It’s the little things

GV70GUY

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
We all know no car is perfect and maybe someday when you can custom build your car straight from the factory and delivered to your house they might have a large laundry list of individual option to choose. Today manufactures will have deal with tradeoffs and market demand. As well as keeping cost competitive.

I will say this yes there are a few items I would like to see but overall I have to say this is one of the best cars I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of cars. Comfort, handling, brakes, ride all fits wonderfully. I really think Genesis hit a home run with this SUV.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not all places observe DST, and that list changes all the time.
It is such a PITA; as a developer I have hated every time I have had to delve into that world, particularly in C++, which has a most unfriendly timezone standard library implementation (If you're a C++ developer and need std::chrono, I highly recommend Howard Hinnant's wrappers).

For more background on it, check out this article

Now having said that, it is a bit of a shame that Genesis can't get this right. This is a bit of an oversimplification, but it really should be a couple of api calls:

1. Get the vehicle's current GPS location
2. Determine which timezone rules applicable to the vehicle's current location
3. Calculate the correct time based on that timezone

There's even a "lazy-person's" workaround- if the time is out of sync with the phone's reported time (which would only work with a bluetooth or AA/CP connection obviously), ask the driver if they want to sync to the phone's time, and give them the option to always do that if they want. Problem solved.

John M

It's just a Hyundai...
Milledgeville, GA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Much of that is already done - the displayed time will change when you cross a time zone boundary. Querying specifics for your exact location would just be one more step but AFAIK no manufacturer goes that far. And what happens when the car's communications is "ended" by sunsetting technology? (like the original BlueLink cars) GPS will know where you are but there will be no path for the data to come from. We'd go right back to the "DST on/off" switch.

I'm a network / hardware guy by trade but I do enjoy C# for personal projects.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Much of that is already done - the displayed time will change when you cross a time zone boundary. Querying specifics for your exact location would just be one more step but AFAIK no manufacturer goes that far. And what happens when the car's communications is "ended" by sunsetting technology? (like the original BlueLink cars) GPS will know where you are but there will be no path for the data to come from. We'd go right back to the "DST on/off" switch.

The government has also changed the start/stop times for DST. What happens if they change it again? Or even eliminated as some states want to do?

Meantime, I have a lot of daylight saved and will use some of it over the Christmas holiday to keep it light longer.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The government has also changed the start/stop times for DST. What happens if they change it again? Or even eliminated as some states want to do?
Presumably, the time zone guy would update the DST rules and if you are paying for data service, the car would update for this. Alternately, the change could be in the next maps/navigation/entertainment update.

I'm okay with the way it works now, but I can admit that it would be better if there were three choices instead of two: DST off, DST auto, DST on. Then at worst, it would be no worse than today, and at best it would be effortless, like several other cars.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Presumably, the time zone guy would update the DST rules and if you are paying for data service, the car would update for this. Alternately, the change could be in the next maps/navigation/entertainment update.

I'm okay with the way it works now, but I can admit that it would be better if there were three choices instead of two: DST off, DST auto, DST on. Then at worst, it would be no worse than today, and at best it would be effortless, like several other cars.
The update sounds good for all of us here. What about 10 or more years later on the down and dirty used car market? Will updates even be supported? I guess no worse than the cheap cars I bought s a teenager. The clock, if it had one, probably did not work

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The update sounds good for all of us here. What about 10 or more years later on the down and dirty used car market? Will updates even be supported? I guess no worse than the cheap cars I bought s a teenager. The clock, if it had one, probably did not work
That's the reason for the three selections. If no longer supported, then we could go back to turning DST on and off at the correct times of the year, instead of using the auto selection, but auto would be nice while it lasted.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I think in 5 years the idea of a car not being perennially connected until it gets scrapped after a long vehicle life will be as unusual a concept as TVs that were made of wood, doubled as appliances and were as big as lounge chairs, is to us now:

evolution-of-television-sets_vintage.jpg

As for older cars, it's only a matter of time someone steps up and offers cheaper connection options than the factory options if the factory options prove too costly. It's not like it costs a lot of money to stand-up a server these days, and most of these cars are running some version of Android and/or Linux underneath the covers.

amazonman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
So your reasoning is that genesis omitted the feature to placate someone buying a 10 year old car, current owners be damned? Got it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So your reasoning is that genesis omitted the feature to placate someone buying a 10 year old car, current owners be damned? Got it.
Not as far fetched as you want to make it. That 22 year old buying an old car may eventually buy a band new one. Reputation matters. It is really sensibility with what works.

amazonman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Not as far fetched as you want to make it. That 22 year old buying an old car may eventually buy a band new one. Reputation matters. It is really sensibility with what works.
lol. Insanity. So upset a known new customer who shelled out 65k for a potential customer in used customer in 10 years because that customer "may" buy a new genesis in 15 years? Yeah, reputation matters - now not in 10 years. Both dont have the correct time on the clock. Your have genesis goggles on. Surprised you didnt mention the lack of rear door sensors is a safety feature a theory you have supported in the past.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
lol. Insanity. So upset a known new customer who shelled out 65k for a potential customer in used customer in 10 years because that customer "may" buy a new genesis in 15 years? Yeah, reputation matters - now not in 10 years. Both dont have the correct time on the clock. Your have genesis goggles on. Surprised you didnt mention the lack of rear door sensors is a safety feature a theory you have supported in the past.
I find the lack of rear locks a very minor inconvenience. Rarely lock my car unless I plan to remote start it so not a big deal for me. Genesis is a discount luxury car so you may not have a few little things to keep cost down.

amazonman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I find the lack of rear locks a very minor inconvenience. Rarely lock my car unless I plan to remote start it so not a big deal for me. Genesis is a discount luxury car so you may not have a few little things to keep cost down.
The issue is not whether its an inconvenience or not. Its your absurd explanations as to why they omit certain features.
As a side note. Most folks lock their cars. Many folks particularly those with kids access the rear seats first.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The issue is not whether its an inconvenience or not. Its your absurd explanations as to why they omit certain features.
As a side note. Most folks lock their cars. Many folks particularly those with kids access the rear seats first.
Yeah, it is difficult to touch that front door button first. How much are you willing to pay for the convenience? Me? Not at all.

amazonman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Yeah, it is difficult to touch that front door button first. How much are you willing to pay for the convenience? Me? Not at all.
You go round and round. You discussed this already. Perhaps its your old age. You also would not pay for a loaded 3.5 or some other option the old Ed does not need. Does that mean it should not be offered? When you are holding a kid in your hand, its a convenience. Folks in Florida dont need heated seats. I dont need memory seats. I still think memory seats should be offered and they are. Not everything revolves around Ed.
Bottom line is this, folks are simply pointing out features they think should have been included. You twist what little is left of your brain to come up with absurd reasons to explain their omission.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You go round and round. You discussed this already. Perhaps its your old age. You also would not pay for a loaded 3.5 or some other option the old Ed does not need. Does that mean it should not be offered? When you are holding a kid in your hand, its a convenience. Folks in Florida dont need heated seats. I dont need memory seats. I still think memory seats should be offered and they are. Not everything revolves around Ed.
Bottom line is this, folks are simply pointing out features they think should have been included. You twist what little is left of your brain to come up with absurd reasons to explain their omission.
Ah yes, toss in some personal insults to justify yourself. Thanks for showing how classy you are.

A few weeks ago I was up north and used my heated seats and heated steering wheel.

amazonman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Ah yes, toss in some personal insults to justify yourself. Thanks for showing how classy you are.

A few weeks ago I was up north and used my heated seats and heated steering wheel.
Again you missed the point. I dont care if you personally used the heated seats. Some folks never need to use them, yet they are included standard. Rear heated seats are an option - most will never use them. Yet they are there. XM radio is an option. I will never use it, yet its there. Digital key is an option - I dont need or want it. Yet its there. Sunroof is an option, I dont need one, yet its there. Folding mirrors are an option, I dont need one, yet its there. Same with memory seats, ventilated seats, 21" tires, 360 camera, etc etc. Let me know if you need me to continue. The fact that you cannot comprehend that evidences some sort of cognitive decline. Get yourself tested.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Again you missed the point. I dont care if you personally used the heated seats. Some folks never need to use them, yet they are included standard. Rear heated seats are an option - most will never use them. Yet they are there. XM radio is an option. I will never use it, yet its there. Digital key is an option - I dont need or want it. Yet its there. Sunroof is an option, I dont need one, yet its there. Folding mirrors are an option, I dont need one, yet its there. Same with memory seats, ventilated seats, 21" tires, 360 camera, etc etc. Let me know if you need me to continue. The fact that you cannot comprehend that evidences some sort of cognitive decline. Get yourself tested.
Oh, do print this out. If your mother has a scrapbook with your baby pictures and such, she can put this under witty comebacks. Make her proud! She can show the neighbors how you do personal attacks on people.

amazonman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Oh, do print this out. If your mother has a scrapbook with your baby pictures and such, she can put this under witty comebacks. Make her proud! She can show the neighbors how you do personal attacks on people.
Likewise, print out this thread and show it to your doctor.

John M

It's just a Hyundai...
Milledgeville, GA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I drive an old, "outdated" Equus. The newest maps I can buy for it are 5+ years old and forget about anything else infotainment-wise.

Luckily I don't drive it for what's in the dash. At 31k miles it's very likely to still be mine 10 years down the road at which point it will be 18 years old. I don't even have a DST on/off switch because the only clock in the car is the analog one in the dash!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners