• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Idatastart Two Way Remote - Any experience?

ryannai

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hello follow Genesis Owners,
My 2012 sedan 3.6V Tech PK Genesis came without remote start, which is mandatory here in Winnipeg.
I was offered a two way system by IDATASTART.
Have any of you any experience.?Recommended.?
They want 500$ CAD including install. The system comes with an integral bypass module .
Looking forward to your comments.
Happy New Year.
R

Ambush

Registered Member
Carolinas
Hello follow Genesis Owners,
My 2012 sedan 3.6V Tech PK Genesis came without remote start, which is mandatory here in Winnipeg.
I was offered a two way system by IDATASTART.
Have any of you any experience.?Recommended.?
They want 500$ CAD including install. The system comes with an integral bypass module .
Looking forward to your comments.
Happy New Year.
R
Hello there!!!

As car audio/alarm geek, I think that is not a bad price for an easy install and a 1 button remote. iDatalink makes Alarm BYPASSES so it was surprising to see them try at alarm manufacturing. There are many many options it just depends on which way you want to go. Any aftermarket alarm + remote start combo will offer longer range/add-on options for your automobile.

What brands of alarms/remote? Any of them! (Excalibur (what I install 80% of the time), Compustar, Avital, Autopage, Audiovox, etc). The BYPASS is what makes the difference from my experience of install. Whatever the installer feels easiest to install/program then there you have it. Since our car is push start, sometimes it can be a little difficult but make sure you feel comfy with your installer.

Just my 2 cents.

Ambush

:)

Last edited:

ryannai

Hello there!!!

As car audio/alarm geek, I think that is not a bad price for an easy install and a 1 button remote. iDatalink makes Alarm BYPASSES so it was surprising to see them try at alarm manufacturing. There are many many options it just depends on which way you want to go. Any aftermarket alarm + remote start combo will offer longer range/add-on options for your automobile.

What brands of alarms/remote? Any of them! (Excalibur (what I install 80% of the time), Compustar, Avital, Autopage, Audiovox, etc). The BYPASS is what makes the difference from my experience of install. Whatever the installer feels easiest to install/program then there you have it. Since our car is push start, sometimes it can be a little difficult but make sure you feel comfy with your installer.

Just my 2 cents.

Ambush

Hey Ambush
Thanks for your detailed response.
Just returned from the installation.
It seems ok.
I received two two-way remotes, the motes don't state what make they are.
The car was there 6.5 hours.
When received all configurations were lost.
They didn't even set the clock, but I'll settle if they did a good job.
R

Ambush

Registered Member
Carolinas
Hey Ambush
Thanks for your detailed response.
Just returned from the installation.
It seems ok.
I received two two-way remotes, the motes don't state what make they are.
The car was there 6.5 hours.
When received all configurations were lost.
They didn't even set the clock, but I'll settle if they did a good job.
R
You are welcome. That is very poor of them to not preserve your settings. Sigh, sounds like they never installed one before in a high end car like ours.

The remotes are prob made by DEI company or something. As long as there is a lifetime warranty on installation and you love the way it operates, that is all that matters.

ryannai

You are welcome. That is very poor of them to not preserve your settings. Sigh, sounds like they never installed one before in a high end car like ours.

The remotes are prob made by DEI company or something. As long as there is a lifetime warranty on installation and you love the way it operates, that is all that matters.

Happy New Year!!
After using the system for a couple of days...
Its working well. The distance is fair. I hate that there is a 5minute start limit e.g. after the car has started it will turn off after 5 mins. Its either that or the car detects the fob isnt in the car and will shut. I will need to investigate further. Also if you use the remote the keyless entry doesnt work. Is it supposed to work like that.
The warranty is lifetime..

Ambush

Registered Member
Carolinas
Happy New Year!!
After using the system for a couple of days...
Its working well. The distance is fair. I hate that there is a 5minute start limit e.g. after the car has started it will turn off after 5 mins. Its either that or the car detects the fob isnt in the car and will shut. I will need to investigate further. Also if you use the remote the keyless entry doesnt work. Is it supposed to work like that.
The warranty is lifetime..
The run time should be adjustable. Look in your manual. I have installed RS units and had the run time up to 20 mins. If the FOB is not in the car it should not matter. The iData BYPASS fools the car to make it think there is a key fob in there. That again sounds like poor installation or just not knowing how to setup correctly. I would take it back and fuss. Have them go over everything.
How many feet does the manual state it should work? Most units do a min of 1500Ft and now a max of 2 miles (COMPUSTAR for example). Not that i would want to do that for 2 miles give or take obstructions like buildings and trees.

Again, the keyless entry should still work regardless along with the aftermarket remotes. Poor install or the unit itself limits that. If they cannot make it the way you want it, have them uninstall it, get your money back or install a different brand. While the car is running do you take over by depressing your foot on the brake and then you can drive off?

Exacalibur, Audiovox, DEI (Viper, Compustar, Avital, Python, etc), Crimestopper, Code Alarm...just to name a few which I have installed before with a push start. The only thing that mattered was bypass. My mom's Lexus came with factory RS and it runs longer than 5 mins.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums