• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Is there a spare tire?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Could you clarify that please? In another thread a guy had a cut sidewall in a tire and was in an area with no cell phone connection. How would it be better for him? Or anyone else?

It is not just Hyundai/Genesis, but every manufacturer with a line of smaller cars is going to the inflator kit. As consumers, we should demand it be replaced with a drive-able spare. It is not often needed but when a tire cannot be inflated, it sure is nice to have a spare, not a tiny pump trying to fill a 3" gash.

The dealers and salespeople should be working to get real spare tires too, so they have long term happy customers.
The 2.0T Sport version is the enthusiast version so less weight means a faster car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Stephen5242

Hasn't posted much yet...
Canada
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I carry an inflator kit in my 335i as BMW does not provide a spare. I have had two flats where the sidewall was damaged so the kit was of no help.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So, better until you have a serious tire problem. I'd think most owners will take the performance trade off on a cold rainy night with a sidewall gash. How much difference do you think there is in a 0 to 60 time?
Probably not a big difference. I would personally take the spare. It is what it is, however, considering many manufacturers also only include tire inflators. A spare doesn't cost much considering the 2.0T Sport is only $45,500 CAD (Genesis vehicles in Canada are fixed price). :geek:

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Don't some BMW cars come from the factory with run flat tires and no spares?

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have owned 3 BMW's since 2006 and all had run flats and no spares. I think all are like that for some time now.

That said, with all 3 of mine, I replaced the run flats with better riding/handling non run flats and just took my chances. Never once had a flat that wasn't just a slow leak so never ended up being an issue. But I also never used those vehicles to go more than just out of town otherwise I wouldn't have done that.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
interesting. i don't have a problem with Genesis taking this weight-saving approach as their baseline for owners who want the highest performing package out of the box. but i will prefer to have the added assurance of a real spare for day to day driving when an extra 50lbs won't kill me. if i track it or want to take my chances i'll just remove the spare for the trip. i've done the same for track days with my older G35 when i also removed everything else that was loose like floor mats...

can someone clarify if the 2.0T Sport can be ordered with a mini-spare for a nominal up-charge? i know others like Infiniti have this as an added option. they charge ~$200 for a 'spare tire/wheel kit'. the 2.0T sport must have the same trunk pan layout as other trims so the issue can't be fitment of the spare tire.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think the combination of an inflator and roadside assistance has largely replaced the spare tire, and that's unfortunate. I think space is at least as big an issue as weight. Having decent trunk space is more difficult with a spare, even a smaller, limited-distance version. But I think it's great that most Genesis models do include some sort of a spare. In addition to sidewall gashes, rim damage from a decent-sized pothole can also make tire sealant and an inflator essentially useless. And if you have a usable spare, even if you don't want to change the tire yourself, you have more options. Pretty much any service station within reasonable driving distance can send someone out to change a tire. But if you don't have a spare, they're not going to re-mount a new tire onto your rim in the field, so a tow-in is pretty much the only option.

Run-flats are the other option, of course. Some may be decent but others (like the infamous "Dumblops" that Infiniti uses) are terrible and are actually more susceptible to side-wall damage, which will make them inoperable. And they can't be repaired if punctured, so after running flat, it's new-tire time. At least, that's what the manufacturer claims.

Back in the days when red-blooded Americans all drove 5000-lb. land yachts, having 5 full-size rims and tires was the norm. And back when cars had hubcaps, the rim used for the spare was identical to the four others. So, you just had 5 identical wheels and tires, but one was kept in the trunk. Get a flat? Just rotate the trunk tire onto the needed wheel and throw the one flat into the trunk. Later, get it repaired and it just became the spare. In fact, when you got your tires rotated, the spare was part of the rotation so that all five would wear more or less equally. Of course, back then, tires and roads seemed to conspire to produce flats at a higher rate than is the case today. Now, we don't really need, nor would we tolerate the inconvenience (those spares could be really heavy and bulky, and hard to get out of the trunk), of the 5-full-size-tires option.

So, that down-sized, limited-use spare is, I think, still the best option. Yes, it adds a little weight and takes up a bit of space. But not much. And it can always be removed if weight and space are critically important. And that's generally going to be more practical than carrying a full-sized spare around in a trunk that doesn't have a well intended to hold it. So, for me, the limited-use spare is the winner. Can I imagine situations where either it wouldn't be sufficient or wouldn't be necessary? Of course. But I can imagine (and have encountered) a lot more where it's just the right solution.

Stephen5242

Hasn't posted much yet...
Canada
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yes they all do, in Canada anyway, but you can't drive on a runflat if the sidewall is damaged. The two flats I had in my 335i were both sidewall damage.

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
interesting. i don't have a problem with Genesis taking this weight-saving approach as their baseline for owners who want the highest performing package out of the box. but i will prefer to have the added assurance of a real spare for day to day driving when an extra 50lbs won't kill me. if i track it or want to take my chances i'll just remove the spare for the trip. i've done the same for track days with my older G35 when i also removed everything else that was loose like floor mats...

can someone clarify if the 2.0T Sport can be ordered with a mini-spare for a nominal up-charge? i know others like Infiniti have this as an added option. they charge ~$200 for a 'spare tire/wheel kit'. the 2.0T sport must have the same trunk pan layout as other trims so the issue can't be fitment of the spare tire.
I too have asked this question and I'm waiting for the GXM to get back to me. I'm not holding my breathe though, as he didn't seem very confident as to the availability of a mini-spare. I would certainly accept the nominal weight penalty for the reassurance of having something there to get me home.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ any word back? obviously there is a Genesis part number for the spare tire and wheel, so i cannot understand why this couldn't be ordered a la carte. otherwise how would any owner replace their spare if it was damaged? i'm not looking for anything unique - just the spare that comes on other Sport models.

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just heard back from my GXM and he was told by their service technician that it's not possible to install a spare tire in the 6MT because there isn't a proper mount in the trunk well. I can't speak to how credible this answer is as I've never looked at the trunk well of the 6MT. I know that the battery is there but surely there must be some room for a spare. How is it configured in the Sport 3.3? What are your thoughts on jury-rigging a mounting arrangement back there by modifying the foam tray? To your point, one must be able to buy the spare tire assembly as a stand-alone accessory even if there isn't a provision for it on the 6MT.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ skeptical. the trunk pan of my 6MT looks the same as the 3.3T Sport. granted, i didn't have them side-by-side. we'd have to ditch the cargo organizer tray that covers the battery but i assume there is some other false-floor that would cover the tire. nothing particularly unique. as for a tie-down for the spare tire, yes something would be needed but as long as the bolt hole is present it's just a matter of finding the fastener to fit.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums