Joining your ranks with a 2009 3.8 - Moving to it from a Fiat

Razer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Indiana
Hello all, just saying hello as I'll be around here reading and such a lot and may ask a question or two in the future. I just placed a deposit on a 2009 3.8 with premium package I believe. I am moving to this from my 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth so this will be a slight change needless to say.

I like the car, hoping I like it more after I own it and get it detailed myself and such. Car is in great shape and only has 58,000 miles on it, maroon with tan interior. Just worried I'll miss the smaller faster handling of my old car - or be sad I did not go whole hog and buy a new one! (Man I love the new one) Still, hoping to get this one and pay it off in a few years and then move up into a newer one maybe. Going to be a big change that is for sure! I will be getting the wing badges for sure as soon as I know for sure it is mine. I would also love more attractive wheels but for now I think it will be fine. I say that now....

If there is anything major I need to be aware of on the 2009 3.8 I probably do not yet know it so fell free to inform me of anything. I'll be happy to share pics and such soon as it is officially mine!

Last edited:

qstarweb

Registered Member
Hello all, just saying hello as I'll be around here reading and such a lot and may ask a question or two in the future. I just placed a deposit on a 2009 3.8 with premium package I believe. I am moving to this from my 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth so this will be a slight change needless to say.

I like the car, hoping I like it more after I own it and get it detailed myself and such. Car is in great shape and only has 58,000 miles on it, maroon with tan interior. Just worried I'll miss the smaller faster handling of my old car - or be sad I did not go whole hog and buy a new one! (Man I love the new one) Still, hoping to get this one and pay it off in a few years and then move up into a newer one maybe. Going to be a big change that is for sure! I will be getting the wing badges for sure as soon as I know for sure it is mine. I would also love more attractive wheels but for now I think it will be fine. I say that now....

If there is anything major I need to be aware of on the 2009 3.8 I probably do not yet know it so fell free to inform me of anything. I'll be happy to share pics and such soon as it is officially mine!

You're going to love it and you definitely won't miss the Fiat. The Genesis is a larger car but it doesn't feel like a big car when driving it. Great color combination too, I know many here on the forum have or have had one just like yours.

Dean

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)

Just make sure you get the wing(s) for the 2009-2011 model, as later models may be different (especially after 2014). Not everyone puts on the front wings for those model years, and the wings are different front and rear (front wing has curve to fit the hood).

If you get the wings for the wheel hub, there were two different 18" wheels that year, with different hubs.

Lots of threads with instructions on how to install the wings.

Razer

Indiana
Thanks for the info, was just looking at the changes from year to year and noticing I had to get the earlier wings. Tab removal and all that stuff, I think I can get that and I think it would help the looks a little bit. Front seems slightly naked my wife says, I told her I could get wings and she thinks it would help. She's never even seen the wings mind you lol.

After looking more I think I must not 18 inch wheels, I think I must just have the base 17 inch wheels. Trying to find some photos on here to compare with but it is not the 18s I'm seeing so far that most have. I knew for sure I was not getting tech, was not positive on premium package. I know I have sunroof, memory seats and lexicon speakers. Seems after downloading the brochure for the 2009 Genesis I have the premium package, but not the premium plus? Regardless maybe I can find a steal on some 18 or 19s in the future. Brand new set of yokahama tires on there now so have to use them at least some.

I'll be hard wiring in my dashcam and radar detector pretty quick too. I was glad to know there was a good community built around the car already. Hoping I can move up later on but excited to join the family regardless!

May buy an extended warranty through my credit union depending on the price, this is my first used car so I'm worried about possible expenses surprising me later on. Overall this seems by most reports to be a reliable car though I'm glad to see.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the info, was just looking at the changes from year to year and noticing I had to get the earlier wings. Tab removal and all that stuff, I think I can get that and I think it would help the looks a little bit. Front seems slightly naked my wife says, I told her I could get wings and she thinks it would help. She's never even seen the wings mind you lol.

After looking more I think I must not 18 inch wheels, I think I must just have the base 17 inch wheels. Trying to find some photos on here to compare with but it is not the 18s I'm seeing so far that most have. I knew for sure I was not getting tech, was not positive on premium package. I know I have sunroof, memory seats and lexicon speakers. Seems after downloading the brochure for the 2009 Genesis I have the premium package, but not the premium plus? Regardless maybe I can find a steal on some 18 or 19s in the future. Brand new set of yokahama tires on there now so have to use them at least some.

I'll be hard wiring in my dashcam and radar detector pretty quick too. I was glad to know there was a good community built around the car already. Hoping I can move up later on but excited to join the family regardless!

May buy an extended warranty through my credit union depending on the price, this is my first used car so I'm worried about possible expenses surprising me later on. Overall this seems by most reports to be a reliable car though I'm glad to see.
If you are only installing the rear wing on the trunk, you don't need to grind the tabs off. They will fit in the holes used for existing flying "H" emblem. You don't need to add a wing on the hood (most forum members did not), but if you do, then posts must come off because there is no existing emblem or holes on the 2009 hood.

The tire size should be on the rubber tire. I guess it is possible that someone switched wheels on your car, but if the audio system says Lexicon and it has memory seats, then it is "at least" a Premium Package.

If you do have 17" stock wheels, the wheel hubs are fairly inexpensive to replace. You will have to take off the existing wheels to get the hub out, or use a screwdriver to punch a hole in the middle and pull them out. Do not pry them out by the edges, as you will likely damage the wheels.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Take the VIN to a dealer and make sure they will write you a Hyundai Protection Plan extended warranty. I recommend the Premium option.

If they won't write the warranty, don't buy the car.

Razer

Indiana
Take the VIN to a dealer and make sure they will write you a Hyundai Protection Plan extended warranty. I recommend the Premium option.

If they won't write the warranty, don't buy the car.

I am buying directly from a Hyundai dealer so getting a warranty from them should be easy if I want to get that one. My credit union offers a plan that covers everything and will let me take it to the Hyundai dealer for service as normal. Covers everything besides wear items like brake pads, battery and tires and the like. I will get more details on it tomorrow. Supposed to be cheaper than dealer option but we shall see how it compares. I will buy the top version of that one too if I get it.

Are these that scary, seriously? I was under the impression that were generally reliable in this year and with the 3.8. I may be totally wrong though! Might be good to know before I get the loan done tomorrow if hey are something to run from. Car was owned by dealership employee so it was kept up on and the dealer I'm buying from has done all work to date and I purchased my wife's last two brand new cars from them so I trust them pretty well.

Drove by the dealer today to check my wheels and confirmed they are the 17 inch wheels. Thought they looked small, but I will survive fine for now.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Oops Typo: I meant "Platinum" HPP option, not Premium. LOL

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Buying ANY used car without a warranty is scary these days, especially when you consider the cost of replacing radios, Navs and backup camera, etc. components. Be sure your credit union covers such problems.

BeastMaster

Registered Member

Welcome! I just picked up a 2011 Genesis 4.6, same colors as yours. I have installed the wing emblems, front and rear. The hardest part was polishing the rear truck lid after removing the "H" but before installing the wings. A little Meguiar's M105/M205, and it looked like new before the installation.

Razer

Indiana
Thanks very much for the welcome here guys. I do appreciate it! I got financing settled today and the Hyundai dealer was able to match my credit union pricing for warranty coverage so I purchased from my dealer just to keep it simple. Seemed like the best route if they could match the price and they did so I'm happy. 4 year 48k coverage so I am good until 107k now. I will be trading up at that point so I'm happy.

Check comes tomorrow and I'll be able to bring it home hopefully tomorrow. I love to detail cars, or at least I'm pretty good at it so I will have a project to keep me busy next weekend as long as the weather is nice. Have to remove a stupid pinstripe too that I do not care for so I will be going over it and giving it at least a basic cleaning. I am excited!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums