I want some opinions on 5mm of pad wear in 5000 miles.

compguy024

Hasn't posted much yet...
Okay, here is the back story. I bought my Hyundai Genesis from the dealer as Certified Pre-owned. I have a copy of the inspection sheet the tech completed. They state the pads up front where at 6mm.

I noticed a squeal a week ago and figured it was a pebble or debris (Now I worked for Chrysler as an auto tech from 2004 - 2009 and then an assistant manager at a small repair shop for an additional 2 years. So I have seen all sorts of messed automotive problems). With that being said I went to work and pulled the drivers side wheel. To my surprise I found the inner pad down to 1.18mm. the outer pad was at 5mm, while the passenger side pads were at 5mm give or take .1 .2.

So within 5000 miles I had experienced 5mm of pad wear on one pad. Upon taking it to the dealership they told me it was normal wear and tear combined with my driving style...(yes, I really really really wanted to hit something when I was told that...especially the service writers face).

They quoted me $500+ to have the front pads taken care of...

I have attached a photo. Any thoughts fellow Genesis lovers???

Attachments

compguy024

fyi....I took care of the brakes myself...cost me $65. If the same thing happens I will know the caliper is hanging up...

SH66

Been here awhile...
Is it me or does $500 seem like over twice the dealer price? Would be closer for all 4 but still seems high.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
the original pads on my 2011 4.6 V8 sedan lasted over 130,000 miles. Front brake job at dealer going back with same kind original pads was about 600.00.

ComputerBudda

Registered Member
Okay, here is the back story. I bought my Hyundai Genesis from the dealer as Certified Pre-owned. I have a copy of the inspection sheet the tech completed. They state the pads up front where at 6mm.

I noticed a squeal a week ago and figured it was a pebble or debris (Now I worked for Chrysler as an auto tech from 2004 - 2009 and then an assistant manager at a small repair shop for an additional 2 years. So I have seen all sorts of messed automotive problems). With that being said I went to work and pulled the drivers side wheel. To my surprise I found the inner pad down to 1.18mm. the outer pad was at 5mm, while the passenger side pads were at 5mm give or take .1 .2.

So within 5000 miles I had experienced 5mm of pad wear on one pad. Upon taking it to the dealership they told me it was normal wear and tear combined with my driving style...(yes, I really really really wanted to hit something when I was told that...especially the service writers face).

They quoted me $500+ to have the front pads taken care of...

I have attached a photo. Any thoughts fellow Genesis lovers???
My guess is that they only measured the outer pads and their excuse was just to cover up their sloppiness. I'd be looking for a different repair dealershop.

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
Sounds like a sticking caliper.
I had a toyota with this problem 30 years ago. Had to replace one pad every 10,000 miles. I got lucky, in the the inner and outer pads were exactly the same.

Find a new dealer.

compguy024

Update: I wrote corporate and they are jumping in. I also used a IR temp gun and noticed the driver side caliper/rotors/pads are running nearly 100 degrees hotter. So I agree...bad caliper that should have bee replaced during the certified pre-owned inspection process. I am putting the full weight of responsibility on the dealership that sold me the vehicle. Corporate is going to direct me to another dealership as the other dealership I tried going to wanted my to agree to a $250 diagnostic fee.

Will see how it goes.

seanracerx1986

Because i worked in car dealers and have seen the used car inspections done good and bad so i wouldn't go by what they say, the tech's just measure from the top inspection hole on the caliper and most of the time it's wrong. sometimes flat rate comes into play and they just write something down to flag the RO.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums