Is anyone else NOT excited about the idea of 22 inch wheels?

jimmak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Just back from a 2300 mile road trip through Utah. The ride on my Prestige GV80 22 inch wheels was smooth as slik. I was very pleased with just about everthing about the car.

I often think 22 inch wheels look stupid on other vehicles, but the GV80 must be designed for them. I think they look much better than the smaller wheels.

Gurgeh

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Just back from a 2300 mile road trip through Utah. The ride on my Prestige GV80 22 inch wheels was smooth as slik. I was very pleased with just about everthing about the car.

I often think 22 inch wheels look stupid on other vehicles, but the GV80 must be designed for them. I think they look much better than the smaller wheels.
Did you encounter potholes, rough pavement, speed bumps? Those are the kind of things that can cause a bit of a jarring ride with low profile tires. If not, that means that Genesis did a masterful job in designing a suspension system to accommodate the 22" wheels.

drumdudeguy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Charlotte NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I went to the dealership tonight. I would not buy the Prestige package for that reason. I have no desire for the curb rash on the 22's and I don't think they would ride as good. Only a sports car would benefit from extremely large wheels. I am looking at the Advance package which has 20" wheels. Not sure between the 2.5t and the 3.5t. Gas mileage appears dismal on the 3.5t.

jimmak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Yes - we had every type of road I can think of, from 80MPH speed limit on I70 to gravel roads, country roads, snow, ice, and of course speed bumps and potholes. I was impressed and pleased with the ride. Speed bumps were particularly handled well.

dapribek

Registered Member
I went to the dealership tonight. I would not buy the Prestige package for that reason. I have no desire for the curb rash on the 22's and I don't think they would ride as good. Only a sports car would benefit from extremely large wheels. I am looking at the Advance package which has 20" wheels. Not sure between the 2.5t and the 3.5t. Gas mileage appears dismal on the 3.5t.
Hi, I bought the 3.5t Advance because I wanted the spare tire. I bought the twin turbo because I heard the 2.5 was a little too buzzy. Extremely happy with my decision. Haven’t checked mpg yet because I don’t really care. Hope this helps.

LostAgain

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
If smaller wheels were offered as an option on the Prestige I would have gone for them. My two priorities for this purchase were low interior noise levels and comfort. I drove a GV80 on 20s and 22s back to back and the 20s were better, less crashy. Having said that I bought the 22s because of interior color, so they weren't hugely worse. And I can change them later which I couldn't with the interior color. Both vehicles had an expensive silky feel to the suspension and do a good job of smothering the road. Occasionally they will hit something too rough to handle, which will be noisy and you will notice it, but the hardess will not get through. The suspension is mostly very impressive, with maybe 5% of hits upsetting it. The steering with the 20s also felt better, better feel and slightly heavier. That could have been down to the 20s being dealer prepped and the 22s were straight off the delivery truck that day.

AJB

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80

My feelings too. If I had the choice of purchasing the Prestige Package without the 22" wheels I would have still bought them. They make the GV80 stand out in a good way! Now all other smaller wheels look boring to me.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
My feelings too. If I had the choice of purchasing the Prestige Package without the 22" wheels I would have still bought them. They make the GV80 stand out in a good way! Now all other smaller wheels look boring to me.
Totally agree. It worries me not having a spare but I would still order 22s.

khaug1

Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I'd prefer the 20s. However, the 22s do look nice, and reviews in Car & Driver and Consumer Reports both mention that the ride is only slightly worse with the 22s.

-Karl

wheeling

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It is not only the ride quality. The 22" are a lot easier to get damaged. Plus there is no spare.

smiley47

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Cave Creek, Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I have been pleasantly surprised with the 22" wheel ride. I did however check the air pressure when I took delivery and found it to be a few pounds above the manufactures recommended pressure posted on the drivers door frame. After a slight adjustment I'm quite pleased with the ride. Also, fortunately for me our Arizona roads are not plagued with potholes so wheel damage is not an issue for me.

xavier

Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
It's been proven that very low profile tires are worse for handling than medium height side wall tires, because of flexing, or lack thereof, if tires can flex side to side they'll just slide and have crappy grip.
As an engineer who enjoys working on his own cars and then driving them hard, I respectfully disagree here.

One reason is my GV80 2.5T Prestige with 265/40 W-rated stock 22” Primacy Tour A/S tires corners beautifully at 95+ mph on dry, slightly banked highways with Sport mode enabled (my trim line comes with electronic suspension on all 4 wheels). Passing BMW X5 and X6 drivers this way is quite enjoyable. I wouldn’t corner like this if I were sporting 60-series tires, even while in a sedan, let alone while driving this 5000+ pound SUV with a far high center of mass (and especially if I didn’t already have the optional e-suspension damping on all 4 wheels).

Second reason is you won’t see stock Porsche Cayenne Turbos (with the optional ceramic brakes) sporting anything other than 30- to 40-series tires. If their engineers had determined its skidpad results would improve by increasing to 50- to 60-series tires, you can bet they would’ve done so (and saved their owners from the risk of bent wheels after hitting large potholes at 100+ mph).

With that said, I love data and always welcome the opportunity to learn more from others to improve and correct my understanding.

wheeling

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Speaking of large wheels, I just gave a friend of mine a ride home today. His Volvo XC 90 had broken tire again, which was a 21 inch. The tire mobility case came with the truck cannot handle the repair so the car has to be towed. He had another broken tire more than a year ago. I guess that is the tendency of the large tires.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums