If you've had issues with Continental Procontact TX tires...

fubsy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
After looking at all of the tire threads and reading reviews, I have seen that the Continental Procontact TX tires have a major issue with the sidewall. I know that I experienced a problem.

Please do what I did. File a complaint with the NHTSA asking that they start an investigation into the sidewall issues with these tires. You can do it via this website - https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

You should also voice your concern to Genesis Customer Support. They need to stop using this garbage tire.

inmanlanier

Getting familiar with the group...
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
2015 Genesis 5.0 with ProContactTX tires. Since the post is 'issues with Continental' - I thought I'd share my recent experience.

My wife and I were a bit disturbed this past Sunday. We drove from Western North Carolina down to South Florida. The majority of the drive was in the rain front that moved through this past week (and caused ice storms up in Detroit). Early on in the driving in North Georgia approaching Gainseville, I noted the car got unsettled every time there would be any slight puddling in the road - I'm talking just enough water to note a difference in sheen - not large standing water. My tires have more than 8/32nds tread, so it's not that they are worn out. The pressures were 34-36 psi (I run a slight bias up front). Speeds were in the 60s and 70s. I experimented by turning the cruise control off and on, as well as other features. It made no difference. I received no sensor warnings, nor did traction control ever kick in.

When my wife took the wheel, she immediately started complaining. Twice in the time I was behind the wheel, I thought one end would step out, it was borderline violent (she was waken up numerous times when I was driving). If there was a patch of road that had been repaired that was across the full width of the lane, for a distance of 10' or more, the car would wiggle, rock and basically do the dance just like classic hydroplaning. In one instance the duration was long enough I could gently give steering inputs - no response - in other words confirming that we were hydroplaning. Fortunately once we made it to Florida, the roads were better maintained so we had few challenges.

Having road raced in the past and spent alot of time on race tracks, I personally have no issues with how to handle a car in these situations, but this is dangerous for normal drivers. IMHO these tires were borderline unsafe. I'm looking for feedback from others. Has anyone else experienced this? I know my prior DSWs and Bridgestones have had no issues like this at all. Please let me know.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
No issue with the Continental Procontact TX tires at all. Make sure they are above 40 psi don't run them at 34-36 psi.

samavam@msn.com

Sustaining Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Interesting that you mention 40 PSI as that was the pressure when I first checked the TP when arriving home after taking delivery of my new car. (G90 same tires) Dealer said the tires are over inflated at the factory in prepartion to shipping long distance to the states and he then lowered the TP to 35 PSI.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Some of this sounds like these tires side walls are too soft, maybe upping the tire pressure a little would help........

A lower profile tire would be nice.

tissle

Is there a feature within the car to check the PSI of the tires? or would I have to get one of those devices that checks it for you?

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Could someone please tell me the difference between the Continental Procontact TX and the Continental Procontact
Thanks

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Is there a feature within the car to check the PSI of the tires? or would I have to get one of those devices that checks it for you?
Thru the menu on the screen in front of you there is a way to see current tire pressures just scroll thru the different options to find it.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting to read how other owners running these tires on other models are having the same issues: http://www.continentaltire.com/product/procontact-tx-16565r15-81t

omegafiler

SUSTAINING MEMBER
TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Depends on your tire size. Could be 33 to 38 psi. Check the label on the inside driver side door frame. Also attached screenshot from page 8-4 of the 2018 G80 manual.

Don't forget to set tire pressure when "cold." Such as after sitting in the garage for a while. Not after driving.
And get a good digital gauge. On-board tire sensors are never 100% accurate.

More details on this can be found on page 7-44 & 45 in the owner's manual.

Attachments

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Some of this sounds like these tires side walls are too soft, maybe upping the tire pressure a little would help........

A lower profile tire would be nice.
Yes, taking in consideration the weight of the G80 also. Sidewall separation can happen to any tyre which is being run at higher speeds or over longer durations bring under inflated. Lower profile tire would cause a harsher ride. This is not what Genesis wants in the G80 or G90. But you can have at it, just remember; you'll effect the speedometer reading, the plusher ride, along with a bit more tyre noise also.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the sticker from my G80 Sport.
This is what the manufacturer requires and is general standard across the board for most automobiles. It's a guideline. Look at the actual inflation markings on the tyre itself then consider the weight of the G80.

- - - Updated - - -

Get a professional analog air gauge and keep it in the vehicle. Don't ever depend upon the TPMS system; except for when you moving and it comes on.

inmanlanier

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
Well, the infamous blowout happened to me yesterday up in NC. Right front stepped off the edge on the right side and almost immediately blew as I was bringing it back on the road. What a pain. The jack in this car takes forever to raise and lower. My next set will definitely NOT be these tires.

omegafiler

SUSTAINING MEMBER
TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well, the infamous blowout happened to me yesterday up in NC. Right front stepped off the edge on the right side and almost immediately blew as I was bringing it back on the road. What a pain. The jack in this car takes forever to raise and lower. My next set will definitely NOT be these tires.
That sucks. Do you recall at what speed and did the tire hit unpaved road/dirt or something? Also, how many miles were on them?

inmanlanier

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
I was driving approximately 35 mph, the right front stepped off the edge of the road. It was not a trite rut, but certainly not the grand canyon. It was soil/grass below pavement but I'm confident it was the road edge that sliced the tire. The tread has approximately 6 1/2 32nds left on this tire. It's hard to say how many miles since I acquired the car at 18.5K miles. The original Kumho's by my research were replaced by the recall at 4.5K miles, but the previous owner had damaged 3 wheels, so the Conti tires on the car had varying tread depths. I don't think this was that ~18K miles.
I'm sure many of us have many, many miles on roadways and have stepped off an edge more than once. I've never heard of someone failing a tire (other than the blogs on this tire) from things like this. I think this is a sub-standard design. The only blowouts I've ever had were MIchelins (in the 70s and late 90s). The Michelins failed driving strait down the highway. A local tire shop will have a Proxes 4 Plus for me this afternoon, so we'll drive down the mountain and get it. I don't like having mixed tires, but I decided on those tires as my next set based on prior experience with Toyo and my bud in the business who has a good distributor back home. As the others wear out, they'll also be replaced with Toyos. For anyone who has a love of these Contis - there is actually good pricing at Tire Rack - fronts $181 right now. Not me!

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm sure many of us have many, many miles on roadways and have stepped off an edge more than once. I've never heard of someone failing a tire (other than the blogs on this tire) from things like this. I think this is a sub-standard design.
I know of two instances, one being me at rather low speed too. Sidewall can be sliced by a curb or roadway edge.

You'd have to go back an look to see the edge. Could be a broken chunk of asphalt made a sharp corner. Could be a crappy tire too. It would really have to be investigated to say for sure.

inmanlanier

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
The portion of the slice has no wheel indications, and the slice is perhaps 2/3rds up the sidewall from the rim. The reality is that even if there were warranty opportunity (which IMHO there is not), all companies deny, obfuscate, and confuse these days. No one honors any claims without significant fights - especially insurance and warranty. Certainly I'm at fault for putting the tire at risk stepping by off the pavement, however this is not a unplanned event in the life of a tire. It should be one of what we called 'expected operating modes'. The tires should be designed for it with some resilience. Just like dropping a cell phone - yes, they should not warranty for that but they certainly design for it. This particular tire has a particularly high complaint rate regarding sidewall vulnerability. I will not buy this continental again.

Engineer'70

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have had two sidewall failures with these original equipment tires on my wife's G80 Sport. In the first instance, my wife struck a pothole at about 5500 miles and damaged a rear sidewall, causing a visible cut. This tire was replaced by the dealer with no offer of financial assistance from Genesis or Continental, although the former arranged a free tow. The dealer provided a loaner and delivered the car to me when the new tire had been mounted and balanced. Yesterday I noted a bulge in a front sidewall with mileage at about 6100 miles. I was driving and do not recall striking a curb, pothole, or other hazard. I contacted Continental, who will provide financial adjustment of an amount depending on whether or not the dealer finds a manufacturing defect when they replace the tire tomorrow. The replacements will be Michelins purchased from Tire Rack so as to remove one variable. Tire Rack say that they have not noticed any unusual number of issues with the Continentals, though, and that the sidewall problems are more symptomatic of low profile tires. While I have not seen any problems with the the original Michelins or two replacement sets of 19" Bridgestones on my Porsche Carrera S, my son has had all four tires replaced due to sidewall failures on his Audi RS7, which has 21' wheels, so maybe there's something too what Tire Rack say. He purchased wheel and tire insurance, which it seems I should have done. I am very happy with the way the Genesis dealer has assisted and hope they will remain a dealer.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.