new after i put in a 2013 Equus 5.0.
sorry that you had to experience that. but
dont believe everything you read on internet im sure Jalopnik did not test out every 12 rspec , i mean obviously they havent tested mine LOL , yes we are aware but if it was serious or that common it be a recall
10 years with hyundai / genesis never replaced a engine on a any v8 4.6 or 5.0 and i had seen a oil consumption once . i been a 12 rspec owner since 13 and my father has a 12 equus ultimate neither of us experience these issues. proves that it does not happen to ALL 12 Rspecs or 5.0 .

12Rspec50

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
sorry that you had to experience that. but
dont believe everything you read on internet im sure Jalopnik did not test out every 12 rspec , i mean obviously they havent tested mine LOL , yes we are aware but if it was serious or that common it be a recall
10 years with hyundai / genesis never replaced a engine on a any v8 4.6 or 5.0 and i had seen a oil consumption once . i been a 12 rspec owner since 13 and my father has a 12 equus ultimate neither of us experience these issues. proves that it does not happen to ALL 12 Rspecs or 5.0 .

Oh by no means was I trying to imply that all 12 R specs were problematic. Just giving the warning to a potential buyer. Its just as easy to buy a 2013 or 2014 instead of a 2012 that may or may not be affected.

It's also my understanding that Hyundai USA noticed an issue with the early 5.0's bound for R Specs and as a result, changed their internal engine parts supplier. Which limited the affected run of engines.

This is purely anecdotal, and not to he taken as gospel. I'm just a guy who had my 5.0 spin bearings without low oil level or a low oil pressure warning.

MG8

Oh by no means was I trying to imply that all 12 R specs were problematic. Just giving the warning to a potential buyer. Its just as easy to buy a 2013 or 2014 instead of a 2012 that may or may not be affected.

It's also my understanding that Hyundai USA noticed an issue with the early 5.0's bound for R Specs and as a result, changed their internal engine parts supplier. Which limited the affected run of engines.

This is purely anecdotal, and not to he taken as gospel. I'm just a guy who had my 5.0 spin bearings without low oil level or a low oil pressure warning.
you are right hyundai usa has a tsb out, meaning IF not all 12s we get vehicles with oil symptoms there is a proper procedure we have to follow to fix issue.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.