Launch Control

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
You might be right, the ratios are different: 2019 Genesis G70: Equipped To Compete

2018 Kia Stinger Specifications

The Kia has the higher (lower? Gearing confuses me) ratios, putting more power down right away from what I can tell
Make sure you compare the same engine. According to both sources you posted the gear ratios are identical (ie 3.3tt 8spd).

Unsure of why their testing showed the G70 as being slower than the Stinger. I think they should line them up together and do a head to head. The G70 should be a faster car than the Stinger in every way.

Last edited:

joschneider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Make sure you compare the same engine. According to both sources you posted the gear ratios are identical (ie 3.3tt 8spd).

Unsure of why their testing showed the G70 as being slower than the Stinger. I think they should line them up together and do a head to head. The G70 should be a faster car than the Stinger in every way.
thank you for catching that, totally missed that dropdown. so the gearing is almost the same, close enough. youre right, a head to head dig/from a roll is what we need. also, someone needs to get on a dyno asap :p

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City

This comparison was a few months ago. These tests are by companies that get paid to test vehicles and fudge numbers a bit. Fact of life. But, as you can see, the G70 had a length or two on the Stinger. We don’t know if they used launch control, torque-braked, etc so there are many variables that play a part here.

Nevertheless, the better car on paper won.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You might be right, the ratios are different: 2019 Genesis G70: Equipped To Compete

The Kia has the higher (lower? Gearing confuses me) ratios, putting more power down right away from what I can tell

^ huh? gearing is identical between G70 & Stinger, regardless of engine. this is part of the arguments that several forum members have made supporting why the G70 'should' be quicker than the Stinger. same engine + gearing - less weight = quicker. to date, none of the testing has shown this which has us confounded. we need a back-to-back test under the same conditions.

joschneider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

^ huh? gearing is identical between G70 & Stinger, regardless of engine. this is part of the arguments that several forum members have made supporting why the G70 'should' be quicker than the Stinger. same engine + gearing - less weight = quicker. to date, none of the testing has shown this which has us confounded. we need a back-to-back test under the same conditions.
Yes and Todd corrected me on this yesterday if you scrolled up (y)

tx_boy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I’m almost at 1k miles. I’ll get the JB4 late March or early April. Unless this winter is super mild...which I’ll get it earlier.
I would stick with Lap3 when it comes to these cars. They have been tuning them for years now while JB4 is not even a year in. Not to mention one Stinger running JB4 already put a rod through their block. Not saying it was the piggyback but he wasn't even FBO. Have not heard of anyone running a Lap3 tune or piggyback pop an engine. Good luck and I can't wait to get me a G70.

Oh and they already are swapping the turbos in Korea and pushing 600+WHP in Korea on the Stinger.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I would stick with Lap3 when it comes to these cars. They have been tuning them for years now while JB4 is not even a year in. Not to mention one Stinger running JB4 already put a rod through their block. Not saying it was the piggyback but he wasn't even FBO. Have not heard of anyone running a Lap3 tune or piggyback pop an engine. Good luck and I can't wait to get me a G70.

Oh and they already are swapping the turbos in Korea and pushing 600+WHP in Korea on the Stinger.
Burger Motorsport has been tuning car since 2007.... just saying. As for the guy that fu**ed up the engine in his Stinger, there is more to that story, it wasn't only JB4 he was using, as far as I know.
Before I choose the JB4 tune for my car, I did my homework and I been reading, follow for over 3 months all 3 big players in the game; RaceChip, JB4 and Lap3 on Stinger forum. Here is the link The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum

Btw. here is the list of the fastest Stinger so far ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Do you have any links so I can read up on this? I've been waiting for a viable turbo upgrade for the 3.3tt - I'm curious what turbos people are beginning to run! Cool to hear about. Thanks for that.

Burger Motorsport has been tuning car since 2007.... just saying. As for the guy that fu**ed up the engine in his Stinger, there is more to that story, it wasn't only JB4 he was using, as far as I know.
Before I choose the JB4 tune for my car, I did my homework and I been reading, follow for over 3 months all 3 big players in the game; RaceChip, JB4 and Lap3 on Stinger forum. Here is the link The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum

Btw. here is the list of the fastest Stinger so far ;)
One nice thing about the JB4 that interests me is meth/water injection integration.

Also, fastest 1/4 time is AWD! Looks like once you start making more power we can actually take advantage of that extra traction. Thanks for posting that. Nice!

50jae

PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Here is a drag race between the 2. Dyno shows more hp with the G70. Watch around 9 min mark for the second video. Definitely different tunes stock, at least in KDM cars.

Edit: I didn't see the other video posted above which is the same as my first link. The second video contains the dyno results at 9 min mark

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Do you have any links so I can read up on this? I've been waiting for a viable turbo upgrade for the 3.3tt - I'm curious what turbos people are beginning to run! Cool to hear about. Thanks for that.

Found a small reference for a larger turbo in Korea.... specifically, this picture. No info, though.

6759-f7458d5d85ed30477e3b4694219a6810.png

Personally, I think a pair of GT2560R's would be perfect. Small/compact, ball bearings instead of journal bearings, oil/water cooled - bigger but still not too big.

Last edited:

joschneider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just tried launch control today...and I couldn’t get it to work. All traction off, everything warmed up, and it let me rev past 3k with no launch control message at any point. What am I doing wrong? I feel like i must be missing something

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just tried launch control today...and I couldn’t get it to work. All traction off, everything warmed up, and it let me rev past 3k with no launch control message at any point. What am I doing wrong? I feel like i must be missing something
Traction control...press and hold the button until it’s all turned off. You cannot just press and let go. That just turns off half the nannies.

Obviously foot on brake while applying the gas.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you have to go to park before you go to Sports or can you just go to Sports with the brakes depressed and turn off Traction?
I tried once too and it didn't engage and never tried again!

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you have to go to park before you go to Sports or can you just go to Sports with the brakes depressed and turn off Traction?
I tried once too and it didn't engage and never tried again!
You have to be in park to turn the nannies off...I think. I would have to try again.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Also...not sure if too cold outside...or too hot prevents it.

joschneider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just tried it and I didn’t have to be in park, was able to do 2 back to back runs like that. My issue was I didn’t have it all turned off and then I also didn’t have my foot ALL the way down on the brake. My fiancé was in the car with me so I’ll have to do a launch by myself but...wow! No wheel spin at all, it just goes. Def safe to add more power or tune for a higher launch rpm

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.