iPod cable work with iPhones?

AMGenesisCoupe

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thread starter #1
Just bought a 3.8 GT Genesis Coupe which came with the iPod cable. Unfortunately I didn't realize until after driving the car off the lot that the cable doesn't seem to work with the iPhone. Does anyone know if Hyundai has another cable that is compatible with the iPhone that I can possibly trade this one in for, or am I stuck taking the loss on this (and trying to sell it on Craigslist)?

Thanks.

nearwater

Been here awhile...
There's a Hyundai specific cable for the sedans.
Not sure about the coupes, but I'd assume it's the same. I'm sure you can get one at the dealer.
Good luck.

Dan

AMGenesisCoupe

Thread starter #3
Right, the problem is, the Hyundai iPod cable seems to not be compatible with the iPhones. Essentially I'm wondering if there is more than one Hyundai iPod cable (a later generation one perhaps that works with iPhones), or if there is just that one?

Looking at the Hyundai online accessory store, it seems to be just that one unfortunately...

nearwater

Been here awhile...
Right, the problem is, the Hyundai iPod cable seems to not be compatible with the iPhones. Essentially I'm wondering if there is more than one Hyundai iPod cable (a later generation one perhaps that works with iPhones), or if there is just that one?

Looking at the Hyundai online accessory store, it seems to be just that one unfortunately...
Oh, my bad. I didn't read your post correctly and thought you were referring to the white iPod cable supplied with the iPod.

But, yeah.. I believe there's only 1 version of the Hyundai's iPod cable.
What generation/model is your iPod?
I have an iPhone 3G that works(although it says it's an incompatible accessory) fine.

Dan

dataguy

Been here awhile...
By "not compatible" do you mean that it won't work, or it gives a message on the iPhone screen saying that that the accessory wasn't designed for the iPhone? If it's the latter, just tell it not to go into airplane mode and it should work okay.

The iPod cable part seems to be the same one they use in all Hyundai vehicles that have iPod integration, i.e. several years old.

AMGenesisCoupe

Thread starter #6
That's interesting. I've got a 3gs. I also get the "not compatible message", although I see my playlist show up on the center console. However there is no audio whatsoever.

My airplane mode is already off (unless it's switching over for some reason when I plug in the cable..). Let me try playing around with it a bit more.

ImInPA

Been here awhile...
That's interesting. I've got a 3gs. I also get the "not compatible message", although I see my playlist show up on the center console. However there is no audio whatsoever.

My airplane mode is already off (unless it's switching over for some reason when I plug in the cable..). Let me try playing around with it a bit more.
The incompatibility message you see is fairly common with all usb based iPod integration systems. The iPhone is a combination of iPod, Phone, and Headset. The message you see is reporting an incompatible headset. Just ignore it. Some Blackberrys are also seen as being an incompatible keyboard.

AMGenesisCoupe

Thread starter #8
Yeah...Still can't get any audio. If I crank the volume up, I can hear some distortion and a lot of static - but no actual audio.

I can stream it wirelesley through the Bluetooth interface, but I'd like to be able to use the cable as it provides a far more convenient interface by actually showing the playlists (streaming through Bluetooth doesnt)

Yeah...Still can't get any audio. If I crank the volume up, I can hear some distortion and a lot of static - but no actual audio.

I can stream it wirelesley through the Bluetooth interface, but I'd like to be able to use the cable as it provides a far more convenient interface by actually showing the playlists (streaming through Bluetooth doesnt)
May be a dumb question, but have you tried removing the cable, plugging it FIRMLY in and then connect the iPhone? You may just not have a good connection.
If that's not it you may need a new head unit. It should work just fine.

AMGenesisCoupe

Thread starter #10
May be a dumb question, but have you tried removing the cable, plugging it FIRMLY in and then connect the iPhone? You may just not have a good connection.
If that's not it you may need a new head unit. It should work just fine.
Oh yeah, many times.

Have you gotten it to work with a 3gs? If I can get confirmation from someone that it has in fact worked with a 3gs, I'll try getting to the root of the problem. But I don't want to waste my time if it turns out the cable just simply is not compatible with the 3gs.

Oh yeah, many times.

Have you gotten it to work with a 3gs? If I can get confirmation from someone that it has in fact worked with a 3gs, I'll try getting to the root of the problem. But I don't want to waste my time if it turns out the cable just simply is not compatible with the 3gs.
Works with all.
Now that I think about it, I had the same situation exactly. Turned out to be the cable was defective. Dealer swapped it out, been fine ever since. Sorry I didn't remember that yesterday. I'm old.

AMGenesisCoupe

Thread starter #16
So I finally got it to work this morning. Turns out the cable is extremely sensitive and has to be in a very specific position in order to work. If it moves much, the signal is completely distorted, or the connection gets broken all-together.

May just be not a very good cable. If it gives too many problems, I'll try swapping it for another one.

Michig54

I am having some IPhone connection issues. I have the 3GS with latest S/W 4.0.1. I have the Hyundai iPod cable and navigation in my coupe. When I plug in the iPhone it tries to read for a good 30 seconds an the fails and says media connection error. I've tried every possible connection combination and still same error. Has anybody seen this? Could it be the cable, phone, or stereo? I asked the service manager at the dealer about the iPhone connection and he called a Hyundai engineer and he said that the iPhones aren't compatible and he's never seen one work, but clearly they do. What can I do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

AMGenesisCoupe

Thread starter #18
I am having some IPhone connection issues. I have the 3GS with latest S/W 4.0.1. I have the Hyundai iPod cable and navigation in my coupe. When I plug in the iPhone it tries to read for a good 30 seconds an the fails and says media connection error. I've tried every possible connection combination and still same error. Has anybody seen this? Could it be the cable, phone, or stereo? I asked the service manager at the dealer about the iPhone connection and he called a Hyundai engineer and he said that the iPhones aren't compatible and he's never seen one work, but clearly they do. What can I do to fix this? Thanks in advance.
I had the exact same problem. I was also told the exact same thing by the dealership.

It really does seem to be a very flaky cable. Like I mentioned earlier, I can get it to work, but it has to be in a specific position. And the connection has to be very tight (in my case, the cable would keep coming loose). I really prefer to just stream it wirelessely through the Bluetooth interface. Far more convenient and hassle-free.

Michig54

I'm not convinced that it's the cable. It's seeing the phone, but just not connecting to it. When I connect it the phone gives me the "this accessory wasn't optimized for iPhone" message, but doesn't ask me if I want to go into airplane mode. Which seems to be inconsistent with what everyone else is seeing. I also haven't seen anyone mention anything about the "Media Connection Error" that I am getting. For now I guess I just have to settle with the bluetooth option, but I don't really like it. The quality is bad, I can't see what song is playing, and I can only play/pause, no forward or back. I want to be able to scroll though my music and select a song. I guess Ill try to convince the dealer to let me try another cable to see if that is the problem.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.