If your ride is a little harsh, check this.

CanadianGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I noticed small road vibrations present on my GV80 advanced model that does not have the software controlled suspension dampening. It also was harsh on small manholes in the road, you could hear the suspension working overtime in these situations. Coming from a 30k dollar car that did not have this I was a little beside myself. I stumbled across a thread that suggested to check your tire pressure(from an unrelated issue). Mine was above the manufactures suggested PSI.

If you have a harsh ride in your GV80, check your tire pressure. At least on the 2.5T Advanced with 20" wheels it should be 33PSI in the front and 36PSI in the back(check your driver side door sticker). This may fluctuate depending on the outside air temperature but make sure you are close to the stated PSI. All my sensors were reading ~38PSI, and I corrected to the the stated PSI and the ride is much smoother. Just in case you are having a unpleasant harsh ride, I hope this helps!

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I noticed small road vibrations present on my GV80 advanced model that does not have the software controlled suspension dampening. It also was harsh on small manholes in the road, you could hear the suspension working overtime in these situations. Coming from a 30k dollar car that did not have this I was a little beside myself. I stumbled across a thread that suggested to check your tire pressure(from an unrelated issue). Mine was above the manufactures suggested PSI.

If you have a harsh ride in your GV80, check your tire pressure. At least on the 2.5T Advanced with 20" wheels it should be 33PSI in the front and 36PSI in the back(check your driver side door sticker). This may fluctuate depending on the outside air temperature but make sure you are close to the stated PSI. All my sensors were reading ~38PSI, and I corrected to the the stated PSI and the ride is much smoother. Just in case you are having a unpleasant harsh ride, I hope this helps!
Just make sure the tires are cold when you set the inflation. If you check and inflate ‘em when they’re still warm, you’ll end up with an inaccurate setting. Best to let them cool for several hours before adjusting the pressure.

GV80Fan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80

Good that you checked your tires. I got my GV80 back from routine servicing, and the tires had 31 psi in all tires, measured by my own gauge, so they obviously did not check the tires. Someone else on another thread suggested putting in 36 pounds on all four tires and not splitting different pressures front versus back. I put 36 in all four and I like the ride better than with different front versus back. My other SUVs have equal front and back pressures Recommended by the manufacturer. Not split. I like the idea of Raising the front pressure on the 22” GV80 tires because, I believe, that the lower the pressure on these low profile tires, the more susceptible they will be to damage from potholes etc. So far, the ride has been quite smooth.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Th
Good that you checked your tires. I got my GV80 back from routine servicing, and the tires had 31 psi in all tires, measured by my own gauge, so they obviously did not check the tires. Someone else on another thread suggested putting in 36 pounds on all four tires and not splitting different pressures front versus back. I put 36 in all four and I like the ride better than with different front versus back. My other SUVs have equal front and back pressures Recommended by the manufacturer. Not split. I like the idea of Raising the front pressure on the 22” GV80 tires because, I believe, that the lower the pressure on these low profile tires, the more susceptible they will be to damage from potholes etc. So far, the ride has been quite smooth.

That was me and I agree with you completely, though I’m still experimenting. I’ve been switching among pressures at 34, 35 and 36 pounds front and rear. The differences are subtle and I’m starting to think I’ll settle on 35, front and rear as a compromise for the same reasons you state. I need to protect those tires and wheels! Don’t wanna deal with any flats or bent wheels. :)

GV80Fan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Th

That was me and I agree with you completely, though I’m still experimenting. I’ve been switching among pressures at 34, 35 and 36 pounds front and rear. The differences are subtle and I’m starting to think I’ll settle on 35, front and rear as a compromise for the same reasons you state. I need to protect those tires and wheels! Don’t wanna deal with any flats or bent wheels. :)
Good. Let me know how the all 35# works out over time. I just started driving with all 36# so need more experience with it. So far so good. All 35# sounds like a good alternate option also. Thanks for the tips.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Good. Let me know how the all 35# works out over time. I just started driving with all 36# so need more experience with it. So far so good. Thanks for the tips.
So far I think 34 is most comfortable and 36 probably protects best so I think I'll probably compromise at 35 all around.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
PS: here's a weird one. Our G70 specs are 38 front and 36 rear - go figure. :)

GV80Fan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
PS: here's a weird one. Our G70 specs are 38 front and 36 rear - go figure. :)
The higher front tire pressure in the G70 makes more intuitive sense because of the probable greater engine weight force up front. Conversely, having lower tire pressure upfront under the engine on the GV80 makes less intuitive sense to me. I have read a number of theories for why some cars have different air pressures front versus back, but so far The explanations I’ve seen have been either confusing or don’t make logical sense. So, unless I find out that the handling characteristics are definitely negatively affected (ie. Less safe) on the GV80 by having equal time pressures, I will test the car with equal pressures front and back. So far I’m happy with 36# overall (especially thinking ahead to northern winters/potholes/skids).

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The higher front tire pressure in the G70 makes more intuitive sense because of the probable greater engine weight force up front. Conversely, having lower tire pressure upfront under the engine on the GV80 makes less intuitive sense to me. I have read a number of theories for why some cars have different air pressures front versus back, but so far The explanations I’ve seen have been either confusing or don’t make logical sense. So, unless I find out that the handling characteristics are definitely negatively affected (ie. Less safe) on the GV80 by having equal time pressures, I will test the car with equal pressures front and back. So far I’m happy with 36# overall (especially thinking ahead to northern winters/potholes/skids).
I think higher pressure in the rear would be for load handling (SUVs) and lower for traction and handling balance (sporty cars). Makes sense to me but I thought it odd when I first saw it.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
BTW, I did settle on 35 all around. Handles very well and rides as well as possible considering our roads.

bill davis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
you have more weight up front that's why the pressure difference ,,,have a lexus es350 same thing ,,,more air front tires

GV80Fan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
BTW, I did settle on 35 all around. Handles very well and rides as well as possible considering our roads.
Terrific. I’ll try that too. Thanks for your feedback.

GV80Fan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
you have more weight up front that's why the pressure difference ,,,have a lexus es350 same thing ,,,more air front tires
Right, but Genesis tells you to put less air up front. Recommended by Genesis is 33# front, 36# rear for 22” wheels on the 3.5 version. Interestingly, “Car and Driver” said “The GV80 is balanced and athletic—shockingly, this luxury SUV is way closer to 50/50 weight distribution than today's BMW 4-series coupe—although not overtly sporty.” So, if that’s true, wouldn’t that suggest that equal front to back tire pressures would be OK, or possibly even better than lower front tire pressure? I don’t know the answer but I’m thinking out loud and curious.

Last edited:

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Right, but Genesis tells you to put less air up front. Recommended by Genesis is 33# front, 36# rear for 22” wheels on the 3.5 version. Interestingly, “Car and Driver” said “The GV80 is balanced and athletic—shockingly, this luxury SUV is way closer to 50/50 weight distribution than today's BMW 4-series coupe—although not overtly sporty.” So, if that’s true, wouldn’t that suggest that equal front to back tire pressures would be OK, or possibly even better than lower front tire pressure? I don’t know the answer but I’m thinking out loud and curious.
IMO, yes, assuming light or empty loads which is how mine is usually loaded. I’ve also been advised by a tire pro that an added 2-4 pounds is additional protection against pothole damage. Thinking that the front is most vulnerable (in my experience) 35# all around makes sense to me. It also makes it handle very well for what it is.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

GV80Fan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
IMO, yes, assuming light or empty loads which is how mine is usually loaded. I’ve also been advised by a tire pro that an added 2-4 pounds is additional protection against pothole damage. Thinking that the front is most vulnerable (in my experience) 35# all around makes sense to me. It also makes it handle very well for what it is.
Makes sense. I’ll try a week of driving at all 35 pounds next week, after I finish my one week Drive at 36 pounds all around.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Makes sense. I’ll try a week of driving at all 35 pounds next week, after I finish my one week Drive at 36 pounds all around.
I’m looking forward to hearing about your experience.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners