• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

I'm at a loss...

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Right now I'm essentially at a crossroad with my G70 ownership. I'm extremely frustrated, yet feeling incapable of finding my way out of this without being completely and totally screwed over. This is a long post, I'm sorry.

Let me begin.

Problem: Last week I attempted to install my shiny new Lap3 primary downpipes. By doing so I unintentionally sheered off one of my turbo flange studs. When removing the nuts that hold on the downpipe to the turbo itself, the nuts all evidently were totally frozen to the studs, so the entire stud came out with each nut I loosened. Anyway, on the final stud (out of 4) the stud itself broke when it was mostly out - I think this happened because there is so little room to work with, I wasn't really able to come at the nut/stud at a perfectly straight angle, and the ever so slight angle I was able to loosen it from was just enough to break the stud.

I spent a lot of time attempting to remove the broken stud; but, due to having very little space to work with, I couldn't do it. Feeling extremely frustrated and overwhelmed with stress due to not making any progress, I decided to throw in the towel and call my closest Genesis dealership. Initially they told me that their soonest opening to have it looked at would be September 10th, but after talking about what happened they told me to bring it in that same day and they'd try and fit it in their busy schedule.

I used my roadside assistance in my auto insurance to have my car towed to said dealership. As far as I can tell they covered it completely, which was really awesome. Anyway, when I get there the head mechanic comes over and takes a look. He seems really annoyed and is totally judging me - I get it, though, and I probably would too. I mean, this is a brand new car, and I ruined it. That said, I told him exactly what I did - I was straight up honest with him and he could tell how devastated I was, after which he seemed to loosen up a lot. He told me that he will try and see if he can get the stud out, but he may have to replace the entire turbo if it comes down to it. I tell him I understand, as I don't really have any other options at this point. So we go inside the dealership and they ring me up, and the service manager tells me she will call me in the next day or so and give me an estimate on the repairs.

The next day I call the service manager because I hadn't heard from her yet, so I figured I'd just see if she could give me a really rough estimate on the price. She pulls up the price for a new OEM turbo, and it's almost $1500. I figure that's actually pretty reasonable for a brand new turbo on a brand new car. She then tells me that in order to replace the turbo, they have to pull the entire engine. I assumed this would be the case, because as I was looking through the shop manual it described the turbo replacement exactly as that - pull the engine, then you can remove the turbo. She then told me that if they have to do that, that they would need a new bench or table that was capable of holding the engine and tranny, and that they currently don't have an appropriate one at their dealership and she's not sure how much one would cost. I thought to myself, "well, why would I worry about how much it would cost? it's not like I would have to pay for it..." At the end of the call she tells me she'll keep me updated on what happens.

The very next morning she calls me and tells me she has good news - they got the stud out! I breathed a huge sigh of relief thinking my troubles were over. She said they'll put everything back together (ie new studs and they'll even put on the stock downpipe back on for me) and she will let me know when it's done.

Fast forward to today. I get another call from the service manager, she tells me there is a problem. The new studs won't thread in to the turbo, so they tried to re-tap the threads and they're not making any progress. She told me that their mechanic said that the material of the turbo flange is just too hard, that he can't tap it despite his best efforts. She says that the only other way to fix it would be to do the original plan and replace the entire turbo; BUT, they still don't have this special heavy duty table/bench/engine stand or whatever it is that can handle the bigger V6 in my car. She then tells me that they're having trouble getting a hold of one, and that they'd have to buy it. She tells me it is $5,800 just for the table, and it would be on me. As I'm trying to wrap my head around this she tells me that she's trying to see if they can just rent one, or if there is another way around having to buy the thing. I tell her that I can't afford that, along with the cost of labor and a new turbo - to which she starts talking about just how difficult this process is (which I completely get!). She advises me to call my auto insurance and see if they can cover any of it. We finish the phone call.

After the call I decide to call up a few shops. I've used tap and die sets before, but not on an actual turbo flange. First place I call is a machine shop, they say that they could figure it out, but they'd need the turbo out of the car to do it (which just brings me back to my original problem anyway). He then mentions that they could probably just use a helicoil on it - NOPE. I know others have done that on ruined threads in turbo's before, but not worth the risk! I tell him I appreciate his help. I then make another call to a local shop that does performance work and repair work, along with a lot of custom stuff. I explain to him what is going on, and he seems fairly familiar with this sort of thing. I try my best to explain to him just how tight of a workspace it is, so he asks me to text him a picture of it. I hang up and send him the pictures, and he calls back and says that it's hard to tell with just the pictures alone, and that he would have to see it in person to figure it out (which I completely understand). I begin to think that it's worth towing to this other shop and see what this guy thinks. After this, I call my insurance - already knowing what they will say - and guess what? They won't cover any of it. I wasn't surprised, as I didn't expect them to.

So I call back the dealership service manager and tell her that I want to see if I can have another shop work on it. She almost kind of blows up on me! She essentially tells me that nobody else could really do the work on this car because it's so new and unique, and how her mechanic has over 23 years of experience and he's used tap and die sets countless times, he's pulled and replaced and rebuilt countless engines, yada yada yada, and I get nowhere... She is quite the talker, hardly pauses to take a breath, much less allow me to get a word in. Anyway, she then tells me she'll continue to figure out a way to get that table, and in fact, they may not even be able to fix it, so how could anyone else? Also, labor alone would be about $4500.

The total repair cost will be around $10,000. This is something I can't deal with. I could make sacrifices and pay it over time, but I am wondering if that's worth it? I'd have to use my credit card, thus racking up interest.

I want to go up there tomorrow and ask them if they can show me the difficulty they're having. Maybe if I can see for myself that they can't tap those damn threads I would be able to deal with this better, internally.

My Dilemma: Here are my choices.

1) I let the dealer do their thing, and hope the cost ends up, somehow, magically, being substantially less than 10k. If it is, I'll suck it up and pay for it. If not, I would have to sell the car - either to the dealer themselves, or whomever the highest bidder is (ie privately, another dealer for another car, etc).

2) I tell them I'm taking my car back, unfinished, and have this other local shop look at it, and hope they can tap the threads without having to pull the entire engine. This would be a big risk, as chances are low that they could even maneuver a thread tapper in there because there's so little room. If they can't do it, then I'd be back to square one - no, behind square one, because now not only would I have to pay for 2 towing trips, I would make this whole process take even longer.

3) I tell them I'm taking the car to another dealer - despite them being 4.5 hours away - and pay for a tow truck to bring it all the way down there and risk having them tell me the exact same thing, all while having me be out the same amount of money, plus the cost of the extra long tow.

Sigh.... I feel overwhelmed with guilt because this is all my own fault. I ruined my brand new, expensive car, and to fix it may cost a fortune. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
We've all had these "Oh shit, what did I do" moments. Take a breath and think of it this way. There is always an answer.

My advise is to go over to the Stinger forum. There are some guys there who are likely able to help you. Take your time. Right now, you have that on your side, so don't make any quick decisions. In time, you will find the solution!

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Bummer. Sorry for your dilemma. Keenserts are stronger than a helicoil if the threads are really boogered up. I’m confused if it’s an engine block flange that needs tapping or on the turbo itself? If it’s the turbo, is the turbo out and fully accessible? Is it possible to have a welder anneal the flange to remove some of the temper so it’s able to be tapped? They could then reheat the flange and quench it to attempt to get most of the temper back. Just a thought. If you have to replace the turbo anyway you don't have much to loose. The dealer wanting you to pay for their special table seems BS. Why won’t a conventional engine stand work? Wishing you luck on getting everything worked out ok. I’d be super stressed and needing lots of high gravity beer to chill some.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That sucks. How much of a bill have you racked up with the dealership already as of now?
Definitely check out the Stinger forums and maybe see if they recommend a custom shop that have dealt with this engine in your area!
Otherwise Option 2 is how I would go. The dealer will milk you for every penny even if they can't fix it!

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’d look for the most reputable independent shops within a reasonable distance from you. Provide them with the description of the problem, how it arose, and what’s already been proposed. Give them all the pictures you can. Knowing that you probably can’t tow it around to many shops, see which of them is most trustworthy and best equipped to deal with it, especially if they may need to pull the engine.

