Is USB Connection (for Carplay/AA) switched power or on all the time?

McClendons

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I've done a fair bit of searching since I am a new user, and have not been able to find a definitive answer.......does anyone know if the USB outlet used for Android Auto and carplay is switched power, or is it on at all times?

I know the power remains on for at least some period of time after the GV80 is turned off, but have read conflicting posts that it then times out and turns off, while others have said it stays on. I am hoping to use an Android Auto AAWireless device, but am concerned that if it stays on for long periods of time it will drain the battery if the car is parked for several weeks. I know the AAWireless is a small draw, but we travel allot on cruises etc, and do not want to get surprised.

I tried to test it by leaving the device plugged in, leaving the car for a while, and then coming back. As soon as the vehicle senses the key, it seems to power on some things so I may not be getting a real answer that it is on all the time.

Thanks

koala

Registered Member
Calgary, AB
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Assuming it's like any other Hyundai or Kia, I'd say it'll only work for 30 or 60 minutes after the ignition is turned off. I remember seeing a setting for this in the vehicle menus on our loaner demo GV80. I'll be picking up my 2022 later this week and can confirm.

The easiest way to test this is to just leave your phone plugged in charging after switching off the ignition. Go back and check every 30 mins to see if it's still charging.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The easiest way to test this is to just leave your phone plugged in charging after switching off the ignition. Go back and check every 30 mins to see if it's still charging.
Go back without your smart key, and don't open any doors.

McClendons

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Appreciate the answers, but if I do not open the doors, I cant see inside well enough to know if it is still powered on......Guess I can buy a long USB and place the phone or USB device on the dash, but was hoping someone had already been through it.

For the 1st repsosne, if you find in menus a place to switch USB off when car is off, please let me know. I looked through menus, but allot of variations. I sis not see anything

koala

Registered Member
Calgary, AB
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Just leave the door open so that you don't have to touch it during testing.

My money is on the USB port not staying powered. The dashcam in our Sedona stops working the moment the ignition is off.

I can test this myself once I have my GV80, but I'm likely driving it straight from the dealer to the detailer so that my trusted detailer can remove all the shipping materials and then do a paint correction / PPF and ceramic.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

koala

Registered Member
Calgary, AB
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I'll try to test this today or tomorrow. Just took delivery of our 2022 and I've got a lot of interior detailing to do before it goes to the shop for paint correction, PPF and ceramic.

McClendons

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I'll try to test this today or tomorrow. Just took delivery of our 2022 and I've got a lot of interior detailing to do before it goes to the shop for paint correction, PPF and ceramic.
Thanks, I did get a long cable and tested it yesterday. It shuts off sometime before 30 mins. . .stayed on over a min, then checked at 30 and was off. Thanks

Last edited:
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners