Import G70 from Canada to US

slotmachine

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hey guys

Awesome forum you got here!
I've been reading a lot and appreciate all your knowledge about the brand.
I've tried to search for it, but haven't found something about this.

Was thinking to start a discussion about the feasibility to import a G70 from Canada to the US.
My model would be the G70 3.3T AWD Sport, which sells for MSRP $52,495 in the US.
The price in Canada is CAD 57,500 which is just about $43,000 :oops:
I haven't found any differences in the specs for the car - besides the km/h tach. It shouldn't be a problem either, as there is a mph scale inside.
Is the HUD adjustable to mph?
I'm originally from Germany, so I'm fine having a main km/h scale! I've owned a couple of BMW's in Germany and I really like the G70, but that's a different story.

I got an online quote from a customs broker:
BorderBuddy » Online Customs Simplified » Get your stuff over the border
They estimate the cost all-in to ~$2,300 which would still result in $7,200 savings in the end.

I've done a little research and if the Canadian Version, has the DOT and EPA labels on it, it would be relatively easy, to get it over the border.
There is a good Summary of the requiremnts on their Website:
US Vehicle Import » BorderBuddy Customs Quotes & Clearance

Can somebody of the canadian guys check if the car has these labels, to comply with the US Standards?
In case the G70 doesn't bear the labels, you'll need a letter from the manufacturer stating that this car meets all the reuqeiremtns in the US.
I'm not sure how attentive Genesis/Hyundai would be to provide that. For obvious reasons....

What do you guys think about that idea?
One issue might be the warranties. I don't know if you get the coverage in the US.

Living in the DC Area, fly to Canada, having a nice road trip in a great car back to the US, while saving ~$7,200 sounds good to me.
The question is: Is it worth the hassle and am I oversee something?

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this already. Does not make sense to do it if I remember correctly. Even if you could get it across the border you lose your warranty since it would be backed by Genesis in Canada and not the US. You also wouldn't have any of the other perks such as maintenance, valet, etc. If it paid to do it, a lot of people would be doing it and someone would probably even start a company to help. ;)

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I already know your answer. Warranty does NOT extend to the USA. Save yourself the nightmare and time...and just buy in the USA.

You would also lose all the 3-year services they offer...all of them. No point in spelling them out.

Dpaulc

Registered Member
Your gauges would be metric too.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
We both said that the warranty would be lost but have been thinking about that. If he lived in Canada and was traveling in the US and something happened, I believe he would be covered (at least based on experiences shared on the forum). If that is the case, would it matter if he lived here and not just visiting?

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They do “special tows”. They would rather flat bed the car into the purchased country...than fix and reimburse.

This works for both countries.

slotmachine

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That I've read as well in some threads, that visitors would be covered...
If I remember correctly, somebody moving from Canada to the US was able to get it transferred.
It was a Hyundai though and he had it registered in Canada for some time as he lived there and moved for a Job.

Is the warranty worth ~$7,200? Don"t know how much would be an aftermarket warranty, but that would definitely reduce the savings...
All the prices are MSRP, if I take some dealer discounts/rebates into calculation, maybe it"s not worth it anymore.

slotmachine

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Your gauges would be metric too.
I don't mind....
I'm in the US for job reasons and maybe I'm moving back to Germany in the future, having metric gauges would be a plus in my case.
There is an mph scale in the middle as well and I think you can adjust the HUD to mph, but I'm not sure.
Guess that should be ok to get it registered here....

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think, as well, when you were doing your research there was an added incentive to want to purchase a Canadian car because there were none yet available in the U.S.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dude...you have your answer. No point in speculation. Any digital display items are switchable between metric and imperial...but it’s a moot point.

If you do this...and you don’t want it serviced in Canada...you’ll pay OOP for a warranty...and you will still be lacking all the concierge services.

Pay up like every one else.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Also won't you have to pay 13% tax on your purchase as well?

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No...since not Canadian. Will pay State tax when registering.
OP would still have to pay applicable CAD taxes, but he could get them back later on. best bet would be to buy in AB where there are no provincial sales tax (like Oregon). he'd have to still pay GST (federal), but he could claim that back.

all of this assumes OP is still interested with a voided warranty. if he lives close to the border, he may be OK. my dad bought a US car and takes it across the line for warranty servicing since he's less than 30 mins from the border.

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
OP would still have to pay applicable CAD taxes, but he could get them back later on. best bet would be to buy in AB where there are no provincial sales tax (like Oregon). he'd have to still pay GST (federal), but he could claim that back.

One of the reasons why I am waiting to buy in my state - no sales tax.

Stonejaw

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hey guys

Awesome forum you got here!
I've been reading a lot and appreciate all your knowledge about the brand.
I've tried to search for it, but haven't found something about this.

Was thinking to start a discussion about the feasibility to import a G70 from Canada to the US.
My model would be the G70 3.3T AWD Sport, which sells for MSRP $52,495 in the US.
The price in Canada is CAD 57,500 which is just about $43,000 :oops:
I haven't found any differences in the specs for the car - besides the km/h tach. It shouldn't be a problem either, as there is a mph scale inside.
Is the HUD adjustable to mph?
I'm originally from Germany, so I'm fine having a main km/h scale! I've owned a couple of BMW's in Germany and I really like the G70, but that's a different story.

I got an online quote from a customs broker:
BorderBuddy » Online Customs Simplified » Get your stuff over the border
They estimate the cost all-in to ~$2,300 which would still result in $7,200 savings in the end.

I've done a little research and if the Canadian Version, has the DOT and EPA labels on it, it would be relatively easy, to get it over the border.
There is a good Summary of the requiremnts on their Website:
US Vehicle Import » BorderBuddy Customs Quotes & Clearance

Can somebody of the canadian guys check if the car has these labels, to comply with the US Standards?
In case the G70 doesn't bear the labels, you'll need a letter from the manufacturer stating that this car meets all the reuqeiremtns in the US.
I'm not sure how attentive Genesis/Hyundai would be to provide that. For obvious reasons....

What do you guys think about that idea?
One issue might be the warranties. I don't know if you get the coverage in the US.

Living in the DC Area, fly to Canada, having a nice road trip in a great car back to the US, while saving ~$7,200 sounds good to me.
The question is: Is it worth the hassle and am I oversee something?
A similar bumper to bumper manufactures warranty might cost $2 to $3k. Closest place to buy one for me currently is almost 500 miles away so valet service is worthless at this time as are routine maintenance services unless Hyundai would do that locally. So you'd still save about $4.5 to 5k savings after importing and purchasing a substitute warranty with the CD at .75 to the dollar. Also in canada no wait for exactly the configuration you want.

Last edited:

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
A similar bumper to bumper manufactures warranty might cost $2 to $3k. Closest place to buy one for me currently is almost 500 miles away so valet service is worthless at this time as are routine maintenance services unless Hyundai would do that locally. So you'd still save about $4.5 to 5k savings after importing and purchasing a substitute warranty with the CD at .75 to the dollar. Also in canada no wait for exactly the configuration you want.
Where are you located at? A Hyundai dealer would do the service but you would have to pay for it. Only Genesis dealers will perform the included maintenance.

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
We both said that the warranty would be lost but have been thinking about that. If he lived in Canada and was traveling in the US and something happened, I believe he would be covered (at least based on experiences shared on the forum). If that is the case, would it matter if he lived here and not just visiting?
But in this case he would probability want to register it in the US. I am pretty sure that will void it

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.