If you've had issues with Continental Procontact TX tires...

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Mavis Discount Tire | Tire Reviews | Continental ContiProContact

According to the link above, 86% say they would buy Continental tires again. It would be interesting to see the actual numbers of Genesis users who have had trouble with Continental tires. I did, but it was because I hit a curb at somewhere around 70-80 degrees from straight ahead. I wasn't going very fast, but it was severe enough to not only gouge the tire, but also gouge the wheel.

If these tires are as bad as this forum indicates, I think there would be a massive recall. Witness the massive recall of Firestone tires back around 2001. https://www.c-span.org/video/?159191-1/firestone-tire-recall

So, why no recall of Continental tires?

Disclaimer: I had to re-tire with Michelins because I couldn't get a replacement 245/40/R19 in a timely manner. Don't know if it was BS or not, but the few tire shops I called refused to put a different brand of tire on my G80 (left front) even though I told them I would replace it win another Conti 245/40/R19 as soon as one was available.

Last edited:

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
Most shops have to order the Continentals in, as they are "special" because of a foam added to reduce noise.

As for the gripes written here, most don't comment online unless it is a complaint. People are less likely to post positive comments. And from my perspective, most people posting problems live within urban communities with damaged road.

Hyundai originally offered the Hankook tires on the Genesis, which was a Ultra High Performance All-Season Tire. Shortly after the tire failures, Hyundai signed on Continental to provide the ProContact w/ContiSilent, which is a Grand Touring All-Season Tire. Why the change on the Performance Category? Unknown.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Mavis Discount Tire | Tire Reviews | Continental ContiProContact

According to the link above, 86% say they would buy Continental tires again. It would be interesting to see the actual numbers of Genesis users who have had trouble with Continental tires. I did, but it was because I hit a curb at somewhere around 70-80 degrees from straight ahead. I wasn't going very fast, but it was severe enough to not only gouge the tire, but also gouge the wheel.

If these tires are as bad as this forum indicates, I think there would be a massive recall. Witness the massive recall of Firestone tires back around 2001. https://www.c-span.org/video/?159191-1/firestone-tire-recall

So, why no recall of Continental tires?

Disclaimer: I had to re-tire with Michelins because I couldn't get a replacement 245/40/R19 in a timely manner. Don't know if it was BS or not, but the few tire shops I called refused to put a different brand of tire on my G80 (left front) even though I told them I would replace it win another Conti 245/40/R19 as soon as one was available.
Everything that has been written here by those complaining about the Conti's, you must take with several grains of salt.

Unlike yourself, some if not the majority aren't prepared to explain why they've had problems with the Conti's or take responsibility for their mistakes or neglect. This simply leads others to believe, the whole story isn't being told in most circumstances.

I can tell you, I've observed comments ranging from; out right fiction, to owner neglect. Tire maintenance is required weekly and includes; airing tires up, inspection of treads/sidewalls and removal of rocks or debris in treads. Most, just don't do even the basic maintenance and then wonder why they have tire problems.

If you got bad streets, it's not the tire manufacturers fault. It's the owners, for not taking in account the type of tire they're utilizing, adapting and avoiding road problems. These are low profile tires, made for performance. They aren't 6-ply sidewall truck tires and certainly not impervious to damage. This goes for any manufacture and most 50 and lower series tires.

I've even heard of owners running their tires under inflated in the 28 psi range or lower, just so they can have a better ride. This is simply ludicrous. Running psi's this low are detrimental to the sidewall, outside tread and even the bead of the tire. Not to mention, just dangerous.

Last edited:

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I've even heard of owners running their tires under inflated in the 28 psi range or lower, just so they can have a better ride. This is simply ludicrous. Running psi's this low are detrimental to the sidewall, outside tread and even the bead of the tire. Not to mention, just dangerous.
I had a flat several years ago, put on the donut spare (which was under inflated due to just not checking the pressure EVER) and a few miles later, hit a bump (might have been a small pothole) which compressed the tire, lost the bead and I was dead in the street. Due to my location, had to drive a few miles on the rim of the donut, wiping out the donut wheel as well.

If you do nothing else, make sure your spare has fully inflated (I think the recommend pressure is 60 pounds.)

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have these same tires on my 2016 Accord Touring. It also has 19 inch wheels. I have had 2 sidewall issues in 27000 miles. They were due to hitting potholes. I have had no issues with the tires I have not hit potholes with. The streets where I live have been under construction for a while and the flats were gotten close to home. I am having my tires looked at next week but I think the couple I have with 42000 miles on them now are still pretty good. I have them rotated twice per year. (I think these tires are rated at 70000 miles. )
I believe the issue is the low profile and it would probably not be any different if I had another tire with a low profile sidewall and was hitting potholes.
Reviews I have read about these tires also indicate that they are quiet and work well in most conditions most people seam to like them.
I have not had a sidewall issue in the last 15000 miles. I am careful not to hit curbs and I really try to avoid potholes/ bad roads. (most of the road construction in my area has been completed now.)
I do not have a Genesis yet but it will likely be my next car and I understand you can get insurance on the tires. If it is not too expensive I might do it as you don't always see a pothole in the road and these tires are expensive.

pa-g80-ownr

PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had my first (minor) sidewall cut last month in a rear tire. I was driving in a parking lot at maybe 20-25 MPH and clipped a small pothole. I didn't even think there was a problem as I've gone through bigger potholes, faster, in the past with different cars. I noticed the cut a few days later while walking to the car. In 10 years with a previous car (Infiniti Gg37-Sport) 225/45-19 front and 245/40-19 rear, I never had any problem with sidewall failures. This cut didn't seem like it was bad enough to warrant replacing the tire, but I got a non-repairable nail in the opposite rear tire two weeks later. This helped make up my mind to replace all 4 tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I also purchased a road hazard warranty with the Michelins, so I should be good for a while.

Attachments

buellwinkle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Some of this sounds like these tires side walls are too soft, maybe upping the tire pressure a little would help........

A lower profile tire would be nice.
I think my bicycle tires have sidewalls that are more substantial than these tires on my G80.. I blew a sidewall open upon hitting a shallow pot hole.... I was shocked such a minor hole at 37 mph would take out my tire...

phil1980

Getting familiar with the group...
December 31, 2018
6244F1B6-BC6B-4410-AE51-BB27EEEED50D.jpeg
476C8EAE-5519-4346-AC7F-ACC729857D24.jpeg

January 11, 2019
FE40D894-EC7A-44E7-AE48-FF143CCF68F1.jpeg

Same wheel.

And before that I changed the same tire due to a sidewall bubble at 3700 (it is around 12000 now).

3 tires down within 12000 miles of a relatively careful driving. Continental refused to cover first two since I was beyond their road hazzard warranty. Let's see what they will say now, after one week of usage...

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The question is; how did it happen? Whats the whole story, pothole, curb, what caused it? What PSI are you running in the tires?

I can understand Conti refusing, their road hazard warranty doesn't last for the life of the tire. You'll have to take it to a dealer and let them assess the damage, to see if it will be warranted. Conti isn't going to warranty the tire on a picture and your word, trust me here on this one. I do hope they replace it for you, however they are able determine basically how it happened. Sidewalls do not just separate without some cause or damage.

I've never had a sidewall separate on any brand low profile tire in my 60 years of driving. Even after hitting road debris, pothole or curbs and these include Conti's.

Sidewall separation and sidewall bubbles, generally come from pinching or hitting an obstruction with a tire that is under or over-inflated. Sometimes they don't show up right away, however it might take weeks. Sidewalls do not rupture from the inside, without some exterior trauma that causes the actual cord and rubber carcass to separate.

A. Tire Belts
Rubber-coated layers of steel, fiberglass, rayon, and other materials located between the tread and plies, crisscrossing at angles, hold the plies in place. Belts provide resistance to punctures and help treads stay flat and in contact with the road.

B. Tire Sipes
Sipes are special treads within the tread that improve traction on wet, dirty, sandy, or snowy road surfaces.

C. Tire Tread
The portion of the tire that comes in contact with the road.

D. Tire Grooves
The spaces between two adjacent tread ribs are also called tread grooves. These allow water to escape effectively.

E. Tire Shoulder
The outer edge of the tread that wraps into the sidewall area.

F. Tire Sidewall
The sidewall of the tire protects cord plies and features tire markings and information such as tire size and type.

G. Tire Inner Liner
This is the innermost layer of a tubeless tire that prevents air from penetrating the tire.

H. Tire Bead
A rubber-coated loop of high-strength steel cable that allows a tire to stay "seated" on a rim.

I. Tire Body Plies
This is the tire itself, made up of several layers of plies. Plies, like polyester cord, run perpendicular to the tire's tread and are coated with rubber to help bond with other plies and belts to seal in air. Plies give tires strength and resistance to road damage.

The entire carcass including the bead is vulcanized as one.

Good description of how sidewall bubbles a caused; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=159

Last edited:

phil1980

The question is, how did it happen, whats the whole story, pothole, curb, what caused it? I can understand Conti refusing.
I stated "relatively careful driving". That's avoiding all imperfections on the road if possible. Most of the drivers on the road don't do that. You can't avoid everything all the time in the urban areas. The tire should withstand certain common road conditions.

All 3 times it happened on major interstate roads with some potholes I wasn't quick enough to completely avoid. Not gigantic potholes:
3802E08E-629C-4A0C-B2B5-BEB18FAB773A.jpeg

The second occurance (tire burst) happened at 20mph when I took an exit from one interstate to another. Thousands of cars cross this spot on a daily basis.

Take into consideration that I owned many cars with 20 & 21 wheels with ultra-performance tires, sometimes run-flats, and I never had that many issues.

I can understand if it happens once. Bad hit, bad tire, bad luck or all of the above. And I can even close my eyes on the 2nd. But 3 in a row?! One can imagine how carefully you would drive the car within a few days after changing the burst tire. I am literally afraid to drive this car now waiting for another bubble or burst to happen any minute. All fun is gone :(

Last edited:

phil1980

PSI are set as per manual 34/38. Checked on a regular basis.

I have read it. Nothing that I didn't know before. What's your point? The car with 19" wheels and Grand Touring All-Season tires is not intended to be driven on roads with potholes? I firmly believe that there's something wrong with these tires itself or car weight & tire combination. It is just not supposed to happen on non-sport tires at such a high failure rate. I bet NM roads are much better than in NYC Metropolitan area, and it might not be a problem at all for customers in areas with perfect roads, but it's not an excuse to leave the rest unlucky owners on their own with this fragile rubber.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I can understand if it happens once. Bad hit, bad tire, bad luck or all of the above. And I can even close my eyes on the 2nd. But 3 in a row?! One can imagine how carefully you would drive the car within a few days after changing the burst tire. I am literally afraid to drive this car now waiting for another bubble or burst to happen any minute. All fun is gone :(
Given your history with them, I'd take the loss and re-tire with another brand. I'd not want them replaced because as you state, afraid to drive on them. Not knowing the reason, I'd at least change one of the variables.

phil1980

Given your history with them, I'd take the loss and re-tire with another brand. I'd not want them replaced because as you state, afraid to drive on them. Not knowing the reason, I'd at least change one of the variables.
It is a reasonable solution and I totally agree. I was just hoping Genesis would recall it as it did with Hankooks (those served me well) after a while and many complaints. It's a leased car, and buying a new set will definitely hit my budget. But it seems like I don't have another choice.

rroyce46

Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have been out test driving used 3.3 Turbo & 5 litre Gennies the last few weeks thinking of upgrading from my 2016 3.8 AWD. I have decided to pass & one of the reasons was the 19 inch lower profile tires on all these models. My car of course has 45 series 18 inch michelins & no tire issues in it's 24000 kilometer history & I have hit quite a few nasty potholes.We have lots of these here in Calgary. All 3 of the 3.3 & 5 litre cars( 2 G80's & a G90 ) had issues with the Conty tires either blow outs or flats or bubbles noted on the carfax in under 25000 kilometer histories or had highway speed vibration or lumpiness. I agree tire pressure is probably a big issue here.Mine are set always @ 34 lbs. cold .I still think the Contys are a s--- tire. Anyone have them & say they are impressed with their durability?
Getting off topic & also prefer the softer ride of my car & don't feel the need for more power but then I am almost 73 .That said I do also have a 92 Merc 500SL a 79 Alfa Spider too so I'm not dead yet : )..

Last edited:

rroyce46

Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
@ phil1980- What profile or aspect ratio was on your X6? I bet it was much higher on an SUV.
I think another contributing issue is the 35 series on on a heavy car like a G80 or 90 is just too low.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That is about .4" on the front and .5", that could make quite a difference I guess. I personally don't like Continental tires because the ones I had were loud. They do seem to get good ratings though, I guess it could depend on the application. In the case of the G80, my take on it is that it is more the driving that is causing the problems and not the tire. They do not have much sidewall so will not hold up well to incorrect pressure or potholes, curbs, etc.

pa-g80-ownr

PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had Conti EXTREMECONTACT DWS on my X6 20" and was very satisfied with them.
I also had no problems with the DWS on my 05 Acura RL, but after the problem I had with these Procontact-tx, I decided to go with the Michelins. The difference of course is the aspect ratio. The DWS on my Acura were 50 on a 17" wheel, compared to the 35 on 19" rear wheel of my G80. As I said earlier, I had no problems either with a 40 aspect ratio on a 19" wheel on my Infiniti. All this seems to indicate a possible problem with the Procontact-tx tires, at least with the 35 aspect ratio on the 19s.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.