• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Keeping the chrome near the rear exhaust clean?

mrjberlin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not sure if this should be posted here or in the engine section.

The chrome piece near the exhaust tips has literally turned black... :eek:

Any suggestions on a wax or product to keep this clean?

Here is a random internet pic of the area I'm talking about

thank you View attachment 21277
Wash your car weekly? I seriously haven’t seen a car that doesn’t do this...your pic looks normal to me

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If you mean on the metal, I "cleaned" mine the other week using an abrasive pad (3M) meant for polishing stainless steel. Worked well, no side effects. Started with a coarser pad and then finer to get rid of the polishing marks. Took about 5 minutes, and I expect this will be part of regular cleaning now.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Or just buy heavy duty Mr Clean pad.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I always clean mine every week when I wash my car, I use the same microfiber towel I use for the rims. Any APC will work, if they get too dirty you can use any mild polisher or as said before any abrasive pad will do the job.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Normal buildup. Oddly enough, I've never seen it on my car, but I do wash about once a week. My brother's Q50 gets a bit more buildup and it's not hard to get most of it off. There is a stubborn bit near a crease which bothers me, but hey, not my car

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If you do normal, at least once a week, manual car wash this will never need anything other than soap & water. In all my life with over 30 cars owned I have never had one look like the one in photo and all I do is wash them with the rest of the car. Car wash guys will have a problem as the car wash doesn't wrap under enough to clean them, but if you regularly use a car wash...then you probably don't care anyway.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Bringing this back from the dead. My exhaust tip housings have begun to look really bad lately, so I took it to a car wash and they still looked bad. I tried a Mr Clean magic eraser, evidently I took @Alfer 's comment to heart, and guess what? It works. It works REALLY well.

Before magic eraser... (again, this is how it looked AFTER a really good wash)

IMG_20191205_164700.jpg

After magic eraser...

IMG_20191205_164744.jpg

The carbon buildup literally just wiped right off. I didn't have to scrub it at all, just wiped and it went away. Lol. Super easy.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Bringing this back from the dead. My exhaust tip housings have begun to look really bad lately, so I took it to a car wash and they still looked bad. I tried a Mr Clean magic eraser, evidently I took @Alfer 's comment to heart, and guess what? It works. It works REALLY well.

Before magic eraser... (again, this is how it looked AFTER a really good wash)

View attachment 25448

After magic eraser...

View attachment 25449

The carbon buildup literally just wiped right off. I didn't have to scrub it at all, just wiped and it went away. Lol. Super easy.
I use magic eraser too for cleaning some hard to take away stains on my chrome wheels. If you do it easy there is no chance to mark them and always look shiny.

tuckerdog1

Been here awhile...
TEXAS
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. Tried the Magic Eraser. It was working somewhat, but after about 5 minutes of scrubbing on one tip ( and results that were not that great ), I tried something else. Bar Keeper's Friend. It was literally 30-40 seconds on each tip & I was done. Was so happy with the results, took a pic of the left side ( cleaned ) and the right side ( not yet cleaned ) as a before & after.
unnamed (7).jpg unnamed (10).jpg

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I used bug and tar remover.

SoonerDoc

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have used I have use barkeeper's friend on my last 2 cars. Have not used it on my G70 yet. It did work well on my G37 and Q50.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums