Just Got An Invite To See The GV80!

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada
Got an email today saying I was invited to my local dealer to see the GV80 and the G80 in the flesh. They are touring Canada with a few vehicles so this will happen all across Canada in the next few weeks. My appointment is August 3rd, heck that is on Monday! Hopefully this is the Canadian edition and not those bastardized ones floating around the US. Gonna take a bunch of pictures for sure.

mcornett

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Got an email today saying I was invited to my local dealer to see the GV80 and the G80 in the flesh. They are touring Canada with a few vehicles so this will happen all across Canada in the next few weeks. My appointment is August 3rd, heck that is on Monday! Hopefully this is the Canadian edition and not those bastardized ones floating around the US. Gonna take a bunch of pictures for sure.
They’re the pre-production models, unfortunately. Genesis Toronto confirmed that in an email to me.

Backslack

Registered Member
The pre-production models are the same, and are spec'd to the Korean market and not the USA or Canadian markets. Go read the other GV80 thread where Ctsooner gets to drive a matte green GV80 and a 2.5T with features unavailable here.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis G70
Again...he is in the USA. These are Canadian cars. Perhaps bastardized, etc. My point is the Canadian border is closed...and I can pretty much guarantee you the cars in the USA will not be touring Canada. Genesis Canada and Genesis USA have nothing to do with each other...absolutely no reason Genesis Canada would use the USA cars for a cross-Canada tour.

We will know Monday.

Backslack

Registered Member
Nobody said that the same cars being showcased to US journalists are going to be driven over the border to Canada. As Mcornett already confirmed, these are pre-production models. All pre-production models are spec'd to the Korean market. There is no fundamental difference between the pre-production models being showcased in Canada compared to the ones in the US. None of the pre-production models are made for their target market.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis G70
They're starting to make rounds with journalists, but can't yet be driven.

First Look: We Get Cozy With the 2021 Genesis G80 On Video
Nobody said that the same cars being showcased to US journalists are going to be driven over the border to Canada. As Mcornett already confirmed, these are pre-production models. All pre-production models are spec'd to the Korean market. There is no fundamental difference between the pre-production models being showcased in Canada compared to the ones in the US. None of the pre-production models are made for their target market.
That’s not my point. You clearly stated they cannot be driven...and posted a link to a USA article.

My point is...Genesis Canada has nothing to do with USA.

You cannot make any statements on the Canadian cars...or whether they will allow folks to drive them.

That’s why I said wait until Monday.

Last edited:

Backslack

Registered Member
They can't be driven because they are pre-production models. Meaning, they are not yet tuned for their respective country's roads. What makes you think Genesis Canada will be any different, when they're using the same pre-production models?

As for Canadian models, go read the G80 thread where another member was invited to his dealership to see it:

Canadian 2021 G80 pre-order thread.

They are merely in showrooms, not meant to be driven.

Londoner01

Registered Member
No Genesis Yet!
Genesis London (Canada) just notified me, the GV80 vehicles will be at their dealership from Friday Aug 21 thru Monday Aug 24.
They are for viewing only, NO test drives. All "units on Static Display".
My appointment is for Friday Aug 21.. That is everything I know.

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
No Genesis Yet!
Just to be clear the ones that I got to drive here in the US were bastardized vehicles. The small engine was on the one that had the gloss paint green, and all the prestige features. The larger engine was in the basic 115 even have the leather at on the door or any of the padding that was on the door and I had to features of what are the basic models. You had to go through and see why they even did the way they did it but it was strange. As far as the drive I was told that these were definitely tune to the Korean market and that’s why they felt No mushy to me and had absolutely zero Drive feel. If they don’t tighten that up I don’t know if I’ll be getting one as I’m not used to not having any feel for the road. My assumption is that they know that about the American market and will do what’s necessary to two in the car to be at least fun to drive

NextGen

No Genesis Yet!
Just to be clear the ones that I got to drive here in the US were bastardized vehicles. The small engine was on the one that had the gloss paint green, and all the prestige features. The larger engine was in the basic 115 even have the leather at on the door or any of the padding that was on the door and I had to features of what are the basic models. You had to go through and see why they even did the way they did it but it was strange. As far as the drive I was told that these were definitely tune to the Korean market and that’s why they felt No mushy to me and had absolutely zero Drive feel. If they don’t tighten that up I don’t know if I’ll be getting one as I’m not used to not having any feel for the road. My assumption is that they know that about the American market and will do what’s necessary to two in the car to be at least fun to drive
I think you're right! Sorta related to that, this is a quote from Albert Bierman, the head of R&D at Genesis, talking about the GV80 --

Bierman said the suspension, which features adaptive dampers that adjust according to road information from forward-facing cameras, will be retuned for the U.S. "I wouldn't say it will be stiffer," he said. "It'll have even more body control."

Genesis GV80 Is Late to the Party But Is Dressed to Impress

Backslack

Registered Member
I think you're right! Sorta related to that, this is a quote from Albert Bierman, the head of R&D at Genesis, talking about the GV80 --

Bierman said the suspension, which features adaptive dampers that adjust according to road information from forward-facing cameras, will be retuned for the U.S. "I wouldn't say it will be stiffer," he said. "It'll have even more body control."

Genesis GV80 Is Late to the Party But Is Dressed to Impress
Yeah, this was mentioned in some of the earliest threads here. Korean roads are filled with speed bumps and speeding cameras that generally discourage spirited driving. I believe in the past, Hyundai tuned the throttle response or transmission logic differently for cars outside their country as well, which would explain why journalists here have been able to get much faster 0-60 times on our versions of Genesis models compared to the KDM ones.

Backslack

Registered Member

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis G70
You get to see it today? Drive it?

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada
These are pre production, therefor not allowed on the road. Touch, see and feel like going to a car show. Will be going there in a few hours.

Richard Mississauga

Old Fart
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Canada
Genesis G80

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
No Genesis Yet!
Why flame? Heck, you are honest. I think they knocked the looks out of the ballpark. I do like the interiors. Even my Jag, which was always known for a lot of awesome wood and leather trim, scrimped out on the newer models. Still great, but my friends who use to drive them, won't look at them anymore. I agree on the engine choices and the price bumps.

In the US, there is a couple of thousand difference between the 3.5 Advance and the 2.5 Prestige. The ONLY difference are the 2.5 has the 22" rims and the Active Noise Reduction. Those are the only two difference I could find. I would rather have the 20" rims anyways, even though they look like ass to me. I honestly DON'T like the 20" look, but that's personal. Wish they offered the cool ones that the G90 uses with webbing.

Glad you got to see them.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums