Launch Control

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just to confirm you have a USA G70 right? The dealer told me there was no launch control on USA cars. I’m pretty sure he was wrong, but I haven’t tried it out yet.
Of course there is...tell him he’s a tool.

Mind you...the manual does not have it.

scorp99cam

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Of course there is...tell him he’s a tool.

Mind you...the manual does not have it.
Ya, he was pretty knowledgeable in general and planned on picking up a G70 for himself. But didn’t know how to turn off stability by holding the button down, so like usual we know more than dealers. Thanks for confirming.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Speaking of launch control... I probably only used it a handful of times last summer and not at all over the winter. Well Wed here was 17 degrees which was awesome so I had the sunroof open, enjoying the weather and while stopped at a light on a straight two lane road, no one ahead of me as far as I could see and only a minivan behind me, I decided to try launch control for the first time in 2019. Now I am on winters and this never happened with the summer tires, but when I hit the gas, and before I let go of the brakes, the rear tires started spinning and quite a bit! I was a bit shocked, but it made me wish the car had enough power to do that with the summers on a warm road. :thumbsup:

*edit* AWD Sport 3.3T

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update on Launch Control. I have been doing a lot of this lately just to get some numbers after installing my JB4.

I must say...it SUCKS on this G70.

First off...RPM's go no higher than 2,200. Awful.
Next...once you launch...the car literally does nothing for like (what feels like) a second while putzing along.

Now...it's seems like I am getting 0.1 to 0.15 quick times with it over just mashing it normally.

But if the revs could somehow get to 3,500...the car would just rocket off. Very frustrating.

Does anyone know any tricks on how to get the RPM higher? I asked BMS if they plan on increasing that number with the JB4...no reply.

Perhaps I don't even use Launch Control...and try a different method? Anyone have any tips or suggestions? There has to be a way to launch this f$%ker at full capacity.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update on Launch Control. I have been doing a lot of this lately just to get some numbers after installing my JB4.

I must say...it SUCKS on this G70.

First off...RPM's go no higher than 2,200. Awful.
Next...once you launch...the car literally does nothing for like (what feels like) a second while putzing along.

Now...it's seems like I am getting 0.1 to 0.15 quick times with it over just mashing it normally.

But if the revs could somehow get to 3,500...the car would just rocket off. Very frustrating.

Does anyone know any tricks on how to get the RPM higher? I asked BMS if they plan on increasing that number with the JB4...no reply.

Perhaps I don't even use Launch Control...and try a different method? Anyone have any tips or suggestions? There has to be a way to launch this f$%ker at full capacity.
Do you know if it is launching in 1st or 2nd gear?
Some Launch Control systems launch in 2nd. But it seems like they did it to protect the transmission!

Toddasaurus

Robots, lasers, dinosaurs.
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is what I was talking about! The G70 could have substantially faster 0-60 times if it had a *proper* launch mode, one that allowed higher RPM's for boost to build, along with allowing it to launch HARD, like some other brands do (ahem, Audi).

My hope is that someone will eventually come out with a software hack or something that allows for more RPM's during power braking. But, honestly, I'm not holding my breath. Who knows, maybe the torque converter isn't strong enough to handle the heat, so it may never happen... *shrug*

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
To be honest, the launch control is simply too conservative in the AWD cars for warm weather on the Pilot Sport 4. The car has too much grip off the line, so it bogs down. As Edmguy noted above, in colder weather or on less grippy rubber, it's hilariously effective because it can actually spin up the rears and build boost.

So, for AWD cars in warmer weather, in my experience better just to brake-torque the thing.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
To be honest, the launch control is simply too conservative in the AWD cars for warm weather on the Pilot Sport 4. The car has too much grip off the line, so it bogs down. As Edmguy noted above, in colder weather or on less grippy rubber, it's hilariously effective because it can actually spin up the rears and build boost.

So, for AWD cars in warmer weather, in my experience better just to brake-torque the thing.
Is it starting off in 1st gear or 2nd gear do you know?

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

How do you brake-torque? If you mean using brake/gas without LC...it’s even worse. RPM’s max out at 2k.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The reason it can only go to 2,200 rpm is probably because of the torque converter. That is probably around the maximum stall speed of the converter and you wont really ever be able to go higher than that with a traditional automatic trans. The reason other high-end cars can launch at higher rpm's is probably do to them being dual clutch trans (DCT) as they are able to release the clutch which allows them to go to any rpm they want for launch control.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well...dareckibmw got his G80 3.3T Sport to launch at close to 2,700. The car doesn't have LC...but he messed around and was able to do it. I have tried everything...guess the G70 simply has slapped a bigger limit on the RPM.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So...quick update. Went out to my car and played around a bit...the one thing I did not try. I did not actually launch the car...but rather played with RPM's.

If I put everything into LC mode...then hit the paddle shifter to go to 1st gear...I am than able to get the RPM's to 2,500. So 300 more...woohoo...LOL.

Thing is...I do not want to do 0-60 runs in manual...I would rather the car do it. So I will try a launch tomorrow where I start in 1st in manual mode...but the second I get going I will hit the drive selector to D so that it goes back to auto. Hopefully I get time it all right. Drop brake in 1st...as RPM's start to go up (which is friggin FAST)...I need to hit down real quick. Wish me luck :)

I am now running Map 3 with 99 octane (93 octane + BOOSTane Pro)...tomorrow will be my first launch with this setup. Map 5 will be later on.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.