I'm tired of the tires

tissle

Getting familiar with the group...
I had my Genesis '18 G80 Sport for a year now. I already had to replace 3 tires and now just noticed a bubble in another tire.
I'm tired of this. I need to replace the shitty tires that come with the Genesis. What can I replace them with it? I'm going to have to replace all 4 I imagine.

Has anyone contacted Genesis about the shitty tires? Has Genesis offered to pay for anything? I'm tired of this.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
tire warranty is held by the tire manufacturer (continental) not Genesis, so Genesis will do nothing for you; they will direct you to contact Conti.

Conti will prorate the tires for defects like bubbles, as long as they aren't caused by road hazards like pot holes. the prorate will be based on the car mileage minus the warranty mileage, and only if replaced with the same tire make/model. If you go with another brand you are on your own.

a lot of people have been complaining about the Continental tires for 2 years, there are multiple threads on this forum about it. But as I said, the tires are not covered my Genesis warranty, they are covered my the Tire manufacturer warranty and this is explicitly spelled out in your warranty books and this is the same for all makes and models.

I've had OEM tire issues with GM, Chrysler, Lexus, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes and all of them refer you back to the tire manufacturer.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
After my first damaged tire I purchased a hazard insurance from our local tire store, $80 covers pro rated damage, rotations and road side assistance.

AcerOne

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I put Yokohama's on my G80 and G90. Zero problems, better ride and in my opinion, just an all around better tire. Look at the V405.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
What is everyone's thoughts on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+
I live in Georgia.
I had those on my RCF after the Pilot Super Sport one tires were bald at 15k. I thought they were great tires. While handling and breaking on the RCF was lightly effected due to the harder compound I believe the g80 won’t have this issue being a much heavier car and one designed for AS tires vs. a sport coupe designed for summer tires.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm convinced the car needs a sturdier rated tire, XL load rating with a Y speed rating.

rbwillnj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
After hitting a pothole I had a bubble in one of my front tires on my G-80 5.0. Based on multiple threads on this forum I put on a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+'s. To soon to say how they will hold up, but no complaints so far. They were installed by my dealer for slightly more than the Tire Rack price and the dealer includes a 2 year road hazard warranty.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm convinced the car needs a sturdier rated tire, XL load rating with a Y speed rating.
maybe, but I think the general consensus is more likely that the stated air pressure is too low for the weight of the car. F=33 R=35

IMO and that of many of us is way too low.. I run F=37 R=39 and have had no issues in 8K miles. my MPG average is 22.1, I get 360+ out of a tank, the ride is comfortable and I have no excess wear, bubbles, or any other anomalies with the tires.

rbwillnj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+'s. are XL and Y rated. The ProContact TX are not. I agree with running a little higher on the pressure.

On another note: The ProContact TX are ContiSilent tires. They have about a 3" wide, 1" thick piece of foam glued around the inside of the tire to reduce road noise. I picked up a screw in one of my rear tires a couple weeks ago. I took it in and had it patched, but the patch was under the foam strip so they had to lift it and clean off the glue to apply the patch. They warned me that the patch might not hold. So far no problems, but I keep a close eye on the pressures.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
maybe, but I think the general consensus is more likely that the stated air pressure is too low for the weight of the car. F=33 R=35

IMO and that of many of us is way too low.. I run F=37 R=39 and have had no issues in 8K miles. my MPG average is 22.1, I get 360+ out of a tank, the ride is comfortable and I have no excess wear, bubbles, or any other anomalies with the tires.
My AWD recommends 34F/38R , after my one wrecked tire (LF)I've been keeping 39 to 40 in all tires.

Last edited:

STL_Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
New here ... I picked up a 2016 3.8 last week. 31K miles. The tires are clearly replacements and they basically appear to be new. They are Continental DWS. During the road trip home from Chicago (250 miles in the rain) and the car/tires performed great. Quiet ride and sure footed feel. Had Continentals DWS on my Audi A4 in the past and they did well. We'll see how they hold up here.

Seejay

Registered Member
Houston
My gut feeling after replacing the OEM tires on my v6 Genesis with XL-rated tires was that I was in a safer place. The car handled much better for urban driving but the ride suffered slightly. I returned the car (lease) with those tires.

StarPower

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've used the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 for several years, and they've held up significant better than the ProContact TX. There's still a risk of a sidewall bubble with low profile tires on a heavy car, but it's a lot less frequent than with the TX. IIRC I've had one bubble on a very large pothole with the DWS06, vs a couple of bubbles and blowouts with the TX.

The DWS06 has significantly better wet and dry traction than the TX. They're firmer than the TX, but feel close to the original Hankooks that were on the car in 2015 (see below for more detail). I personally think they're better suited to the design of the car/suspension. Ride quality is great in normal/eco modes. They're maybe a little harsh over rough pavement in sport mode (with the adjustable CDC suspension), but sport mode isn't intended for rough pavement. I set mine at 35/37 psig.

Background on the original Hankooks: The 2015 5.0s were initially delivered with a Hankook high performace all season tire (I don't remember the model). These were subject to flat spotting, and were replaced by Hyundai with the ProContact TX after about a year.

TruShotta

Maryland
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I want to echo this. Did the same as posted and have the exact results. Actually got conti to cover 55% of purchase for new tires when I traded in the TX for DWS06. Wasn't easy to get this offer, but so wasn't having frequent blowouts. Their customer service is top notch as long as you speak to them respectfully.
I've used the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 for several years, and they've held up significant better than the ProContact TX. There's still a risk of a sidewall bubble with low profile tires on a heavy car, but it's a lot less frequent than with the TX. IIRC I've had one bubble on a very large pothole with the DWS06, vs a couple of bubbles and blowouts with the TX.

The DWS06 has significantly better wet and dry traction than the TX. They're firmer than the TX, but feel close to the original Hankooks that were on the car in 2015 (see below for more detail). I personally think they're better suited to the design of the car/suspension. Ride quality is great in normal/eco modes. They're maybe a little harsh over rough pavement in sport mode (with the adjustable CDC suspension), but sport mode isn't intended for rough pavement. I set mine at 35/37 psig.

Background on the original Hankooks: The 2015 5.0s were initially delivered with a Hankook high performace all season tire (I don't remember the model). These were subject to flat spotting, and were replaced by Hyundai with the ProContact TX after about a year.

dmoore7654

I didn't like the handling and road noise with the original tires on my 2018 Genesis Sport. Then with all the complaints about safety concerns I replaced them for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I think the handling is better but the road noise is still loud for a luxury car. My 2015 G80 rode much smoother and quieter. No bubbles or flats however. Doubt if I would buy another Genesis for $54,000.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I didn't like the handling and road noise with the original tires on my 2018 Genesis Sport. Then with all the complaints about safety concerns I replaced them for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I think the handling is better but the road noise is still loud for a luxury car. My 2015 G80 rode much smoother and quieter. No bubbles or flats however. Doubt if I would buy another Genesis for $54,000.
I agree that Genesis spec'd an under achiever tire on the G80 SPORT, but if you were coming out of a comfy 2015 G80 3.8 V6 with 245/45R18 you may have bought the wrong car for you.. With all due respect buying a "SPORT" model and expecting it to ride and be as quiet as your luxury tuned car is on you for not doing your DD before laying out your cash. Perhaps you should not blame the Genesis brand for your poor choice of model.
Maybe you could go back to the dealer, test drive a non-sport model, explain your issue logically, they might help you out with a good trade, after all they could sell your sport as a CPO with low miles.....might be a win win for you and them.

Last edited:

Seejay

Registered Member
Houston
I think the OP made a good choice with the Pilot Sports. Seriously considering them for my current ride.
A time back, I test drove the *One* G80 Sport that all Hyundai dealers had when a new model comes out, and the road noise was obvious. I also picked up on the fact that the digital systems on the car were about 500% faster than the 2015 Genesis I was driving at the time.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.