If you've had issues with Continental Procontact TX tires...

inmanlanier

Getting familiar with the group...
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
A local shop out of Franklin, NC had a Toyo Proxes 4 Plus by 1:00 in the afternoon - I called them them at 8:20 AM. It was reasonably priced, they had me out of there in 21 minutes. The Toyo at first blush appears good. Very quiet (like the OEMs), good handling (didn't push to hard with the dog in the back seat). I'll get an opportunity to drive these twisty roads by myself where I can push it a bit more and can give feedback. The good news for me is that I have now know I have good, well priced tire shops at both locations where we spend time so I'll likely just keep my temp spare rather than look for a spare full sized. I may make a slotted socket to speed up changing a tire if needed, although now I know the trick with the lug wrench (slot near mid span to insert over the looped end) - it likely doesn't matter much.

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have had two sidewall failures with these original equipment tires on my wife's G80 Sport. In the first instance, my wife struck a pothole at about 5500 miles and damaged a rear sidewall, causing a visible cut. This tire was replaced by the dealer with no offer of financial assistance from Genesis or Continental, although the former arranged a free tow. The dealer provided a loaner and delivered the car to me when the new tire had been mounted and balanced. Yesterday I noted a bulge in a front sidewall with mileage at about 6100 miles. I was driving and do not recall striking a curb, pothole, or other hazard. I contacted Continental, who will provide financial adjustment of an amount depending on whether or not the dealer finds a manufacturing defect when they replace the tire tomorrow. The replacements will be Michelins purchased from Tire Rack so as to remove one variable. Tire Rack say that they have not noticed any unusual number of issues with the Continentals, though, and that the sidewall problems are more symptomatic of low profile tires. While I have not seen any problems with the the original Michelins or two replacement sets of 19" Bridgestones on my Porsche Carrera S, my son has had all four tires replaced due to sidewall failures on his Audi RS7, which has 21' wheels, so maybe there's something too what Tire Rack say. He purchased wheel and tire insurance, which it seems I should have done. I am very happy with the way the Genesis dealer has assisted and hope they will remain a dealer.
Update: Dealer believes that the tire struck a pothole or otherwise suffered external damage rather than a manufacturing defect. Continental offered 50% of a new tire if I purchased Continental again; that seemed like the definition of idiocy to me. Therefore, I had dealer remove the original Continentals and replaced all four with Michelins I had sent to them from Tire Rack. So far, the ride and noise of the Michelins is not discernibly different from the Continentals. I filed complaint with NHTSA and informed Genesis of the events.

Thread starter #25

fubsy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I did contact Genesis Customer Car and they reimbursed me for the cost of the tire I had to replace, due to a sidewall blowout. I then put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires, even though the Procontact TX only had 10k miles on them.

buellwinkle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That sucks. Do you recall at what speed and did the tire hit unpaved road/dirt or something? Also, how many miles were on them?
I am very curious, can we use an alternate Jack ? I much prefer to carry a small garage floor hydraulic jack, the mechanical jacks are a pain in the rear and risky and slow.... Jim

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
Nice to hear that Hyundai/Genesis stood up for you, Fubsy. From what I've read, that isn't what is happening from a number of others.

I'm planning to replace my tires when Michelin has it's annual sale in October.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It is interesting that the rear tire pressure for the 5.0 V* went from 35 in 2015 to 38 in 2018. I wonder if it should be increased in the 2015?
Could be suspension changed, OTOH, it may just handle better. I find a couple of pounds is better for that is just about any car. Can't hurt to try it and see if you can tell any difference.

buellwinkle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You've unfortunately validated my experience - for claims of any kind - insurance, warranty, refunds - deny, deny obfuscate, confuse - NEVER PAY. What a world.
You just convinced me to pass on the long term warranty policy the dealer was trying to foist on me.. I told him " you just sold me a car and now that I own it, you are telling me I bought something I will regret soon ?" he said " just trying to save you money ! ".... I do not expect troubles with my new car, but I was not aware of the useless low profile tires, I will drive her with a gentle hand and avoid pot holes.... jp

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
You just convinced me to pass on the long term warranty policy the dealer was trying to foist on me.. I told him " you just sold me a car and now that I own it, you are telling me I bought something I will regret soon ?" he said " just trying to save you money ! ".... I do not expect troubles with my new car, but I was not aware of the useless low profile tires, I will drive her with a gentle hand and avoid pot holes.... jp
You're better off buying from Costco (warranty included) or Discount Tire (usually $25/tire extra). I've done a ton of research on this. Let me know if/when you are ready to buy new tires.

dmoore7654

I am 79 years old and do not want to change a tire on a busy roadway. I had the ProContact tires replaced with Michelin. Tried to sell the ProContact tires but I think everyone knows they are a piece of crap.
Got no satisfaction from dealer or Genesis. Cost me $1000.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm wondering how big a problem the Continental tires really are? And why would Genesis put them on their cars if they were blowing out here and there?

I was just on the Canadian Genesis website and noted that the G80 Sport there has optional tires available.

Michelin X-ICE X13 for $1450
Pirelli Winter 50TTozero 3 for $1610

Both of these tire names sound like they might be designed for winter drive in Canada, but I'm guessing Michelin and Pirelli also have All Weather tires. I hate changing tires on the road, but around town it's not that big of a chore and my insurance company will send someone out to do it if I ask. I think my new Genesis has the same coverage with the company. IF I had a flat in from of Starbucks, guess what I'm going to do?

So my big problem with these tires would be on a road trip. Seattle - Scottsdale in January is on my calendar. My trunk with be stuffed and the thought of unloading it on the side of the road in order to reach the spare is NOT something I want to do, even if my insurance company sent someone to change the tire.

So, what do I do? Cough up some LARGE and get different tires?

Thread starter #37

fubsy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm wondering how big a problem the Continental tires really are? And why would Genesis put them on their cars if they were blowing out here and there?

I was just on the Canadian Genesis website and noted that the G80 Sport there has optional tires available.

Both of these tire names sound like they might be designed for winter drive in Canada, but I'm guessing Michelin and Pirelli also have All Weather tires. I hate changing tires on the road, but around town it's not that big of a chore and my insurance company will send someone out to do it if I ask. I think my new Genesis has the same coverage with the company. IF I had a flat in from of Starbucks, guess what I'm going to do?

So my big problem with these tires would be on a road trip. Seattle - Scottsdale in January is on my calendar. My trunk with be stuffed and the thought of unloading it on the side of the road in order to reach the spare is NOT something I want to do, even if my insurance company sent someone to change the tire.

As I posted earlier, for my peace of mind I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires, even though the Procontact TX only had 10k miles on them. They cost about $940.00 from Tire Rack.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX

I can only imagine that Continental gave Hyundai a HUGE discount knowing they're buying thousands of tires.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.