• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Key Not Detected

Jo020be

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Tried Hard start
Tried jump start
Tried Pressure on brake
Tried drop in neutral
Tried key fob change out
Over to dealer
Dealer says that it is a starter issue..part is currently back ordered. Still under warranty so I will test the G70 2020 until it is fixed.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Vancouver WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Tried Hard start
Tried jump start
Tried Pressure on brake
Tried drop in neutral
Tried key fob change out
Over to dealer
11 months ago I had a similar problem with my '18 G80 Sport (totally dead in garage. Called Genesis and they sent a guy out to jump start the car. No dice, his jump start battery didn't do anything. Had to leave town and the car sat in my garage for 45 days. When I got back, complained again to Genesis and this time they sent a tow truck out to tow to dealer.

However before hooking up the tow truck, the driver wanted to try a jump start one more time. He had.a setup that had two 12V batteries in series. Hook them up to my car and the battery spun the engine like it was a jet turbine. Car IMMEDIATELY fire up and the tow driver left. I immediately drove directly to the dealer who wanted to do some tests on the car and keep it for few days.. They gave me a G70 loaner for about 4 days. The service manager couldn't find anything wrong with the car or the battery. I don't think they did anything to the car. I picked the car up toward the end of Feb '20 and it's run like a top ever since. I still be nervous every time I'm out and about as to whether the same problem will happen again. I even considered trading it in as I don't want any vehicle that might not start when I'm out and about.

G-381139

11 months ago I had a similar problem with my '18 G80 Sport (totally dead in garage. Called Genesis and they sent a guy out to jump start the car. No dice, his jump start battery didn't do anything. Had to leave town and the car sat in my garage for 45 days. When I got back, complained again to Genesis and this time they sent a tow truck out to tow to dealer.

However before hooking up the tow truck, the driver wanted to try a jump start one more time. He had.a setup that had two 12V batteries in series. Hook them up to my car and the battery spun the engine like it was a jet turbine. Car IMMEDIATELY fire up and the tow driver left. I immediately drove directly to the dealer who wanted to do some tests on the car and keep it for few days.. They gave me a G70 loaner for about 4 days. The service manager couldn't find anything wrong with the car or the battery. I don't think they did anything to the car. I picked the car up toward the end of Feb '20 and it's run like a top ever since. I still be nervous every time I'm out and about as to whether the same problem will happen again. I even considered trading it in as I don't want any vehicle that might not start when I'm out and about.
How'd this happen there's an override listed in the owner's manual so while the car is in the off position press the start button and then immediately half a second later press the brake pedal

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Vancouver WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
How'd this happen there's an override listed in the owner's manual so while the car is in the off position press the start button and then immediately half a second later press the brake pedal
I'll have to check that out. Wondering if this procedure will work with a dead battery? Probably not...

StelloinSRQ

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
Hi all! I went to my manual & it showed me where to insert the whole fob into a slot in my center console. So I now have 1 fob that is detected & 1 that I have to insert. Hope this works for you !

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Rob C

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Tried Hard start
Tried jump start
Tried Pressure on brake
Tried drop in neutral
Tried key fob change out
Over to dealer
Well its been two years now, can we get an update please, did you ever get it fixed. Thanks Rob

Rob C

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hi all! I went to my manual & it showed me where to insert the whole fob into a slot in my center console. So I now have 1 fob that is detected & 1 that I have to insert. Hope this works for you !
I have a 2016 aswell but can find no slot in center console???

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
I have a 2016 aswell but can find no slot in center console???
Looks like she has a 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and you have a 2016 Hyundai Genesis Sedan. Those are two very different things (more so than just the number of doors). You do not have any smart key slot. In your case, if there is a problem you hold the smart key up to the start button. It's in the manual.

Rob C

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Looks like she has a 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and you have a 2016 Hyundai Genesis Sedan. Those are two very different things (more so than just the number of doors). You do not have any smart key slot. In your case, if there is a problem you hold the smart key up to the start button. It's in the manual.
Thanks for reply

Rob C

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Dealer says that it is a starter issue..part is currently back ordered. Still under warranty so I will test the G70 2020 until it is fixed.
Turns out it was my starter as well, what is going on with all these starters going bad??

Rob C

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Anyone ever get a quote for starter replacement I did 1,700.00 also anyone find a video of replacement on AWD vehicle.

zamir

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
2015 Coupe 3.8 L
Cannot start car to take to dealer. Dealer does not return calls very well: closed now for weekend.
I have 2 electronic keys and neither works. Batteries are fine.
Have seen this before on these forums but no good answer.

Please help if you know any solutions......................
you can start it with the key

zamir

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

If he had the batteries wired in series, your car would have smoked. (it would be 24 volts) He had the batteries wired in parallel :)

zamir

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Only thing to try is to hold the key right next to the button and see if it works. End of my expertise on the subject.
These cars can be started with the key if the FOB does not work. Unless there is something wrong. Genesis cars are extremely sensitive to low batteries. (voltage can be good but if current is low....) A good boost takes care of this possibility.