Is my 2018 G80 haunted?

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #1
My wife calls it the haunted car because of strange unexplainable happenings. Below are a few examples.

1. We went out to the car, upon opening the passenger door, we noticed the passenger seat back, was totally flat. As in a laying flat position. Absolutely no idea how it got that way. I checked the seat controls in "Settings" everything appeared in order. I corrected it by using the seat controls. That was 8 or so days ago. Today I go out to get in the car and notice the passenger seat is as far forward as possible and back of the seat is also tilted toward the dash board, as far as the controls allow. Now what in the H caused that? The wife says "haunted" We are retired, live alone, no one around to be playing games.

2. Other places in the forum reports of radios going out or changing inputs FM to XM etc, by themselves also strange. Although it hasn't happened to me yet.

3. We went out to eat arriving at the restaurant, I pushed the door button to lock the doors. Got that long whistle indicating an error, usually door ajar, ignition on, car still running etc. Checked all doors trunk and everything possible and it still would not lock. Of course it was -10 degrees while messing around with it. I finally tried locking it with the FOB and it worked. Theoretically, if there were a real problem, it should not have locked with the FOB either. I waited, a bit, then unlocked it with the FOB and tried re-locking with the door button. It worked fine. Again unexplained.

4. I had been on my laptop in the house looking at an add for "Sno-Jet"" a product to keep snow and ice from sticking to things. I had to run an errand so started the G80. The Media center was set to USB so it went to that and started playing the music. The information screen usually shows you what song is playing now and whats up next. The screen was displaying a banner saying Sno-Jet $6.95 at Home Depot How did that get on my car screen? I have Android Auto on my phone but it is shut off and has not been set up on the G80.

5. I unlocked the car using the door button as I got in I heard my phone beep. Upon checking it, I found a message from Genesis saying a panic alarm had been received from the car. I didn't do anything. The FOB was in a loose jacket pocket, I don't think it was depressed at all. Again no explanation.

6. As already posted I had incident where the Smart Vent opened up at 10 below zero causing a flood of cold air to enter the cabin. Although this may have been legitimate, related to CO2, you would think a limiter would keep it from opening in below zero temperatures.

A few of the strange things for a car with 900 miles on it. I really do like the car, looks, ride, general comfort etc. but the little things are adding up.

Nothing even close to this occurred with my Acura, Lexus, Cadillac or Lincoln when new.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Well it might be possessed. Have the lights started flashing mysteriously yet? Of course if you have failed to make your car payments it could possibly be repossessed (sorry I couldn’t resist).

Here are my best guesses on each of your points
#1 short or grounding problem - take it to dealer to have electrical wiring checked.
#2 not sure why you threw that in since your not having this problem (yet)
#3 this is exactly what would happen if you left a fob in the car (maybe in your wife’s purse) and tried to lock by the door button. Your fob will indeed lock the car even with the other fob inside. Afterward when the door lock worked I am guessing the second fob was removed. Could also be same as #1
#4 no clue
#5 probably inadvertently pushed the panic button on the fob (even though you didn’t think so) but could also be same as #1
#6 you already explained that yourself. Don’t think a limiter is such a great idea unless your would rather be drowsy behind the wheel than cold.

Good luck with your exorcism.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #3
Well it might be possessed. Have the lights started flashing mysteriously yet? Of course if you have failed to make your car payments it could possibly be repossessed (sorry I couldn’t resist).

Here are my best guesses on each of your points
#1 short or grounding problem - take it to dealer to have electrical wiring checked.
#2 not sure why you threw that in since your not having this problem (yet)
#3 this is exactly what would happen if you left a fob in the car (maybe in your wife’s purse) and tried to lock by the door button. Your fob will indeed lock the car even with the other fob inside. Afterward when the door lock worked I am guessing the second fob was removed. Could also be same as #1
#4 no clue
#5 probably inadvertently pushed the panic button on the fob (even though you didn’t think so) but could also be same as #1
#6 you already explained that yourself. Don’t think a limiter is such a great idea unless your would rather be drowsy behind the wheel than cold.

Good luck with your exorcism.

Repossessed very funny :)

#2 I figured I was next on fates list for the radio thing. :)

#3 You are 100% correct here, she did leave her purse in the car that day. I tried it on her Honda in the garage and the door still locked by the handle with the FOB inside, also never noticed it happen with the Acura, appartently so with the G80, no problem though as long as I know.

#5 The horn and lights didn't go off on the car, which made me think it didn't originate from my FOB but who knows. As long as it isn't a regular thing, shouldn't be a problem.

#6 CO2 is the by product of all human breathing. I don't see it as a public emergency if it is a bit high, so I shut smart vent off in the winter. At age 70, cold is more likely to kill me than CO2. :)

Thanks for your help, If the passenger seat continues to act goofy I will see the dealer.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Haunted. There is a service bulletin that says to park in in a cemetery overnight when there is a full moon. Leave at least one window open. Retrieve anytime after sunrise.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #5
"""""Haunted. There is a service bulletin that says to park in in a cemetery overnight when there is a full moon. Leave at least one window open. Retrieve anytime after sunrise. """"

Sounds like a plan. :)

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
My first 09 Genesis had an issue with the driver's seat. I went to adjust it forward after picking it up from service at the dealership, while driving but it kept moving forward after taking my hand off the control. Reversing the control would not work, so as I was driving the seat continued to press me against the steering wheel. It was a bit unnerving to say the least not knowing if I was about to be crushed to death. As I pulled over into a parking lot the seat stopped and I was quite jammed against the wheel. Still being able to drive and only a couple of blocks from the dealer, I went back and wiggled out of the car to have them take a look. The seat control button assembly apparently was defective and had to be replaced. Not a big repair, but a little scary!

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #7
My first 09 Genesis had an issue with the driver's seat. I went to adjust it forward after picking it up from service at the dealership, while driving but it kept moving forward after taking my hand off the control. Reversing the control would not work, so as I was driving the seat continued to press me against the steering wheel. It was a bit unnerving to say the least not knowing if I was about to be crushed to death. As I pulled over into a parking lot the seat stopped and I was quite jammed against the wheel. Still being able to drive and only a couple of blocks from the dealer, I went back and wiggled out of the car to have them take a look. The seat control button assembly apparently was defective and had to be replaced. Not a big repair, but a little scary!
Yes, could be scary indeed. That is part of my concern, so far the passenger seat has moved around only when in the garage at night. It is one of the few things that get power 24-7. My wife is disabled and I worry that the seat may suddenly collapse backwards to a flat position, while we are traveling down the road. Which would create havoc with her back and hip problems.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.