• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

JB4 and stock...questions

CannonBall

Registered Member
DC area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm about to pull the trigger on the JB4 tuner. Are the denso plugs required? What happens if I run with the factory plugs? Has anyone here run into issues running the factory plugs? Are the plugs difficult to get to on the 3.3T G70? I saw a video on YouTube showing the Stinger plug replacement and they seemed to take a lot of stuff apart to get to the plugs.

TIA

Vortex951

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm about to pull the trigger on the JB4 tuner. Are the denso plugs required? What happens if I run with the factory plugs? Has anyone here run into issues running the factory plugs? Are the plugs difficult to get to on the 3.3T G70? I saw a video on YouTube showing the Stinger plug replacement and they seemed to take a lot of stuff apart to get to the plugs.

TIA
You can run map1 no problem. I’d say just buy the plugs from burger when you get the tune and run map2. It makes the car feel like it’s not sleeping anymore. My personal opinion and I’m sure many others would agree that the tune would be pointless if you don’t do plugs

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm running factory plugs with my JB4. Bought new ones, gapped to 0.026" (also trimmed the ground straps a little more just for fun). Currently running a custom Map 6 with my own boost and AFR values (similar to map 2, but more linear, and leaner AFR's). Intake, midpipes, exhaust. 92 octane. Runs perfectly, feels strong.

BlackedOutG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm running factory plugs with my JB4. Bought new ones, gapped to 0.026" (also trimmed the ground straps a little more just for fun). Currently running a custom Map 6 with my own boost and AFR values (similar to map 2, but more linear, and leaner AFR's). Intake, midpipes, exhaust. 92 octane. Runs perfectly, feels strong.
What is the difference in having midpipes? Are they not included when having a catback exhaust? Is the exhaust in three sections? Like catback, midpipes, downpipes? Or are midpipes included in catback (everything from the catalytic converter back)? Basically where are the midpipes located lol, because I have a catback and am looking to get downpipes but should I get midpipes too or do I technically already have midpipes because I have a catback

Vortex951

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What is the difference in having midpipes? Are they not included when having a catback exhaust? Is the exhaust in three sections? Like catback, midpipes, downpipes? Or are midpipes included in catback (everything from the catalytic converter back)? Basically where are the midpipes located lol, because I have a catback and am looking to get downpipes but should I get midpipes too or do I technically already have midpipes because I have a catback
So the catback replaces the factory resonators and mufflers. Leaves both primary cats and both secondary cats. The midpipes will replace the secondary cats. Technically the exhaust is divided up into 4 areas. Primary downpipes/cats. Secondary cats/ midpipes. The resonator. And the mufflers.

BlackedOutG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So the catback replaces the factory resonators and mufflers. Leaves both primary cats and both secondary cats. The midpipes will replace the secondary cats. Technically the exhaust is divided up into 4 areas. Primary downpipes/cats. Secondary cats/ midpipes. The resonator. And the mufflers.
Thanks for the knowledge, so to have a full exhaust I still need downpipes AND midpipes. After that I may be done modifying and wait for a reliable well reviewed ecu tune, then my exterior is going to have one hell of a transformation, I have a lot in store.

Rlk20025

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the knowledge, so to have a full exhaust I still need downpipes AND midpipes. After that I may be done modifying and wait for a reliable well reviewed ecu tune, then my exterior is going to have one hell of a transformation, I have a lot in store.
I’ve read that the mid-pipes don’t add much if any power, but will make your exhaust louder. The primary downpipes are the restriction and do yield HP, but they are a bear to get off the turbo manifold and those who have made the switch have reported issues with oil burning. Something to be thoughtful about should you go that route.

Rlk20025

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

TIA
As others have mentioned, its not worth it to get the JB4 and at not at least re-gap the plugs. But in my opinion, it really makes sense to upgrade to the denso or HKS colder plugs if you are going to pull the factory plugs to re-gap them. I am not a mechanic, but I took my time and replaced my plugs on my own with no issues. Just fo your research, get the right tools and you can do it without pulling the manifold.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums