Joined the Club - 2.0t Sport M/T

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hope so, but the gist of the article was that, despite having said they would offer the manual, that's changed.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's a tough business case to offer the MT; I get it. While others will bemoan the fact that Genesis never offered the MT with the V6, I somehow doubt that would make a difference in its economic feasibility. If anything, it would be an even bigger loss leader that wouldn't materialize in gaining more market share.

Even though the G70 has been a decent seller for Genesis, it doesn't seem as though they've made a significant dent in their competitors' space with the compact sport sedan. The manual transmission offering didn't achieve much in this regard. Would it have, had Genesis executed it better? Who knows. Regardless, those of us who prefer manuals will soon be dinosaurs, if we aren't already.

My first car was an automatic -- the only one I've ever owned as a daily driver. I'll go back to that, and I'll survive. But when I compare various products that compete with the G70 with automatic transmission, I have to say that the German rivals are upping their game and have some compelling offerings.

Greg6M/T

Registered Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's time for a brief update. If this post comes across as a "talk me off the ledge" kind of message, well, maybe it is.

I am more than 10 months into my G70 ownership and, if the honeymoon isn't waning, then it's all but gone. I'm as familiar with this car as I ever will be. Because of the "odd" (read: frustrating) tendencies of the ECU programming cutting engine power upon clutch engagement, it takes a long time to develop that familiarity, at least with respect to the drivetrain.

OK, time for the truth. There are plenty of things I love about the car, and it's a good car. That said, there are a handful of items that are making me wonder whether I'm falling out of love with the G70, if I was ever in love at all. Here goes.

• The aforementioned ECU programming. It's been extensively documented on this forum and elsewhere. This is a "feature," apparently, to either reduce the learning curve or provide a handicap for those new to the MT. I call it a design defect. In order to compensate for this, at least without performing any mods, one must quickly reach the friction point on the clutch and then very slowly ease through that point. It's really a two step dance, if not three. Let clutch pedal out, nearly stop letting clutch pedal out, and then let clutch pedal out. Not only is there no reason this should be necessary, but it almost certainly hastens clutch wear during that feathering stage. I used to think this was annoying. Now I think it's the killjoy of the automotive species. Note to those who've read mixed (or poor) reviews of the G70 manual transmission: it is not the shifter action or even the clutch itself that mutes an otherwise fun type of transmission. It's this damn ECU.
  • The throttle mapping. Yes, a similar issue to the ugly ECU "let me give you less fuel because you don't know what you're doing" programming, but this is its own distinct problem. It's not linear. It's not even exponential. It's like that ugly curve on the graphing calculator because you typed in the function wrong. This thing lurches, and then dies off, at the most illogical moments in the acceleration curve. Again, annoying? Yes, but more than that. It makes acceleration a messy chore.
  • Turbo lag. Yes, every turbo engine has some, and 2.0 four pots can suffer from this. But this is more than just noticeable. It's enough to drain the engine of its otherwise plentiful horsepower in more than a handful of situations. Accelerating from a stop? Here, why don't you wait a moment before I start breathing air into the engine. Accelerating into a fun curve? We'll give you some power just as your about to exit the curve. Basically, give it throttle a few seconds before you know you're going to want it. OK, I'm exaggerating. But only slightly. Account for the turbo lag, and you can probably subtract a good 30% of this engine's otherwise available power when you wished you had it.
  • Seats. I understand, this is subjective, and I know many of you love them. Well, in US spec, the 6MT doesn't get adjustable bolsters. Combine that with the wide, flat bottom cushion, and you have a bit of a hard bench if you're a narrow body like me. They're not the worst I've sat in, but they're not as good as my wife's domestic brand minivan.
I could include a few other, relatively minor gripes, but we all have some. These are severe enough that, either I discounted them at the sight of everything else that struck me upon first sight with the car or, perhaps, I just wanted to believe this car was my automotive partner for the next umpteen years. Now, I'm wondering. Is this car even the right one for me? Am I the same author as he who started this thread? What happened?

Convince me: either I settle for these things, knowing that I'm making mountains out of mole hills and no car is really perfect, or I'm just now seeing the light and this car and I just aren't great fits for each other. I'll listen.

Signed,

Angry Left Leg
I understand how you feel and agree with most of your complaints. I didn't need a new car, but had been dreaming of getting something with a manual transmission for years. This is the only car that fit my criteria: a 4-door sedan with manual transmission and rear wheel drive. I wish that it had been perfect from the factory, but there were certain things I had to take into my own hands and make the way I want. After some modifications, my car is feeling pretty great. It is probably near 300 horsepower (at the crank) and feels like I had hoped it would from the start.
  • To take care of the worst offender, the ECU power dip at clutch engagement, I had to bypass my clutch switch. This allows me to drive smoothly, which is my number one priority.
  • I added a pedal tuner to increase the sensitivity of the throttle in Comfort mode.
  • To improve the shifting feel, I added a weighted shift knob to replace the stock knob. This helps smooth out the transmission, and in my opinion, looks much better than the stock knob.
  • I removed a major restriction in the exhaust by installing an aftermarket downpipe with a high-flow catalytic converter.
  • To free up some restrictions in the intake, I added a K&N drop-in filter and removed the adapter which connects the intake snorkel to the airbox.
  • I installed a JB4 for more power/better acceleration.
The intake and exhaust modifications help the turbo spool a little faster. Lag is still there, but not as bad as I remember from my 2002 WRX. As for the seats, they are comfortable enough for me and the adjustable bolsters of my 2020 6MT do make a difference.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, I officially left the club and sold my G70. It was generally a good car, but just not for me.

I did not have the type of horrific dealership experience that some here have complained about, but it could have been better. For me, there were too many irks about the car itself that, over time, presented themselves in more obvious and intrusive ways than during that initial honeymoon period. My tastes and priorities have changed over time as well. Even though I could criticize, I won't, because I have profound respect for what H/K/G has done with its products over recent years and, in particular, how well they've executed on the new Genesis products.

I'll certainly keep up with news about Genesis vehicles in the future. I'm glad there are a lot of choices for the seemingly dwindling crowd of luxury/sport sedan buyers. I hope new and younger buyers in the luxury segment will consider coupes and sedans and not simply pull the automatic trigger on SUVs because they think they "need" them.

I may lurk here from time to time. I've found this forum to be full of genuinely helpful and dedicated Genesis owners and enthusiasts without so much of the childish forum behavior one might see elsewhere. This is a really classy group, and I'll miss that.

Best of luck to everyone and their Genesises (Genesi?).

-- LandOfConfusion

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
so long, LoC! you've been a solid contributor since you joined ~12 months ago so you'll be missed. let us know what you've moved on to considering your change in priorities.

hopefully you didn't take too much of a bath after flipping the car that quickly. can't recall if you bought or leased. tough to gauge resale of the few 6MT's around.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, I officially left the club and sold my G70. It was generally a good car, but just not for me.

I did not have the type of horrific dealership experience that some here have complained about, but it could have been better. For me, there were too many irks about the car itself that, over time, presented themselves in more obvious and intrusive ways than during that initial honeymoon period. My tastes and priorities have changed over time as well. Even though I could criticize, I won't, because I have profound respect for what H/K/G has done with its products over recent years and, in particular, how well they've executed on the new Genesis products.

I'll certainly keep up with news about Genesis vehicles in the future. I'm glad there are a lot of choices for the seemingly dwindling crowd of luxury/sport sedan buyers. I hope new and younger buyers in the luxury segment will consider coupes and sedans and not simply pull the automatic trigger on SUVs because they think they "need" them.

I may lurk here from time to time. I've found this forum to be full of genuinely helpful and dedicated Genesis owners and enthusiasts without so much of the childish forum behavior one might see elsewhere. This is a really classy group, and I'll miss that.

-- LandOfConfusion
Good luck and thanks for your contributions to the forum. Let us know what you replace it with.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Probably going to get a GV80 🤣.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So, on the topic of 6MT trim resale, can someone explain the list price of this local (to me) 2021 6MT Sport?

They have it listed as a ‘demo’ but with only 300kms (~190miles) on it for $38,720 CAD. They go for $45,500 CAD new IIRC.

Either this is a mistake, or some phishing exercise to get traffic to their lot during COVID, or the dealers get way more latitude to discount ‘demo’ units - I’m not sure how that works. Sure, selling a RWD 6MT car is tougher as we near December, but still that seems like a huge markdown.

There are other mistakes in the ad. They list the car having Navi, which CAD 6MT trims do not get - unless the dealer somehow added it which i doubt. They also say it has 265hp, when it should say 255.

Either something is haywire with the ad or that is a killer deal...

robscar

Registered Member
South central Pa
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That look to be 12-13% discount, It is alright. Manual trans cars are a tough sell, especially in a metro setting. I got a killer deal on my leftover 19 with 94 miles. I got right around 28% off. As winter approaches, the price may come down. Can always make an offer.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yeah, closer to 15% off with 300kms. we just don't typically see those discounts up in CAD especially on a next-year model which is far from being a leftover. not sure how they can even call a unit with 300kms an "ex demo". i know there are rules that the dealers have to follow for demos, but i don't know the details.

28% off is nuts and a sick deal! i assume you got all warranty coverage and other Genesis perks too, like free maintenance for 5 years, etc?

i already have my 6MT Sport, so i'm good...although i'm not a huge fan of seeing such deep discounts on essentially brand new future MY units out there. luckily i keep my cars a long time so i'm not concerned about resale for quite a while.

oh well, someone will walk away with a sweet ride at a great price. and it'll be cool to see another 6MT Sport on the road, maybe. i have yet to see anyone else with a 6MT Sport in my area.

MorrisGray

Hasn't posted much yet...
Rock Spring, GA

-- LandOfConfusion
Your original pursuit of a manual transmission was exactly where I am at today. I am also 6'1" tall. Even though I don't expect to sit in my own back seat, I always check to see if I can fit back there behind my own driving position. I have read and watched the reviews. Everything in your original post!
I am currently deciding or trying to decide what I want to buy, to replace my 2006 Mazda3 5 speed sedan daily driver going on 15 years now. I want a manual and only a manual. I have not even sat in a G70 yet but I am getting quotes on a 2021 Sport manual. Best price so far at $36,514 before tag,title,tax and doc fee.
... There is one about 100 miles from me now but they are hard to find. I did drive a new 2021 BMW 230i Coupe the other day and I loved it. It was automatic but can be ordered with a manual. Rear wheel drive, two door coupe, 248hp rating, run flat tires and no spare tire. Starts at $36,450 msrp. Options add to the price of course.
... Build Your Own Car: Luxury Car Customizer by BMW USA
I would like to hear your opinion about this car if you have one for me. Or anyone else that does.
I am in no hurry to buy but would consider almost anything with a manual except for a Corolla or a Type R Civic!
My wife drives our 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan 3.8L NA motor. It is and has been a great car.

MorrisGray

Rock Spring, GA
Thanks for the update on your realistic review. I recently picked up a 2.0t Sport m/t from a dealer in Ft Lauderdale for 11k off of msrp. Why, because nobody in Fl wants a manual trans car any longer. Havana Red of course. There are a ton of G70's at Manheim Auto auction. (work there part time). So I had the local dealer watching the prices. Got mine for less that they were selling for at the auction.
My daughter and son in law recently picked up a 2017 GTI Sport m/t that I had the opportunity to drive. Without them, which was even better. My comparison:
The engine in the GTI was much stronger and pulled right up to redline.. From what I have read VW seems to underrate this powertrain. It was also much smoother. I would think the light weight was a contributing factor.
The trans and shift linkage was tighter. Shorter throws with a more metallic feel. More connected.
The ride was comfortable, but rougher over bumps and rough roads. I also think it was a little bit noisier inside.
This little drive around the block was about 10 miles of back country roads. You could definitely feel the weight on the nose. The GTI corners really well, but it is just waiting for you to really push it into understeer. If I remember correctly the balance is close to 64/36 front to rear.
Lets look at the G70 now.
The engine is peppy, not fast, but you can certainly defeat any speed limit with ease. It would be nice if Genesis would do a software update to smooth the little hiccups in the power delivery,,, and get rid of the dip when the clutch is initially engaged.
The throws and feel of the shift linkage are longer and not quite as precise. It is not a bad unit, just not as good. Remember VW has had decades to work on this.
The ride is soo much nicer. This car strikes such a good balance between sportiness and comfort it really needs to be driven and experienced to appreciate just how good it is. I have read there is some wind noise from the mirrors, I have yet to really experience this.
The comfort aspect was important for pleasing the wife.
The handling balance is fantastic. 51/49 front to rear. I have been to the point where I think the back end will come around, but was easily able to bring it back in line. It could have just been my 6 spd addled brain imagining, but it was similar to the Solstice GXP I parted with a couple years ago.
The seats in the G70 were much more comfortable for me. Mind you, I did not adjust anything in the GTI for accommodation so maybe I could have found additional comfort.. The VW seats just felt tighter across the back.
Lets not even compare the stereo because there is none. G70 all the way.
As far as looks go, both are very attractive. Each in their own way. VW is simple and handsome. G70 has elements of BMW in the side and rear and Jaguar in the front. Very nice job of stealing design elements.
The VW was much easier to wash and wax due to it's smaller size and less crevices in the front.
The GTI was one of the cars I was considering before the G70. I am not even sure what caught my eye on the G70. Might be the 14 Havana Red ones in a row I saw at the auction.
If you want one, shop around. I found mine for 27,926.
Here is the row at the auction, then mine. At my summer house, jk.
Not trying to step on toes with my response, just add to the information on this thread.
Did you buy a used model? How many miles? What year?

MorrisGray

Rock Spring, GA
Also curious.... Do all of the 2019/2020/2021 G70 Sport manuals come with a spare tire?

robscar

Registered Member
South central Pa
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I was told it was used with 94 miles on it. The story goes, the dealer had three they could not sell. They took the cash on the hood, then listed them as used. They had three. They kept going down in price. I watched one go, watched the second one go, bought the third.
I had taken test drives in a 2020 Sport at a local dealer so I knew what they rode and drove like. There was a 2019 Sport at Manheim Auto Auction that went for more money than the one I bought. It was 579.00 to have it shipped to my door.

Attachments

• IMG_6008.JPG
    IMG_6008.JPG
    535.1 KB · Views: 5

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Also curious.... Do all of the 2019/2020/2021 G70 Sport manuals come with a spare tire?
^ no MY of the 6MT Sports have a spare tire. They spec’d the 6MT as the lightest weight and most ‘enthusiast oriented’ trim of the bunch. We get a ‘tire mobility kit’ instead of a spare. Basically this is just a compressor and tire goo like lots of European cars also lacking a spare. I believe the 3.3T Dynamic trim had the same mobility kit in place of a spare.

I’ve looked into getting a true spare tire as a retrofit, but the OE costs are nuts. I don’t get it. Infiniti had a spare tire package that was like $200. No idea why Genesis doesn’t offer a similar accessory add-on.

If you bought the car linked below, that would be like $28k USD! Once the border restrictions are lifted, maybe head north for a road trip...

Last edited:

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Your original pursuit of a manual transmission was exactly where I am at today. I am also 6'1" tall. Even though I don't expect to sit in my own back seat, I always check to see if I can fit back there behind my own driving position. I have read and watched the reviews. Everything in your original post!
I am currently deciding or trying to decide what I want to buy, to replace my 2006 Mazda3 5 speed sedan daily driver going on 15 years now. I want a manual and only a manual. I have not even sat in a G70 yet but I am getting quotes on a 2021 Sport manual. Best price so far at $36,514 before tag,title,tax and doc fee.
... There is one about 100 miles from me now but they are hard to find. I did drive a new 2021 BMW 230i Coupe the other day and I loved it. It was automatic but can be ordered with a manual. Rear wheel drive, two door coupe, 248hp rating, run flat tires and no spare tire. Starts at $36,450 msrp. Options add to the price of course.
... Build Your Own Car: Luxury Car Customizer by BMW USA
I would like to hear your opinion about this car if you have one for me. Or anyone else that does.
I am in no hurry to buy but would consider almost anything with a manual except for a Corolla or a Type R Civic!
My wife drives our 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan 3.8L NA motor. It is and has been a great car.
Nothing wrong with insisting on a manual transmission! That said, you’ll almost certainly have to make some sacrifices somewhere. No car is perfect, especially among the few cars still available in M/T spec.

My primary advice would be that you cross shop cars that aren’t necessarily compared to one another. For example, if you’re looking for a great driving experience but still want a usable back seat, consider a GTI or Veloster N. If you insist on RWD, consider the muscle cars — Mustang, etc. They all have different driving experiences and, surprisingly, are somewhat luxurious inside.

If you consider the G70, be sure to drive one first. I think the most accurate YouTube review is the one by TheTopher. He describes the throttle and clutch action pretty well.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Happy motoring!

MorrisGray

Rock Spring, GA
Nothing wrong with insisting on a manual transmission! That said, you’ll almost certainly have to make some sacrifices somewhere. No car is perfect, especially among the few cars still available in M/T spec.

My primary advice would be that you cross shop cars that aren’t necessarily compared to one another. For example, if you’re looking for a great driving experience but still want a usable back seat, consider a GTI or Veloster N. If you insist on RWD, consider the muscle cars — Mustang, etc. They all have different driving experiences and, surprisingly, are somewhat luxurious inside.

If you consider the G70, be sure to drive one first. I think the most accurate YouTube review is the one by TheTopher. He describes the throttle and clutch action pretty well.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Happy motoring!
The Veloster N is on my list but finding one nearby has not worked out yet. The GTI is something I have been interested in but fear owning a VW. Same with BMW. I did drive a 230i coupe last week with an automatic. It was really nice but I would have to special order a manual. And again, not sure if I want to own a BMW.

.... Good luck with your endeavors and thanks for all of your reviews and the information you have provided.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums