Key Not Detected

congie66

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
2015 Coupe 3.8 L
Cannot start car to take to dealer. Dealer does not return calls very well: closed now for weekend.
I have 2 electronic keys and neither works. Batteries are fine.
Have seen this before on these forums but no good answer.

Please help if you know any solutions......................

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
2015 Coupe 3.8 L
Cannot start car to take to dealer. Dealer does not return calls very well: closed now for weekend.

Only thing to try is to hold the key right next to the button and see if it works. End of my expertise on the subject.

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
What about the physical emergency key?

congie66

Genesis Model Type
Thank you for your reply. I have located the physical key but there is no place to insert it, that I can find????

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

congie66

Genesis Model Type
Dear LarryMG,
Thank you so much for helping others ... I am always touched by how some people, like you, are willing to do this kind of thing for no expectations of remuneration. The first of three videos was spot on for my problem -- I learned how Hyundai hides the door key lock under the door handle, very smart. I also learned that the car is supposed to start, even if the key fob is not detected, by putting the fob directly on the start button with foot on brake. However, this did not work in my 2015 3.8 coupe.
Both the batteries in the car and in the fob are strong.
I am ready to give up and call a tow truck; I am skeptical that my local dealer, not knownfor sterling service, will be able to fix this.
I am also very frustrated with car makers that they have to make it this hard for owners in an attempt to thwart car theft.
There is no doubt in my mind that professional thieves know how to get around this: it is only us poor non-thieves who can't do it.
Again, thank you for your work!!!!

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Try placing the key fob on the start button and pushing the start button with the fob. Of course, foot on the brake.
congie66, my pleasure. I try to put myself in the other person's situation. If I can even remotely be of assistance I will try to help. Sorry, none of the suggestions have proven beneficial. Good Luck.

JbabyMia

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Dear LarryMG,
Thank you so much for helping others ... I am always touched by how some people, like you, are willing to do this kind of thing for no expectations of remuneration. The first of three videos was spot on for my problem -- I learned how Hyundai hides the door key lock under the door handle, very smart. I also learned that the car is supposed to start, even if the key fob is not detected, by putting the fob directly on the start button with foot on brake. However, this did not work in my 2015 3.8 coupe.
Both the batteries in the car and in the fob are strong.
I am ready to give up and call a tow truck; I am skeptical that my local dealer, not knownfor sterling service, will be able to fix this.
I am also very frustrated with car makers that they have to make it this hard for owners in an attempt to thwart car theft.
There is no doubt in my mind that professional thieves know how to get around this: it is only us poor non-thieves who can't do it.

IM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM.... help please!!!!

crunk

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Did either of you ever get this figured out?

The same thing happened to mine. Key fob not recognized. New batteries, push against start button etc did nothing. Mine is at the dealer and already racked up 10 hours of the tech’s time with zero progress.

The Hyundai dealer did say that the obd2 port isn’t communicating with their tool. Weird. Dash lights up and electronics work but something isn’t allowing the fob to connect so the car can start.

KBsmkr

Genesis Model Type
any progress on solutions for you guys? mine is now DOA with the message KEY NOT DETECTED

Last edited:

KBsmkr

Genesis Model Type
i got the car started with the fob in the key slot in the center console so i ordered new fobs

Landerson122889

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
2015 Coupe 3.8 L

I’m starting to experience the same issue. Did you ever get any good info?

G-705728

Did either of you ever get this figured out?

The same thing happened to mine. Key fob not recognized. New batteries, push against start button etc did nothing. Mine is at the dealer and already racked up 10 hours of the tech’s time with zero progress.

The Hyundai dealer did say that the obd2 port isn’t communicating with their tool. Weird. Dash lights up and electronics work but something isn’t allowing the fob to connect so the car can start.
Well you can do a hard start ,find the fuse box locate the ignition 2 relay take it out take off cover on relay get in car turn car to the on position go back to relay spot ,with cover off push it back in and touch side of relay car will start .

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums