Imagine these sounds in a Revised Tau Genesis Coupe

DRS

Banned
great video and article... Flat plane V8. Massive power, and massive natural sounds with variable exhaust setting. Shelby GT 350. Demonstration of various exhaust settings, with announcer.

Now that sedan is not as sporty/light, maybe this would not be good set up, compared to previous R-Spec? Or, could also be what the doctor ordered for halo Genesis sedan..

For now, Hyundai management and engineers ought to stop drinking their soy drink boxes filled with estrogen, and put a revised TAU at least in the coupe.. Imagine this in the coupe. 8200rpm... Quick, before G7 thugs (see op"G7" news stories) outlaw naturally powered (hydrocarbon is from nature) powered free range transportation devices...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ng-shelby-gt350r-demos-exhaust-settings-video

DRS

Banned
Gah, I thought I left the "V8 in a coupe" forum posts behind!
;)

Yes... Let's "move on dot org" and leave behind. 😎 No one in the world wants expanded use and development of the Tau (or the coupe becoming a mean V8 machine).

LandoAWD

Registered Member
I wouldn't want it. The aftermarket/tuning options are next to nil, and the V6TT Hyundai has been showing at expos has far more potential in that market segment.
Let's not even talk about the weight.
If you spent a few years with wide-eyed tweeners rehashing the speculation every time some no-named blog brought it up, you'd get it. ;)

DRS

Banned
I wouldn't want it. The aftermarket/tuning options are next to nil, and the V6TT Hyundai has been showing at expos has far more potential in that market segment.
Let's not even talk about the weight.
If you spent a few years with wide-eyed tweeners rehashing the speculation every time some no-named blog brought it up, you'd get it. ;)

Oh, I get that. Still worth putting the word out. You are aware of the reports that the TT is only 42 lbs less (with plumbing, which is hanging way our front) that the Tau? The weight debate the tweenies or others put out there is nonsense.. The TT Ecoboost V6 less weight than their V8 by a couple dozen pounds.. Heck, in the Focus, the 3 cylinder turbo is as heavy (with all the trimmings) as the base 2.0. And according to their fuel measurements the 3 get less mpg.

Other auto companies that have well developed lightweight V8s are finding the same issue.. Does not save bunch of weight or balance over TT V6. Have to go to high stressed 4Ts to see enough weight difference to even matter... But hey,
the wheezing motors are all the rage now.. And the Faux CO2 limits are starting to falsely affect thinking. Instead of cylinder deactivation on a V8, with more cool stuff, they gravitate to the trend setting "turbo" to get the CO2 down.

Just the way it is. ��

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
Yeah, I know exactly what Lando is talking about. However, the 5.0 R-Spec engine in the Coupe in R-Spec trim is really what the market wants, and nothing less will truly satisfy. We've been there done that with the whole turbo-schmurbo thing and even with two of them it's just not going to satisfy the market, unless it's a V8TT, or a small V10TT, which can just as easily be done as a V6TT. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how some otherwise boring econo-engine is somehow supposed to be exciting because of a turbo. That is so 1980s.

I love my normally-aspirated 3.8 R-Spec, but if I'm going to spend what will likely be more money on another Coupe, it better be even more exotic, with more engine, more tire, and just more than what I have now, not less. IMHO, Hyundai just doesn't understand this segment of the market, and obviously didn't know how good they had it in 2010-12, especially when EVERYONE was calling for a V8 Coupe. I'm not 20, and I'm not fooled by a turbo masking an econobox engine. I want a big engine. If you want to give me a big engine with twin turbos, now you're talking about Ferrari or Porsche tech, which is the next level after the awesome beginning we witnessed in 2010-12.

LandoAWD

Registered Member
Yeah, I know exactly what Lando is talking about. However, the 5.0 R-Spec engine in the Coupe in R-Spec trim is really what the market wants, and nothing less will truly satisfy. We've been there done that with the whole turbo-schmurbo thing and even with two of them it's just not going to satisfy the market, unless it's a V8TT, or a small V10TT, which can just as easily be done as a V6TT. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how some otherwise boring econo-engine is somehow supposed to be exciting because of a turbo. That is so 1980s.

I love my normally-aspirated 3.8 R-Spec, but if I'm going to spend what will likely be more money on another Coupe, it better be even more exotic, with more engine, more tire, and just more than what I have now, not less. IMHO, Hyundai just doesn't understand this segment of the market, and obviously didn't know how good they had it in 2010-12, especially when EVERYONE was calling for a V8 Coupe. I'm not 20, and I'm not fooled by a turbo masking an econobox engine. I want a big engine. If you want to give me a big engine with twin turbos, now you're talking about Ferrari or Porsche tech, which is the next level after the awesome beginning we witnessed in 2010-12.
Don't get me wrong, I love a boosted 2.0L. The obsession started in the 90s with DSMs and I don't think it'll ever fade. The Theta just isn't stout enough, and was outclassed by 25 year old tech out of the gate.
I like the potential in the TT, but not enough to get me back into a 2dr. V8 wouldn't even do it.

DRS

Banned

"Been there, done that (turbo-schmurbo)..That's so 80s, turbo masking an econobox motor". 👆👆 the quote (paraphrase) of the day.. Cracking me up.

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I think part of the reason we're seeing a move to smaller engines is, besides what we've already mentioned here, that it "appears" "green" to do so. "Most" (and I really mean MOST) buyers think an automobile manufacturer is being more responsible by moving to smaller engines. This newly found respect from customers who feel this way

sells a lot of cars...

DRS

Banned
I think part of the reason we're seeing a move to smaller engines is, besides what we've already mentioned here, that it "appears" "green" to do so. "Most" (and I really mean MOST) buyers think an automobile manufacturer is being more responsible by moving to smaller engines. This newly found respect from customers who feel this way

sells a lot of cars...

Yea, I understand that all too well.. Good point.. The faux "being responsible" group think.. The question is, who are the ones who determine the message of what defines "being responsible" is? Not to be answered here... Will be many views on this in the "opt in" topic called something like "outside factors affecting our passion around Autos... But then, the opt in topic will have to be created, Sal.. :)

I understand the group think about being responsible about recycling. As a young, dreaded today by so many, red blooded white virile male, I used to lead "paper drives" to raise money for our student groups.. The town would come out with old newspapers we would throw in a provided semi trailer... It actually was a good thing for all. Others may disagree. Ok with me.. That is what incinerators and land fills are for (which today provide s bunch of gas to heat homes and power factories). This notion responsible living with tiny motors, should have a alternate education of reality. Problem too is... It is quickly becoming not a choice anymore. In the next few years, after the masses now are inoculated to the group think, tiny motors will be what is forced on us by laws. And that is also another set of discussions (which relate to Genesis in the future) for that opt in area of the forum. :)

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
BTW, I'm glad we can chuckle about it. Some of us know people who wouldn't be so amused. There's a, let's say "enthusiastic", group of people who bought one of the 2.0T Coupes and got heavy into modding it, way heavy, and they hate hearing such statements. They make some good points, to be sure, but I'm just not making a new car payment on a ~3200-pound sports car to have a 4cyl - I don't care if it's got twin turbos, three kits of nitrous, or puts 800+ to the wheels. I've had several 4cyl engines and just can't get it up for another one.

I can understand why engines are smaller and turbocharged, though, and it just about makes sense, except HK still puts that NA 5.0 in the Sedan and Equus. Why?? If they're so concerned about all those same issues, why give us an NA V8 in heavy sedans that are not intended for racing or modding instead of a smaller turbo engine, and then not put the V8 in the Coupe when the market is begging for it?? Ever heard of "Mustang" or "Camaro" or "Challenger", Hyundai-Kia? ;) Those cars all have their flaws, but they capture that gut feeling about "muscle" that turns so many of us on.

DRS

Banned
BTW, I'm glad we can chuckle about it. Some of us know people who wouldn't be so amused. There's a, let's say "enthusiastic", group of people who bought one of the 2.0T Coupes and got heavy into modding it, way heavy, and they hate hearing such statements. They make some good points, to be sure, but I'm just not making a new car payment on a ~3200-pound sports car to have a 4cyl - I don't care if it's got twin turbos, three kits of nitrous, or puts 800+ to the wheels. I've had several 4cyl engines and just can't get it up for another one.

I can understand why engines are smaller and turbocharged, though, and it just about makes sense, except HK still puts that NA 5.0 in the Sedan and Equus. Why?? If they're so concerned about all those same issues, why give us an NA V8 in heavy sedans that are not intended for racing or modding instead of a smaller turbo engine, and then not put the V8 in the Coupe when the market is begging for it?? Ever heard of "Mustang" or "Camaro" or "Challenger", Hyundai-Kia? ;) Those cars all have their flaws, but they capture that gut feeling about "muscle" that turns so many of us on.

I agree... I have no qualms with those who want to do the extra wheezing work on the T4s... Their choice.. But, I do not like and will speak out to those brainwashing busybodies who teach that it is "social justice" to end the reign of the red blooded white male contrived V8.. And use laws to force the issue.. I may chuckle at the sputtering sounds I hear at night near the large outdoor mall. But, they should be able to do those things if they want.

Social Justice will happen when we end the brain washing and trash talk on V8s. And the busy body ruler stop their insane quest to use the V8 as a big symbol of sin and savage days from the past (caused by the dreaded straight liberty filled white male).

BTW, your V6 in the R-Spec Coupe is the best V6 in the world (IMO). Hyundai did it right. In NA form, amazing HP and Torque stats. Smooth, almost indestructible, great mileage, almost perfect manors cruising or singing at full power. I had the privilege to drive 2012 V6 sedan as a rental.. Truly stunning version of the V6. For me, what could be better? Those same attributes in the Tau V8.. I get why you yearn for the V8 option... The Coupe would mop up those heavier pony cars. And be a coupe that would challenge any coupe in the world. Since you are getting low 4s to 60 and just under 110 in the quarter, imagine Hyundai tweaking the Tau for your platform..

With a little factory TLC, would put the M4 on its heals. And not sound like a 1962 GMC straight 6 step van delivery vehicle on Nitrous and open exhaust (like the M4 sounds). Hyundai, save face... Put a tweaked Tau in the Coupe. Will handle better than a TT V6 with all that plumbing and weight hanging forward of the front wheels. :) I am sure the TT 3.0 will be ok.. Should be a 3.8 instead.

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
I've not heard any recent tripe about social justice - all engines are the problem when it comes to the car's portion of air pollution and oil usage, and turbos pollute too. As long as it's a newer vehicle, it's clean and efficient enough to best anything made over 15 years back or so, which may be as clean as we can get. Yet, trading that kind of pollution for battery production at the scale needed to replace the world's growing fleet is not justice, either, but more like hypocrisy.

The transport, mining and production energy required to make and run a Prius or Tesla is in some ways worse than what is needed to make and run any large engine sports car. The next-next generation batteries are needed, or better still, no batteries, with direct always-on energy from a 100% renewables-powered grid, such as space-based solar and electric roads. We're nowhere near that, and until the do-nothing grid-locked Congress and their counterparts worldwide get us closer to that future and farther away from a past of wasting generations of resources on pointless wars over oil and religion, we're going to be driving oil-burners or using coal and non-renewables to charge poisonous batteries. Indeed, most of my electricity comes from an open pit coal-fired unclean power plant nearby, and unclean coal charging batteries is a worse polluter than my car, pound for pound. There isn't even enough coal to be dug up and trained in to power that plant at the capacity needed if all the cars in this area were Teslas plugged into the grid. It's insidious.

It's also too much powerless guilt to carry around when we have so little real market choice, pollution-wise. An illusion of choice is not social justice.

Anyway, yes, not to brag, but the RS Lambda 3.8 is very impressive, and due to the balance of the Coupe's chassis, puts it to the ground and not up in tire smoke. With the RE-11 tires on mine, it's actually difficult for me to force a burnout or drift - it just hooks and goes while most competitors are smoking their tires. I've dropped or held off Vettes, Jags, Porshes, Ms, Zs, G37s, and sport bikes, because it makes such a wide torque band and puts power to the ground so well. Like they say, "spinnin' ain't winnin'". The R-Spec Coupes also out-handle sports cars costing three times more. The 3.8 Coupe is one of the best kept secrets around :D

DRS

Banned
I was having fun spinning around 180 degrees the social justice" mantra... The group speak is fun deal with.

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
?? Guess I'm not following you... What do you mean?

DRS

Banned
?? Guess I'm not following you... What do you mean?

I hijacked the words "social justice".. To turn it back on those who use the words... Right now for the "social engineer" busy body warriors, these two words are a catch all code words for attacking the boogie men.. Normal "traditional" men and women..

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
Well (after some googling), that's a loose connection of academic ideas, but I give you points for the dance, DRS ;) In that light, I was saying it's silly for HK to downplay the V8 in pursuit of a V6TT when the V8 is right there in the Sedans. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums