• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

K&N (or other) Intake Air Filters

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I've always replaced the OEM paper filters on a turbo car with a K&N drop-in replacement. At the moment they don't have a listing for the G70, although they do for the Stinger as well as for the G80. I have no idea whether it's in my head that they're better, but it's a small investment. Although that "Typhoon" version does claim a measurable increase in HP.

I contacted them a few weeks ago asking if the Stinger version would fit the G70, with a "we don't know since we haven't tested it" response - fair enough. Today though they sent me another email asking me to fill out this form - so looks like perhaps they're looking to add!

Any other options out there? Am I wasting my money? ;)

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can't see why it wouldn't fit.

That said, I have changed in the past on some vehicles but won't on this car since there are two filters and they are both replaced for free during the 5yr100k warranty so I plan on enjoying that. :)

Last edited:

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would never run a K&N filter in any of my vehicles. But that's just me.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would never run a K&N filter in any of my vehicles. But that's just me.
Why? Turbos (especially) love air. Any sort of open air cleaner, etc does wonders. Better mileage as well.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think the increased air flow comes at the cost of letting more particulates in to the engine, which increases wear.
No...it's still protected. It's a wet filter application...nothing get's through. It's just an open concept...air moves into the filter more freely.

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have the G70 3.3T Sport and bought the K&N drop in filter for Stinger. No issue so far after 2 weeks and it makes better engine sound at higher RPM.
Oh that's great, thanks - I'll probably bite the bullet and do the same ...

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No...it's still protected. It's a wet filter application...nothing get's through. It's just an open concept...air moves into the filter more freely.
I bought a truck one time from a meticulous owner that had a K&N filter installed. If I remember correctly there was a small amount of fine dust in the air box. I changed over to a good quality filter and havent's seen any since. There is an old saying, there is no free lunch. IE, to gain air flow you need to have greater porosity. That being said, everyone is an individual and can do whatever they want to their own vehicles.

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Oh that's great, thanks - I'll probably bite the bullet and do the same ...
I'm unfamiliar to the whole mod'ing an engine or otherwise.... can someone explain what exactly this K&N filter does? And why are there two filters? One for each turbo I'm assuming?

How much would one of the K&N filters cost each?

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm unfamiliar to the whole mod'ing an engine or otherwise.... can someone explain what exactly this K&N filter does? And why are there two filters? One for each turbo I'm assuming?

How much would one of the K&N filters cost each?
Basically the K&N (and presumably other) filters are made of cotton versus the paper that the OEM ones are made from - this allows greater airflow to the turbo (yes that's why there's two) which theoretically should give you a *slight* boost to power. Realistically so little you probably wouldn't really notice it. As an added bonus the filters are cleanable, and reusable, so rather than having to dispose of the OEM ones each time you can remove, clean, re-oil and replace the K&N ones over and over. It's a little more work obviously, so not for everyone. I had one in my previous 2.0T car for many years without a problem - in fact since I had an engine tune it was pretty much required.

A good explanation is on their website - K&N Lifetime Performance Air Filters - Aftermarket Automotive and Motorcycle Air Filters

The ones that are made for the 3.3 Stinger are about $50 each, so $100 for the set.

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
OK, so eventually they would pay for themselves. Does the talk about letting additional particles in have any merit?

So the upsides are: possible more power, can be cleaned and reused to save money
Downsides are: might not increase power appreciably so no point, might let additional particles in?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Basically the K&N (and presumably other) filters are made of cotton versus the paper that the OEM ones are made from - this allows greater airflow to the turbo (yes that's why there's two) which theoretically should give you a *slight* boost to power. Realistically so little you probably wouldn't really notice it. As an added bonus the filters are cleanable, and reusable, so rather than having to dispose of the OEM ones each time you can remove, clean, re-oil and replace the K&N ones over and over. It's a little more work obviously, so not for everyone. I had one in my previous 2.0T car for many years without a problem - in fact since I had an engine tune it was pretty much required.

A good explanation is on their website - K&N Lifetime Performance Air Filters - Aftermarket Automotive and Motorcycle Air Filters

The ones that are made for the 3.3 Stinger are about $50 each, so $100 for the set.
Then...to add to that...you can do one step further. Do an open air cleaner. You replace the entire filter box with a big cone shaped filter. Those are the best...and is what I will do (times 2)...but usually a kit.

Check it out for the Stinger...9+ HP increase...and the sound is fantastic !!!
69-5318TS - K&N Intake Kits, Performance Air Intake System direct from K&N

kennyw73

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
OK, so eventually they would pay for themselves. Does the talk about letting additional particles in have any merit?

So the upsides are: possible more power, can be cleaned and reused to save money
Downsides are: might not increase power appreciably so no point, might let additional particles in?
I am not sure about the particles part, but based on running the K&N with my previous infiniti G35 I never experience that issue. I usually clean the filter once a year with the recharge kit and never have any particle build up in the airbox.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
benefits/downsides to that?
Brilliant breath-ability for the turbos. The sound is amazing. Plus performance. This plus the piggyback is my destiny. Might do exhaust but thinking not.

I did this on my 2010 Infiniti G37 Coupe...loved it. And it was NA...even more gains for turbos.

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Personally I think it's arguing the 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin' thing, but it's possible. The reason why I use K&N specifically is that they've been doing it for 50 years and they're specialized in filters. On their site they talk about customers who have had their filters in their vehicles for literally a million miles ...

As for the cost savings ... not really since Genesis gives you complimentary service, but certainly beyond that it would save money.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The problem with K&N, and many other "high performance" filters is efficiency...or the lack thereof. I've read a number of tests from several years ago showing K&N filters allowing more fine dust to pass through the filter media than OEM. To illustrate this, simply take your K&N filter and hold it up to the light, there are tiny pin pricks of light that will come through. You can literally see the gaps in the filter media. K&N is just a couple sheets of 90 degree criss cross cheesecloth, with a little bit of oil on it, and a fine wire mesh holding it together.

On top of that, it's pretty rare to find any power gains from the filter alone, as the surface area is usually very similar to stock filters and you're not changing the volume or design of the intake path.

In my opinion, getting a flat panel OEM replacement filter from K&N or any other performance company is a waste of time and money. If you want more performance, get a full intake with PROVEN gains via dyno. With cone filters there *can* be the potential for more surface area, which *can* result in less intake restrictions; but, honestly, you'll get the biggest gain from getting cooler air and changing the length/size/design of the intake piping by replacing the entire system.

Particulate efficiency references....

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
Engine Air Filter Testing, engine air filters | R2CPerformance.com
Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

Either way, it's your car. Do you what you want.

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Then...to add to that...you can do one step further. Do an open air cleaner. You replace the entire filter box with a big cone shaped filter. Those are the best...and is what I will do (times 2)...but usually a kit.

Check it out for the Stinger...9+ HP increase...and the sound is fantastic !!!
69-5318TS - K&N Intake Kits, Performance Air Intake System direct from K&N

Brilliant breath-ability for the turbos. The sound is amazing. Plus performance. This plus the piggyback is my destiny. Might do exhaust but thinking not.

I did this on my 2010 Infiniti G37 Coupe...loved it. And it was NA...even more gains for turbos.
Any warranty voiding issues with running these? What do you mean by they sound better? Like the "whistle" you get with a turbo is louder?

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70