Lane Keep.. does it annoy you?

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
this is my first car with LKA, 3 days into ownership, but I find this feature annoying.. Yes I know I can turn it off.

my issues:

I am a good driver, I keep to the center of my lane, I don't use my phone or do other things while I drive so I am not distracted.. But it feels like the LKA is fighting me not assisting me.

some of the highways around here have been "widened" by eliminating the left shoulder, as such the lane markers (lines) are not on the cement breaks, they have been moved to be off center of the cement panels. As such there is typically a cement break in the lane, and your tires catch the groove and it makes your car wander, as such I typically drive to the left of these breaks keeping the wheels away from them, this will put me a little closer to the left side of the lane, and LKA keeps trying to pull me back toward the break, and when it does the car gets loose and wobbles.

here is a picture of what I mean, see the break in the cement, in some areas that break is 4"-6" wide, your tires catch it and the car wanders.

1528852288165.png

Here's another, see how bad they get, and they move across the lanes, when your tires catch them the car follows the break/groove:
1528852667882.png

Additionally, when cruising I don't keep my hands at 9 and 3, or 10 and 2., I typically keep my left hand around the 7-8 o'clock position and my right on the console. as such the LKA keeps telling me to put my hands on the steering wheel, even though technically they are on the wheel and the car is tracking straight, in the lane and I am not weaving at all.

and then there is the pulling me back into the lane fight when I am attempting to change lanes, even with the signal on, the car seems to get irritated at me for changing lanes and I feel like I am fighting it when attempting to make a lane change.

Last edited:

Scooby

Hasn't posted much yet...
Wake Forest NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Mine is irritating at times as well... feels like it wants to pull me to the left or center line and often times is too close to passing cars in 2 way traffic. Now about that remote start... don't get me started on that... lol

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
this is my first car with LKA, 3 days into ownership, but I find this feature annoying.. Yes I know I can turn it off.

my issues:
Additionally, when cruising I don't keep my hands at 9 and 3, or 10 and 2., I typically keep my left hand around the 4-5 o'clock position and my right on the console. as such the LKA keeps telling me to put my hands on the steering wheel, even though technically they are on the wheel and the car is tracking straight, in the lane and I am not weaving at all.

and then there is the pulling me back into the lane fight when I am attempting to change lanes, even with the signal on, the car seems to get irritated at me for changing lanes and I feel like I am fighting it when attempting to make a lane change.
Wow, that seems super aggressive. I've had two Genesis now and neither acted that way. Aside from the haptic feel of the wheel if I do drift I don't even know it is on. I drive a lot with one hand or only a few fingers at 8 o'clock and don't get the message.

Someone else had a similar complaint a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to swap cars for a few miles to see if they are different in handling. I never feel it unless I have a super light touch on the wheel and enter a curve.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Wow, that seems super aggressive. I've had two Genesis now and neither acted that way. Aside from the haptic feel of the wheel if I do drift I don't even know it is on. I drive a lot with one hand or only a few fingers at 8 o'clock and don't get the message.

Someone else had a similar complaint a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to swap cars for a few miles to see if they are different in handling. I never feel it unless I have a super light touch on the wheel and enter a curve.
oops yeah I goofed that, not sure what I was thinking.. yes left hand around the 7-8 o'clock position, with a few fingers, and it beeps at me to put my hands on the wheel..

JohnRa

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Why don't you just disable LKAS and have the Lane Departure Warning enabled in the settings?

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Tennessee
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have disabled LKAS and left the LDW warning/nag enabled. I typically drive with left hand at 7:37 o'clock unless conditions warrant standard 3 and 9 o'clock (inclement weather, heavy/fast traffic ,twisty road ;) etc.). I've not experienced the LKAS "put your hands on the wheel" nag.

I am an IT professional. I know how buggy software can be, all use cases cannot be considered and I don't trust programmers. I am the primary safety system in a vehicle. The systems in the car are secondary/backup systems.

Eyes on the road, mind focused on controlling a 2+ ton piece of metal travelling at 60+MPH, do not use cell, expect the unexpected and always have an "out".

I consistently remember that hitting a wall at 60+MPH is roughly equivalent to falling out of the sky at 60+MPH and hitting the ground. I've rolled a car at 60MPH. It is a reminder to me of the damage a heavy/fast moving vehicle can do to myself, others and personal property.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have disabled LKAS and left the LDW warning/nag enabled. I typically drive with left hand at 7:37 o'clock unless conditions warrant standard 3 and 9 o'clock (inclement weather, heavy/fast traffic ,twisty road ;) etc.). I've not experienced the LKAS "put your hands on the wheel" nag.

I am an IT professional. I know how buggy software can be, all use cases cannot be considered and I don't trust programmers. I am the primary safety system in a vehicle. The systems in the car are secondary/backup systems.

Eyes on the road, mind focused on controlling a 2+ ton piece of metal travelling at 60+MPH, do not use cell, expect the unexpected and always have an "out".

I consistently remember that hitting a wall at 60+MPH is roughly equivalent to falling out of the sky at 60+MPH and hitting the ground. I've rolled a car at 60MPH. It is a reminder to me of the damage a heavy/fast moving vehicle can do to myself, others and personal property.

I'm also an IT professional, my mindset is the same as yours, personally I prefer to be in control of my vehicle, not allow "Uncle Bob" (let's see if anyone gets that reference) to control it. However these are new systems to me so I am playing with them a bit to see how good/bad they are.

I've never rolled a car, but I have been in my fair share of accidents both motorcycle and car from years of racing and working in the industry.. I did have a bad wipe out at 140+mph in a Dodge Viper on a track, an accident I walked away from uninjured, but then there was the motorcycle accident in commuter traffic that essentially changed my life and permanently disabled me.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm also an IT professional, my mindset is the same as yours, personally I prefer to be in control of my vehicle, not allow "Uncle Bob" (let's see if anyone gets that reference) to control it. However these are new systems to me so I am playing with them a bit to see how good/bad they are.

I've never rolled a car, but I have been in my fair share of accidents both motorcycle and car from years of racing and working in the industry.. I did have a bad wipe out at 140+mph in a Dodge Viper on a track, an accident I walked away from uninjured, but then there was the motorcycle accident in commuter traffic that essentially changed my life and permanently disabled me.
Are you referring to Bob Martin? I'm a software engineer and am well aware of the issues that large complex software encounters. I've spent 30+ years in embedded software testing.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City
Additionally, when cruising I don't keep my hands at 9 and 3, or 10 and 2., I typically keep my left hand around the 7-8 o'clock position and my right on the console. as such the LKA keeps telling me to put my hands on the steering wheel, even though technically they are on the wheel and the car is tracking straight, in the lane and I am not weaving at all.
My car seems to "bark" at me when I don't give any feedback at all. Even with my hand on the wheel, it will still tell me from time to time to keep my hands on it. I think this has to do with the driver feedback and the LKA. If you don't turn or adjust the wheel at all for a given period, then it'll warn me. The wheel doesn't detect whether your hands are on it or not, it's detecting movement. I NEVER use mine unless someone is intrigued with it in the passenger seat or I get bored on a long drive. I pay attention and don't have any distractions so no need for it.

tomwho7

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

my issues:

I am a good driver, I keep to the center of my lane, I don't use my phone or do other things while I drive so I am not distracted.. But it feels like the LKA is fighting me not assisting me.

some of the highways around here have been "widened" by eliminating the left shoulder, as such the lane markers (lines) are not on the cement breaks, they have been moved to be off center of the cement panels. As such there is typically a cement break in the lane, and your tires catch the groove and it makes your car wander, as such I typically drive to the left of these breaks keeping the wheels away from them, this will put me a little closer to the left side of the lane, and LKA keeps trying to pull me back toward the break, and when it does the car gets loose and wobbles.

here is a picture of what I mean, see the break in the cement, in some areas that break is 4"-6" wide, your tires catch it and the car wanders.

View attachment 14063

Here's another, see how bad they get, and they move across the lanes, when your tires catch them the car follows the break/groove:
View attachment 14064

Your LKA needs a spanking or software update . I cannot tell if mine is even on :(

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Are you referring to Bob Martin? I'm a software engineer and am well aware of the issues that large complex software encounters. I've spent 30+ years in embedded software testing.
no "uncle bob" was the name John Conner gave his Terminator protector in The Terminator 2, when John had to introduce Arnold to Sarah's weapons supplier.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My car seems to "bark" at me when I don't give any feedback at all. Even with my hand on the wheel, it will still tell me from time to time to keep my hands on it. I think this has to do with the driver feedback and the LKA. If you don't turn or adjust the wheel at all for a given period, then it'll warn me. The wheel doesn't detect whether your hands are on it or not, it's detecting movement. I NEVER use mine unless someone is intrigued with it in the passenger seat or I get bored on a long drive. I pay attention and don't have any distractions so no need for it.

seems odd then it keeps barking at me, it's not like the highway is straight, my hand is on the wheel and I am making minor adjustments as a drive.. even some major adjustments in the curves and turns of the highway.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City
seems odd then it keeps barking at me, it's not like the highway is straight, my hand is on the wheel and I am making minor adjustments as a drive.. even some major adjustments in the curves and turns of the highway.
Seems like there is a fault with it. If you keep it on and like the system, I would take it in and have them check it. maybe have a tech drive the car with you so he can see for himself. Beware though, they may come back and state, "perfectly normal operation".

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Seems like there is a fault with it. If you keep it on and like the system, I would take it in and have them check it. maybe have a tech drive the car with you so he can see for himself. Beware though, they may come back and state, "perfectly normal operation".

yup, and I am not going to stress about it, likely will be shutting it off.. new feature so I am playing with it, but I am already irritated with the car fighting me for control, I understand the need for these in a world of cell phone distracted drivers.. I am not one of them, so for me it is nothing more than an annoying toy..

Besides; it has become clear to me that my driving habits equal higher MPG than the autonomous systems, as I tend to coast a lot and engine brake, the systems use the physical brakes and tend accelerate up to the point of braking and then brake pretty hard when you get too close to the car in front of you, I've seen this behavior in several vehicles with the Smart Cruise that I have had as loaners over the past few years.

I can manage 50K or more out of brake pads, these systems over use the brakes IMO and you are lucky to see 25K out of a set of pads as a result.

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I only have LDWS and tried to get used to it but it was a PITA so I disabled it and haven't used it for 2 years. These systems are low finesse, I can only imagine lane assist is even worse with it constantly jerking back and forth trying to keep you in a lane.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Besides; it has become clear to me that my driving habits equal higher MPG than the autonomous systems, as I tend to coast a lot and engine brake, the systems use the physical brakes and tend accelerate up to the point of braking and then brake pretty hard when you get too close to the car in front of you, I've seen this behavior in several vehicles with the Smart Cruise that I have had as loaners over the past few years.

I can manage 50K or more out of brake pads, these systems over use the brakes IMO and you are lucky to see 25K out of a set of pads as a result.
I hit the cancel button on a down hill to avoid braking to maintain speed. Never had the accelerate to brake hard though but it will when you are cruising at 70 and come up on a car doing 60. I usually anticipate and change lanes or cancel. Depending on conditions, it can make driving in some traffic much easier on the legs. I use it a lot and can still get 50k+ on the brakes.

New features are nice, but you still have to look out the window once in a while.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
can only imagine lane assist is even worse with it constantly jerking back and forth trying to keep you in a lane.
Your imagination differs from my experience. There is no jerking and in fact I never turn it off. It’s not like you are drive hands free. It’s meant to guide you in the lane. I am pretty happy the this feature.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I hit the cancel button on a down hill to avoid braking to maintain speed. Never had the accelerate to brake hard though but it will when you are cruising at 70 and come up on a car doing 60. I usually anticipate and change lanes or cancel. Depending on conditions, it can make driving in some traffic much easier on the legs. I use it a lot and can still get 50k+ on the brakes.

New features are nice, but you still have to look out the window once in a while.

it's more of an issue with the heavy traffic in L.A. i suspect on an open road it is probably fine, but when you are dealing with heavier traffic the system gets hmmm wonky I guess would be a good way of putting it.

It's nice that it works down to zero and in theory could take a lot of the stress out of stop and go traffic, as that is what it is marketed to do from the many videos I have seen on the Genesis system. and of course you need to pay attention and be alert. .

The problem (to me) is that in stop and go traffic I rarely if ever touch the brakes unless I have to some to a complete stop, if it is just slow moving 2-5 mph traffic (the L.A. norm) then I use the gas pedal and keep a significant distance between me and the guy in front of me and never have to brake.. The smart cruise stays right at the edge of the distance setting you have and rides the brakes.. Just a difference in driving behavior that I don't care for.

I learned how to drive a car, both offensive and defensive driving and I spent years on a track, today people just aim their car in a given direction mash the gas and hope they don't hit anything before mashing the brakes, no one learns how to properly handle their vehicles, which is why these systems have come into play, driving today is an inconvenience for people, a distraction from their connected world, so the more a robot can do for them the better.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City

The only issue I have with it is that is doesn't detect objects, just lines on the road. It's a nightmare if I use it on the outskirts of town. The right lane is has lines on both sides (obviously) but the left lane has small medians or curbs, no lane markings. LKA does not work on probably 70 percent of the roads here in Rapid. And half of those are dirt roads. I'd rather question my sexuality than to go on dirt roads. Thank God i'll be out of here in less than a year.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.