Inside door "grips" on 2013 coupe

dbx

Registered Member
I bought a 2013 coupe 5mths ago, and I'm so busy that I haven't had time to fully check out a lot of features/faults of this car.

So....I'd immediately noticed what looks like "chipping" on the inside door grasp/handle as soon as I bought it, and let it go as "previous owner" somehow (like with a watch/bracelet etc...) caused this.

Fast forward; I recently hung an air freshener on the door release of the passenger side of the car (can't stand hanging from the mirror), and after 3wks....the plastic film over the "brushed metal" finish "bubbled" the plastic film on that side.

I will check tomorrow (in daylight), but please tell me that this truly is a basic, plastic film that is meant to be removed!?! Don't laugh, as my eyesight is not so great these days:)

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Sorry, I'm not sure but that's a great question. What does it look like now that the film has been removed? Does it still look good or does it appear to be "missing something"? I know your eyes aren't the greatest but maybe you could take a picture and post it here...

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
If there's a plastic film there, it's from the dealer. The handles are quite sturdy on mine, a plastic trimmed with a snakeskin-like leatherish material. That said, maybe the air freshener's chemicals have damaged the plastic. A picture would help.

dbx

Registered Member
If there's a plastic film there, it's from the dealer. The handles are quite sturdy on mine, a plastic trimmed with a snakeskin-like leatherish material. That said, maybe the air freshener's chemicals have damaged the plastic. A picture would help.

OK, got home in time for daylight being left to snap these:

Oops, been a few yrs since I embedded a pic. I uploaded to PB, but their new format is confusing. Do I use IMG tags? I aslo can't recall where to "cut" the link :-(

Bottom line; it appears that this is a protective coating that the original owner never removed. The driver's side (probably through use/handling) "hardened", but can be chipped away to show a smooth chrome surface underneath. The passenger side is newly exposed because of the air freshener that rested against it. It is a soft plastic (common in coating appliances, etc..). I just need to figure out the safest way to remove it from both handles, so as not to harm the chrome finish below. I will try to accomplish this on Thursday and report back.

Last edited:

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
Here's one of them...

^^ I used the image control in the editor and pasted the direct image link.

Wow, other than the basic shape, it's very different from my car. Mine doesn't have this coating, or at least, whatever mine has is not as opaque as that at all. Mine looks like the part under the opaque coating, and is surrounded by a black lizard leather material, other black leather material, red leather, and then hard plastic...

Anyway, if you so decide, you can peel that coating off and try to polish up the surface where it's lightly scratched.

dbx

Registered Member
Anyway, if you so decide, you can peel that coating off and try to polish up the surface where it's lightly scratched.

Thanks for fixing pic! And yes, that's ^ what I plan on doing. The pic doesn't show it clearly, but this is the passenger side...and the one that air freshener affected. I believe the coating should have been removed when first purchased, but that the original owner didn't know to do it. Therefore, heat/time hardened the thin coating to the point where it no longer was obvious what it was. The other pic that I wasn't able to post is of the driver's side, and it appears clear the the surface beneath is a perfect, shiny, chrome type of finish. I just wanted confirmation from those who may know for sure. The interior of this car is nearly flawless, with this handle issue being the one exception (and mystery).

I'll be sure to post a conclusion to this when I've got some time to attend to it (by the weekend, for sure).

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
Yeah, once I saw the pics I knew it wasn't a dealer coating, but that's irrelevant.

You could peel it off easily, it seems, but I'd be careful about the edges being jagged. First, you could try to carefully score this coating/material with a knife around the edges in some tasteful way that suits you (say as a 5mm border around the feature). Then, the peeling won't create jagged edges. Finish with a protectant or polish. Otherwise, you may have to disassemble and see if these handle insets can come away from the surrounding trim (I don't know if they do, myself, but I'm doubtin' it).

Top Gear

Been here awhile...

dbx

Registered Member
Yeah, once I saw the pics I knew it wasn't a dealer coating, but that's irrelevant.

You could peel it off easily, it seems, but I'd be careful about the edges being jagged. First, you could try to carefully score this coating/material with a knife around the edges in some tasteful way that suits you (say as a 5mm border around the feature). Then, the peeling won't create jagged edges. Finish with a protectant or polish. Otherwise, you may have to disassemble and see if these handle insets can come away from the surrounding trim (I don't know if they do, myself, but I'm doubtin' it).

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised that others haven't mentioned this defect. And yes, I'm now calling it a defect. When I got in the car this morning, I looked at it.....and realized that it was meant to be a "brushed nickel" finish, which matches the rest of the other pieces of the interior. It's not a protective coating, but rather, a poor covering. I may end up with shiny chrome handles if I "scrape" it off, but I'd rather have a dealership make it right. Any chance that (with 3yrs warranty left) I could get them to fix this? Or am I likely, SOL?

dbx

Registered Member
Ah, I wasn't sure. Also that gives me another idea, in that you could simply cut or buy an adhesive material to cover this up, filling in the missing parts first, or order something like this: http://importshark.com/catalog/prod.../1477/osCsid/87898391138fea8edc0fdaafdc3c9203

I shouldn't have to even think about doing that, but thanks, sincerely, for the suggestion. I'm not going to have a fit about this, but I'll admit, it DOES make me think of Hyundai of the 90's. They've come a long way, but still have much to learn. Yes, it's a base model, but is barely 2yrs old.

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
I know it's frustrating, but you should resist concluding this is a Hyundai issue or defect. You bought a used car and there will be mysteries like this with used cars. See if you can remove the handle insets, and then you'll have many options for a project. I'd be tempted as a first step to simply peel all of this coating off once you have the handle removed. Might be problem solved. The dealer will be no help on this, I'm guessing.

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
Except, dbx has a 2013 Base GC ;)

You need to fully remove the door panel (3 hidden screws in the lower grab under a cover, in the door release behind the pull, and at the mirror after popping off the black cover, then take care with pop-rivets all around and wire plugs behind), then there's a screw on the backside to allow that damaged inset to pop out.

I'd try the passenger side first and see how just peeling alone works. Maybe put it back together and see how you feel about it. If that's not good enough, then order some sort of replacements, etc.

(ps. The site owner doesn't want us to link to rival sites from here, or even suggest there is DIY content elsewhere, which sometimes makes responding to problems here quite a challenge)

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
You can post the URL if you want. I'd rather it not be LINKED, however, as I told a few people spamming for that site years ago that I'd never allow links as a result of their persistence. If the url gets messed up, just use dashes.

Otherwise, if this were me, I'd just like to see what the handle looked like without the coating on. It may actually look better - or - good enough as is. You never know...

dbx

Registered Member
Except, dbx has a 2013 Base GC ;)

You need to fully remove the door panel (3 hidden screws in the lower grab under a cover, in the door release behind the pull, and at the mirror after popping off the black cover, then take care with pop-rivets all around and wire plugs behind), then there's a screw on the backside to allow that damaged inset to pop out.

I'd try the passenger side first and see how just peeling alone works. Maybe put it back together and see how you feel about it. If that's not good enough, then order some sort of replacements, etc.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to find time tomorrow to "scrape" off/remove "whatever" on at least one handle, and then reassess at that point. It's perplexing, because at first, I was sure it was protective coating. And then, I convinced myself it was a defective coating, as it mirrored the "brushed nickel/satin" finish on the instrument bezels.

Oh, and I noticed "nicks" on the door lock levers, as well! In other words, as if those can be peeled off, as well!

If I had to guess again, at this point in this discovery, my gut tells me it's a defect; that the company took chrome finished parts....and tried to modify their look with an inferior process/technique. But again, I will let everyone here know what I find out.

Otherwise, if this were me, I'd just like to see what the handle looked like without the coating on. It may actually look better - or - good enough as is. You never know...

This is true, but I really liked the brushed nickel look. On a less than 2yr old model, this shouldn't be happening.

Top Gear

Been here awhile...
You can post the URL if you want. I'd rather it not be LINKED...
Well, links are formed automatically upon posting, so my suggestion is to modify the software to change links you want to block (or render unlinked) upon our posting the comment. You could also/instead do all links this way so they link to an internal page and register in the DB if you like, then it's easy to do a "You are leaving Genesis Owners" type of page. We can PM in more detail, if you like.

...It's perplexing, because at first, I was sure it was protective coating. And then, I convinced myself it was a defective coating, as it mirrored the "brushed nickel/satin" finish on the instrument bezels. Oh, and I noticed "nicks" on the door lock levers, as well! In other words, as if those can be peeled off, as well! If I had to guess again, at this point in this discovery, my gut tells me it's a defect; that the company took chrome finished parts....and tried to modify their look with an inferior process/technique. But again, I will let everyone here know what I find out.

Anyway, dbx, that sounds good, and I'm glad you're off the ledge, so to speak ;) Again, my pull levers and other bits are black, not chromed plastic. Is yours the Premium 2.0T or the Base 2.0T?

Here are generic eBay shots of what mine look like. The black at the top is the "lizard skin" material, extending to around the handle insets (which as you can see are more matte). The red and black in the center are leather or leather-ish, and the rest is textured plastic.

dbx

Registered Member
Anyway, dbx, that sounds good, and I'm glad you're off the ledge, so to speak ;) Again, my pull levers and other bits are black, not chromed plastic. Is yours the Premium 2.0T or the Base 2.0T?

I have the base model. The purchase was somewhat of a whim for me. I love the body style, but I'm also a cheap ba$tard. Once I compared prices and features, I decided that $16K for a 2013 model (w/20K miles) 2.0T was all I needed. Having grown up as a teen in the 70's, and after restoring a 69' Z/28 8yrs ago, I soon realized that using its full power was nearly futile. Laws, society, traffic congestion, etc., has changed almost everything for muscle car enthusiasts. Beside turning heads, my only thrill was to do loop trips on & off I-85; killing it on on-ramps and entering traffic at 100+mph....praying that there wouldn't be a state trooper in the mix. The 2.0T is as much car as a 3.8 or even 5.0 in today's "real life" setting (in my world :)). Even when traveling on county/country roads, wanting to open it up....to know that I could have a car that would beat my 2.0T by a second or two.....is now a silly factor, for me. Did I mention that I'm a practical (cheap) person? :D. But I digress............

Here are generic eBay shots of what mine look like. The black at the top is the "lizard skin" material, extending to around the handle insets (which as you can see are more matte). The red and black in the center are leather or leather-ish, and the rest is textured plastic.

Beside the red, my door looks the same (grip included). I tried to scrape off the finish of the grip just hrs ago, and I stopped. I used a credit card, as I didn't want to mar the chrome finish beneath. It worked well to start with, but became difficult trying to attack the main facing of the grip. I need to rethink this, and find a better solution (maybe, an actual solution...as in a solvent that will take the top finish off, but leave the chrome intact).

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums