• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

JB4 Map1

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Anyone seen this? Stock stinger running Map 1. I timed it at 4.05 to 60. If that's the case, Map 2 is barely? faster?

@Beefer @Toddasaurus ...others who have JB4 - what is your experience?

It's a good question. I don't have a dragy or anything accurate enough to get a reliable 0-60 time. Even so, Map 2 certainly feels faster - but I think much of it may be in my head, as the throttle response is significantly different between Map 1 and Map 2 (ie map 2 seems to hit full spool at like half throttle, whereas map 1 is more linear).

Some food for thought, take a look at this Dyno that BMS posted comparing the two...

image_603a4685-256f-4711-b619-28d4da31988b.png

....Map 1 is the green line, Map 2 is the yellow line. The difference isn't really that big at all.

Just switched to Map 2 yesterday. Hoping to do more more detailed logs here shortly.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's a good question. I don't have a dragy or anything accurate enough to get a reliable 0-60 time. Even so, Map 2 certainly feels faster - but I think much of it may be in my head, as the throttle response is significantly different between Map 1 and Map 2 (ie map 2 seems to hit full spool at like half throttle, whereas map 1 is more linear).

Some food for thought, take a look at this Dyno that BMS posted comparing the two...

View attachment 22223

....Map 1 is the green line, Map 2 is the yellow line. The difference isn't really that big at all.

Just switched to Map 2 yesterday. Hoping to do more more detailed logs here shortly.
Is that the 91 Octane Map2 dyno?
So here's the funny thing.... different engine I know but 100% stock, best I could do was 6.0 secs and it took many tries. Had to let the wheels slip to get it. Otherwise I had multiple 6.1 sec runs.
Then I did +1 psi across the board on Map6 and brought it down to 5.6 secs. It barely felt faster than stock but it made a huge difference.
So I think most of this shit is in our heads. We think Map2 is more aggressive than Map1 and immediately we "feel" feel the power when in fact the difference is probably miniscule.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's certainly interesting that you feel so much more power as the curves are identical, just a bit higher with map 2. Terry @ Burger has also said Map 1 is weak sauce and to run Map 2. Just seems like the Dyno data doesn't show that much difference and so it's hard to make sense of it.

@Toddasaurus - what plugs are you running?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's certainly interesting that you feel so much more power as the curves are identical, just a bit higher with map 2. Terry @ Burger has also said Map 1 is weak sauce and to run Map 2. Just seems like the Dyno data doesn't show that much difference and so it's hard to make sense of it.

@Toddasaurus - what plugs are you running?
Hopefully when I go for my repeat Dyno (after I'm done with my bolt-ons) I can try map 1 and Map 2 to compare..

Even so, I really think the difference in 'feel' is due to having the turbos build more boost during partial throttle - this might give the perception that you have more power, as it feels like the car is raging hard when only at like half throttle, and you assume that it still has much more to give when flooring it all the way. Probably akin to pedal tuners (purely a guess on my part).

Running new OEM plugs, gapped to 0.028, and my own custom trimmed ground electrodes. Most likely will have to swap to something colder when I start making more power after upgrades; but even so, these have held up great. No blow-out whatsoever.

Last edited:

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hopefully when I go for my repeat Dyno (after I'm done with my bolt-ons) I can try map 1 and Map 2 to compare..

Even so, I really think the difference in 'feel' is due to having the turbos build more boost during partial throttle - this might give the perception that you have more power, as it feels like the car is raging hard when only at like half throttle, and you assume that it still has much more to give when flooring it all the way. Probably akin to pedal tuners (purely a guess on my part).

Running new OEM plugs, gapped to 0.028, and my own custom trimmed ground electrodes. Most likely will have to swap to something colder when I start making more power after upgrades; but even so, these have held up great. No blow-out whatsoever.
I wonder if a pedal tuner and map 1 would feel the same then as map 2. Anyways, just curious. Many thanks for your wisdom Sensei!

What made you stay with stock plugs?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I wonder if a pedal tuner and map 1 would feel the same then as map 2. Anyways, just curious. Many thanks for your wisdom Sensei!

What made you stay with stock plugs?

The stock plugs are actually pretty dang good plugs. The biggest benefit they have over both Denso and HKS is that it has a projected tip. In theory, this ignites the air/fuel mixture from more in the middle - making the flame propagate in all directions instead of from more of a top to bottom form. This, supposedly, yields a more efficient and effective combustion; but, I'm sure the difference is negligible. Even so, it just goes to show how detailed the engineers in Korea are/were for the 3.3 engine, considering these plugs were custom designed specifically for this engine (ie no other engine uses these plugs).

The NGK 7 heat range should be good for over 400hp on this engine, but how much more is the question...

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thx. Just got to find a shop I trust to get to the plugs and replace. The location looks like a PITA.
Understandable. For me, changing the plugs wasn't too bad. But if you're not comfortable after looking at how to do it, then definitely get a shop to do it! Nothing wrong with having others do the dirty work to avoid any potential headaches.

rkar

Registered Member
Understandable. For me, changing the plugs wasn't too bad. But if you're not comfortable after looking at how to do it, then definitely get a shop to do it! Nothing wrong with having others do the dirty work to avoid any potential headaches.
That's what I'll be doing. hey Todd did you ever run map2 on 91 octane? In California all we get is 91. Going to get plugs and a JB4 soon just curious to find out.. How does it feel to you? Is it worth it just if all im going to run in 91?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's what I'll be doing. hey Todd did you ever run map2 on 91 octane? In California all we get is 91. Going to get plugs and a JB4 soon just curious to find out.. How does it feel to you? Is it worth it just if all im going to run in 91?
Yeah I ran Map 2 on 92 octane (in Oregon we have 92 as premium) and it worked great, but once temps got above 95-ish my ECU started cutting more timing than what I wanted. No knock. It still ran fine. And I don't think there was any risk of knock, but, I decided to not use Map 2 because of it. Instead I made my own map, using Map 6, and used values in-between Maps 1 & 2. It works perfectly, even at low RPMs with WOT.

rkar

Registered Member
Yeah I ran Map 2 on 92 octane (in Oregon we have 92 as premium) and it worked great, but once temps got above 95-ish my ECU started cutting more timing than what I wanted. No knock. It still ran fine. And I don't think there was any risk of knock, but, I decided to not use Map 2 because of it. Instead I made my own map, using Map 6, and used values in-between Maps 1 & 2. It works perfectly, even at low RPMs with WOT.
Wow that's awesome man. I wish I can do all that stuff, ,make my own map but I don't have all that insight to do it. That's unfortunate since all I have here is 91. Hopefully they updated the software and it runs better on 91? I'm not sure. Would love to utilize map 2 but if it's going to give me issues i'll have to stick with just map 1. :/

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wow that's awesome man. I wish I can do all that stuff, ,make my own map but I don't have all that insight to do it. That's unfortunate since all I have here is 91. Hopefully they updated the software and it runs better on 91? I'm not sure. Would love to utilize map 2 but if it's going to give me issues i'll have to stick with just map 1. :/
The JB4 is easy to make your own maps, you're just adjusting boost values, that's all.

I think it's worth trying Map 2 on 91 octane. Reach out to Terry on the N54 forum and post some logs after you get your JB4 to confirm everything is running okay.

rkar

Registered Member
The JB4 is easy to make your own maps, you're just adjusting boost values, that's all.

I think it's worth trying Map 2 on 91 octane. Reach out to Terry on the N54 forum and post some logs after you get your JB4 to confirm everything is running okay.
Cool. Thanks

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just run 4psi across the board on Map6 so you don't have a top end taper.
Or 4.5psi tapering down to 4psi and you'll have a Map that is not quite Map2.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Anyone know for Map6 what a person would enter in for "Map 6 Boost", "Fuel Bias", and "Duty Bias" as well as the other settings to make it look like Map 2? I'd like to start there - with my main goal of increasing the boost at the lower RPM range (like lower than 3500rpm) to see if that makes it a bit more responsive???

Attachments

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You don't have to worry about Fuel Bias or Duty Bias. They are separate.
Just adjust the Map6 based on Boost for the RPM.
You can use decimal values. So if 5psi doesn't work, 4.7psi may work.
Figure out what your max for each rpm is and then drop it by 0.5psi to keep things smooth and consistent.
Smaller turbos can't carry high boost in the upper range so you will have to taper if you go high on the low end.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums