Is it possible to get not smart "normal" cruise control?

dadgonebroke

Hasn't posted much yet...
I've watched YouTube videos 'til I'm blue in the face but I can't find out how to not have smart cruise- just normal car cruise control that doesn't distance me from cars in front of me. Is there such a thing on our GV80's?

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
On my 2018 G80, you hold the range button down while the cruise is activated but not engaged, and it toggles between smart cruise and normal cruise. That said, looking at the owner's manuals it looks like starting in 2021 or 2022, that option is no longer there.

2021GCSGV80

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I've watched YouTube videos 'til I'm blue in the face but I can't find out how to not have smart cruise- just normal car cruise control that doesn't distance me from cars in front of me. Is there such a thing on our GV80's?
You can turn off lane keeping assist here is a video

Vince_K

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Purely out of curiosity, why do you want to turn that feature off? I have not seen a setting that does that, but I certainly could have missed it.

Back in the days of old 'dumb' cruise control, the only time I'd ever use that would be for stretches of open road with no cars at all in front. 'smart' cruise control would behave the same in that situation. Smart cruise will definitely save you from rear ending someone / something.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
One annoyance with smart cruise is that it will apply the brakes when going downhill. Often, I would be okay with the speed going up by a few miles per hours while going downhill. Still, I do pretty much always leave mine in smart mode, now that I am used to it.

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
You can turn off lane keeping assist here is a video

IIRC, if you hold the cruise button in for several seconds it will enable standard cruise, though I’ve never done it. Repeating the procedure returns the system to adaptive cruise.

2021GCSGV80

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
IIRC, if you hold the cruise button in for several seconds it will enable standard cruise, though I’ve never done it. Repeating the procedure returns the system to adaptive cruise.
Actually if you hold the mode button (there is no cruise button) for several seconds it turns on Speed Limiting not standard cruise in the GV80.

Got Pipe

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern Utah
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Purely out of curiosity, why do you want to turn that feature off? I have not seen a setting that does that, but I certainly could have missed it.

Back in the days of old 'dumb' cruise control, the only time I'd ever use that would be for stretches of open road with no cars at all in front. 'smart' cruise control would behave the same in that situation. Smart cruise will definitely save you from rear ending someone / something.
Some people like open stretches of road that they may need to change a lane when coming up on a tractor trailer but want to let someone going faster pass before they change lanes.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Some people like open stretches of road that they may need to change a lane when coming up on a tractor trailer but want to let someone going faster pass before they change lanes.
I just hit cancel and then resume.

Got Pipe

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern Utah
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
After reading what I wrote, I sound like an A hole. Not intended. I just meant sometimes I'll keep the 80mph going closer to a semi if the car passing is going quicker than I am! Sorry again

2021GCSGV80

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
If you have on lane keeping assist it will slow you down behind the car in front and you decide when you pass them without having to brake or turn off cruise.

yoshi838

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I can give everyone a great example. I am in Canada. There are ice and snow and slush which will block the front radar. For a 2.5 hours trip, the radar is blocked and the car simply give up ALL smart cruise control function, front collision warning, lane keep assist, distance control. I, like OP, wish there is a way to use SIMPLE cruise control while I keep my eyes on lane change and distance. I have not been able to figure it out (yet)..... I hope it can be done.....

2021GCSGV80

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I can give everyone a great example. I am in Canada. There are ice and snow and slush which will block the front radar. For a 2.5 hours trip, the radar is blocked and the car simply give up ALL smart cruise control function, front collision warning, lane keep assist, distance control. I, like OP, wish there is a way to use SIMPLE cruise control while I keep my eyes on lane change and distance. I have not been able to figure it out (yet)..... I hope it can be done.....
I believe the manual says to not use cruise in these conditions. Page 7-82 notes the limitations of the system.

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)

redneck

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
we just ran in to this problem on our trip to georgia & it was snowing cruise ,lane change & front collision didnt work till i cleared the snow off the sensor at the gas station

faz3

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
to be honest, I tried all the possibilities to make it normal as you said instead of SMART but there is no way to do it

mlb007

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I thought I'd love the smart cruise. Pretty much hate it.
You get a safe following distance behind the car going the proper speed for you.
So of course other cars are going to cut over in front of you because that gap is just too safe. so...
As soon as they do my car slows down. Often that happens 2 or 3 cars in a row and I might drop from 70mph to 60mph to keep the gap safe. Very frustrating. And no I dont' want to close the range to the lowest setting.

Londoner01

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
You get a safe following distance behind the car going the proper speed for you.
So of course other cars are going to cut over in front of you because that gap is just too safe. so...
As soon as they do my car slows down. Often that happens 2 or 3 cars in a row and I might drop from 70mph to 60mph to keep the gap safe. Very frustrating. And no I dont' want to close the range to the lowest setting.
If a car passes you and pulls in "in front of you", your vehicle will not slow down if that vehicle is going faster than you. It only reacts if that vehicle is now going slower than you. It takes awhile for you to trust the system, but I find the GV80 is one of the better systems.
I had a 2019 Honda Pilot and I did not trust it, sometimes it would slam on the brakes for no apparent reason.. The GV80 system is very smooth and reliable.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I use the second closest and have thousands of interstate miles that way. At least give it a try.

mlb007

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
If a car passes you and pulls in "in front of you", your vehicle will not slow down if that vehicle is going faster than you. It only reacts if that vehicle is now going slower than you. It takes awhile for you to trust the system, but I find the GV80 is one of the better systems.
I had a 2019 Honda Pilot and I did not trust it, sometimes it would slam on the brakes for no apparent reason.. The GV80 system is very smooth and reliable.
It's obviously distance related as well as my car slows noticeably when they pull over despite having just passed me. At whatever setting you have it, that "new" car has now become the car involved in your sensors pov, and if the gap between you is too short then my car slows and even brakes. And then lots of people race to get ahead of you and then DO slow down after pulling over. After a few of those and dropping mph's I get annoyed and floor it and race to 80 to make up the ground I just lost. Annoying, but I'll play with it.

Last edited: