Is there suppose to be an SD card with the Genesis G80

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
If so what is it for? Seams like I had one but can't find it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
There is an SD card for the navigation. If the nav is working, it is in there. It hides behind a piece on the front of the radio.
Thank You!
The Navigation is working! Set up by the dealer. So I did find a blank case and was wondering if I had lost something.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I hypothesize the SD card is installed by the dealer versus at the factory. This would explain the empty SD card case you found.

This SD card is used for several things.
  • Contains navigation maps (possibly uploaded onto the cars/head unit hard drive).
  • Used to upgrade the firmware on the head unit.
Upgrading the maps or firmware is done by obtaining a new SD card and replacing it with the one currently in the vehicle.

A picture of where the SD card is located for the 2018 G80 Sport with the 9.2" screen system was posted by Mr. Incredible here.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I hypothesize the SD card is installed by the dealer versus at the factory. This would explain the empty SD card case you found.

This SD card is used for several things.
  • Contains navigation maps (possibly uploaded onto the cars/head unit hard drive).
  • Used to upgrade the firmware on the head unit.
Upgrading the maps or firmware is done by obtaining a new SD card and replacing it with the one currently in the vehicle.

A picture of where the SD card is located for the 2018 G80 Sport with the 9.2" screen system was posted by Mr. Incredible here.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Much thanks to all who have replied. This is an awesome site!
mgg

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The card needs to stay in the slot otherwise NAV won't work. The maps are stored on it. Firmware updates are done through the USB port.
On my 2018 G80 Sport I did a firmware update Dec 2018 from/using the SD card. This vehicle has the 9.2" screen system. Subsequent to the upgrade, I did leave the new SD card plugged into the vehicles SD slot.

I cannot speak to how/if the firmware update is done differently (i.e. USB port) for the 8" screen system or other model years.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
@bubbaG80Sport; Are you saying that since the update you do not leave the SD card plugged in? I also have an 18 G80 Sport I think they are all the same. I am going to check my slot to see if the card is in there.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
@bubbaG80Sport; Are you saying that since the update you do not leave the SD card plugged in? I also have an 18 G80 Sport I think they are all the same. I am going to check my slot to see if the card is in there.
No/incorrect. Per above I DID leave the new SD card plugged into the vehicles SD slot.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.