Choose the best of those shops, authorize them to do the work the right way, and hope for the best. If things don’t go well, or costs can’t reasonably be controlled, sell the car and take the loss.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Paying for a table is absolute nonsense. This is a Genesis dealership who should have everything possible to be able to service and repair these cars. This is why I'm starting to dislike this car and second guess my choice. Even the simplest warranty/maintenance work gas been a fiasco dealing with my local dealerships.

Sorry for your troubles but I would try a different shop for sure and would avoid any helicoils or similar.

Definitely ask the Stinger guys.

Are you sure the turbos cant be accessed from under the car? I find it ludicrous that the engine has to be pulled to change a turbo.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
At the very least, I'd bail on the dealership. You shouldn't be afraid of leaving them as it's a non-option. It doesn't seem like they can fix it viably, and the only case of them being able to fix it requires you to spend $10,000, which isn't an option either.

Maybe look into car shippers instead of a towing service. Car shipping cost me $900 for across the nation, so a few hundred miles may not be too bad.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I feel for you man. I would be a wreck.
Maybe this is a bad idea, but can you get it back together with three of the four studs? If it could be driven that way, it would buy you some time to maybe talk to some of the Kia forum members and make it easier to shop it around for estimates from independent shops.
I don't get the "special bench" BS. Don't they have an engine stand? They're going to need one anyway.
Good luck and hang in there. Don't do anything drastic, you'll think of something. It may be a PIA and cost you a bit, but not ten grand.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thank you everyone for your comments, thoughts, and suggestions!

I wasn't aware of the thread on the Stinger forum about removing the turbos. Since it is lacking in detail, I am reaching out to the OP and seeing if he can give me some pointers. I'm beginning to think that it might just be best for me to pull the turbo on my own, and either bring it to a machine shop and have them get the studs in, or just do it all myself.

Tomorrow is a new day and I'll keep everyone posted on this.

EdsNotHere

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Todd. Sorry for the troubles. I would reach out to Genesis USA customer service and advise this the shop is trying to charge you for specialized tools needed for repairs on your car. I’ve worked at dealerships before and we never charged a customer for any tool needed to repair the car. That’s the price of doing business and they will make money on it down the line.

Is this Beaverton Genesis or Vancouver?

Oh ya and “the engine needs to be removed” to replace the turbo just like the “manifold needs to be removed” to replace the plugs.

Last edited:

orion007

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
You absolutely need to get your car out of the dealership yesterday. Do not let them do anything else to your car.
If you just need some more room why can’t you just unbolt the motor mounts and transmission and use and engine hoist to move the engine enough to get the turbo off then you can take the turbo to the machine shop to be repaired.
It’s not hard to do you just need to take your time.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
1. Can you gerry fix it as mentioned...bolt with 2 nuts as mentioned above?
2. Stinger forum...dig deep, etc.
3. Kia dealers...call around.
4. Find a 3rd party that are proven brilliant...tow it to them.
5. Other Genesis dealer.

The table debacle at this place is BS. They should be ashamed.

Note to self....”JB4 is all you need”.

Good luck mate...keep us up to date.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I know this is frustrating but you need to calm down, take it easy and overall you need to think clearly. The 3.3T engine is not new and is not unique to the G70, the Stinger GT has it and most importantly the G80 sport too. I'm 100% sure that this engine has been removed/changed in more than one Hyundai dealer nationwide (I could bet that some dealer at Texas, California and Florida should have more than one dealer able to do this job). Having to pay for the job is completely understandable but paying for the bench is absurd. As said before transporting a car from one coast to the other could be way less expensive than buying the bench. Start calling at all Hyundai dealers starting from the nearest to you explaining your situation and asking for price. I'm sure this could be done for just the price of the bench your dealer is charging you. I live too far from you but I have at least 5 Hyundai/Genesis dealers in a 20 miles radius. I could go to any of them and ask if they are able to do the job and how much the will charge for it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I really dont think they can justify having you pay for the tools they need to make repairs on the car they sell (and would need to buy on their own anyways because this is a common repair that WILL come up for other customers). I would do a report to the BBB and take the car somewhere else

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums