intermittent starting issues

NJTom

Registered Member
Thread starter #1
I have a 2009 Genny V6 sedan with about 82K. Owned since 2012. Love the car.

A few months ago the problem began and I can't figure out why or what is causing it. I did a search but didn't find anything related to my issue. Maybe I missed something during the search. any help would be appreciated.

I hope to describe the issue effective:
The car sometimes doesn't start when pushing the "start/stop" button. All the dashboard lights will light up and the steering wheel will move into 'driving' position but the engine wont turn over...nothing at all. It's like the brake pedal isn't pushed in. push the button again and everything turns off. Push a third time and then the engine may start. (sometimes not - repeat procedure). Push the brake harder, hold the start/stop button longer. All of these do not seem to affect the issue.

As the few weeks go by, the problem began to be more common. and recently it is just about every time I try to start the car. The car battery was replaced about a year ago. I've changed the battery in the remote keys, tried both sets of keys, and even installed the key fob in the dash-holder before starting. The same intermittent starting issue would happen no matter what I try differently.

I wonder if a button on the brake pedal (to tell the car the brake has been engaged) is not making good contact. It appears the remote is talking to the car but the starter or brake pedal is not communicating as it should. Or is there something else I'm missing?

Has anyone had experienced the same/similar situation?

Thanks.

NJTom

Registered Member
Thread starter #4
I'm fairly certain the stop lamp switch was changed by the dealer during the recall last year or two. Is it possible the 'new' part could be prematurely going bad and causing this? Thanks!

I would like to see if I can figure this problem out (with the wonderful knowledge of this site) before breaking my wallet to the dealer.

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'm fairly certain the stop lamp switch was changed by the dealer during the recall last year or two. Is it possible the 'new' part could be prematurely going bad and causing this? Thanks!
Anything is possible, switches are like light bulbs, they could work forever or they might last 5 minutes.
Intermittent problems are just that, near impossible to find unless you happen to catch it while it's malfunctioning.
If the dealer can't reproduce the problem and/or it starts every time for them, there is no problem.

jlindh

Registered Member
Why not have someone watch the brake lights when you try to start the car. If the lights don't come on and the car doesn't start, you probably have a bad switch. Conversely, if the lights come on and the car doesn't start, I'd say your switch is good.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

I would like to see if I can figure this problem out (with the wonderful knowledge of this site) before breaking my wallet to the dealer.
The original switch was too sensitive, causing brake lights to illuminate without the brakes actually engaged, so that was the nature of the recall on that part.

It does sound like that is the problem, even if it has not worn out, maybe it is out of adjustment or something.

NJTom

Registered Member
Thread starter #8
thanks for the input. I'll keep an eye on the brake lights when starting the car each time and report back in a few days.

TagHDI

Hasn't posted much yet...
Having the same problem on my 2011 4.6 it started after the day after the dealer changed the oil (Saturday) then it happened again Sunday so when I finally got it started I drove it back. Monday morning at the dealer car started like a champ at least 6 times in a row. They checked it out and because there were no codes they claimed the battery tested low. Well I drove it for a couple of weeks only having the problem once then it happened again and I decided to get a new battery. New battery installed happened again. I have read other posts that it is the brake switch. I have had luck when starting the car to hit the start button quickly and not leaving it depressed until the car starts. I have 102,000 miles and am now considering getting rid of it especially if there are no codes and it has to be duplicated at the dealer.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Having the same problem on my 2011 4.6 it started after the day after the dealer changed the oil (Saturday) then it happened again Sunday so when I finally got it started I drove it back. Monday morning at the dealer car started like a champ at least 6 times in a row. They checked it out and because there were no codes they claimed the battery tested low. Well I drove it for a couple of weeks only having the problem once then it happened again and I decided to get a new battery. New battery installed happened again. I have read other posts that it is the brake switch. I have had luck when starting the car to hit the start button quickly and not leaving it depressed until the car starts. I have 102,000 miles and am now considering getting rid of it especially if there are no codes and it has to be duplicated at the dealer.
You have an extended warranty AND your car isn't paid for yet. Two great reasons to get it repaired.

NJTom

Registered Member
Thread starter #11
ALL, PLEASE HELP!

My starting issues continue. I've replaced the stop light switch with a brand new one from the dealer and the car still occasionally doesn't start right away.

I press the brake pedal and the brake lights illuminate. Push the ignition button and sometimes it starts right away. Other times, the dash boards lights but the car doesn't start. Then I turn it off and try again; usually starting on the 2nd or 3rd try. Other times, push the ignition button and wait 10-15 seconds and the car will start after a bit.

As for the dash lighting portion, I'll try to explain what it does. You know when you push the ignition button once WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal, a few light come on the dash as part of the auxiliary power. Then if pushing the button again, the remaining of the dash comes on including the climate control and center console. It seems as though this is what is happening even though I'm pressing the brake pedal - goes through the auxiliary power, then the full "ON" then eventually to start the engine.

I assume that with a key start, the key is inserted and when turning the key to "ON", it sends a signal to the starter which will start the car. Is this the same process with the push start? How does it specifically work and what parts are involved? I feel like there is a 'control board' that isn't sending a signal to the ecu/engine/starter for the engine to kick over. Something is 'delayed' with the process....but what?

I don't want to start pouring money into every part associated into the starting system to see what may fix this issue. Anyone with knowledge of the push-button starting system, please chime in. I spoke to the local dealer and they are stumped. Said about changing the brake switch which I did. Now what to do?

Thank you in advance for help with this frustrating situation!

memphiskane

Registered Member
I had a similar problem twice now. Turns out my issue was the starter was starting to die both times. I've got 72000 miles on my 2012 5.0, first one died around 35000 miles and the second at 70000. That being said I believe the dealer did not use a new part when they replaced it the first time. I did it myself the second.

When you press the start button with the windows down do you hear the starter click but not turn over. If so I would pull the starter and take it to Napa to be tested for amperage draw. Mine was pulling somewhere around 180 amps to move. I think max on the repair manual is like 85 amps.

NJTom

Registered Member
Thread starter #13
Interesting thought. Too bad that since I read this, my car has started without issue. I'll listen for a clicking noise the next time the issue happens.

On a side note, could it be the battery? I replaced the battery last year with a new Bosch battery from pepboys. The CCA and CC were much higher than the OEM battery so I assume all is fine with that.

memphiskane

Registered Member
Mine was all over the place. It would work for a week then just stop then work for a couple days then I would have to hit the button like 6 times. Was like that for a couple months both times. No rhyme or reason to it. I had replaced the battery as well. I thought might be a ground problem. I had found a couple corroded grounds around the car that I cleaned up or moved completely and that seemed to help for a bit but then it would inevitably return. You could take it to Autozone or Advance auto and have them do a load test on the battery but I suspect that is not the issue.

NJTom

Registered Member
Thread starter #15
Update: starts 90% of the time on the first time. Of the other 10%, there is no 'clicking' from under the hood; just a partially lit dash.

Is it still possible to be an issue with the starter if no clicking is heard?

memphiskane

Registered Member
Sorry I can't be much more help. With mine the solenoid would always energize hence the click. No click at all could mean so many different things. I can tell you these Hyundai starters are crap, they use a plastic fork internally to shift the internal gears together, this is a known problem point by just about every service tech I have talked to.

NJTom

Registered Member
Thread starter #17
So, the random starting issue still continues. For the most part it doesn't bother me having an intermittent starting issue. I've been to the dealer twice and of course the car starts with no issues for them. And of course no codes either.
However, I think I've narrowed it down. 99% of the time it starts the first time I try in the morning. However, if I stop after a few minutes of driving, the next time I try to start the car (about 5-10 minutes later) it will have an issue. I'm curious if there is a relay that isn't working properly. Can someone help me determine which Relay(s) may be used when trying to start the car? If I can replace one or a few of them, that may be a cheap and effective solution.
Any help would be appreciated.

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
NJ Tom. I am having the same problem on my new to me 2015 Hyundai Genesis sedan. It's been towed to the dealer several times and it always starts right up for them. They have replaced the key fobs and have replaced the fuse box/circuit breaker box next to your left knee to no avail. The tech at corporate now wants to re-wire the car. I'm not a fan of this. If you find anything out, I would greatly appreciate the cure.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.