LCD Screen Blank!!!

user0209

Hasn't posted much yet...
The LCD screen on my 2012 Genesis Sedan 3.8 shows blank (nothing) but the radio can play fine. I don't know if any other functions work or not. I press all the buttons and nothing. Only the radio and power and volume work.

Do you know how to reset or troubleshoot this issue?

(I just got the car from my sister so it's kinda new to me)

Thank you

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Do you have the Tech (8”) or the premium (touch screen)?
also when you start the engine do you see the flying H logo displayed?

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The LCD screen on my 2012 Genesis Sedan 3.8 shows blank (nothing) but the radio can play fine. I don't know if any other functions work or not. I press all the buttons and nothing. Only the radio and power and volume work.

Do you know how to reset or troubleshoot this issue?

(I just got the car from my sister so it's kinda new to me)

Thank you
This is exactly the reason I bought an extended warranty. That screen is 10 years old. Good luck.

user0209

Do you have the Tech (8”) or the premium (touch screen)?
also when you start the engine do you see the flying H logo displayed?
The car has the Tech package. The screen is completely blank all the time.

What would be the first thing to check? Fuse? Reset method?

I'm thinking about taking the car to one of those "Car Stereo" shop and have them take a look. If the OEM screen cannot be fixed, can any aftermarket head unit be installed in the place?

The sound system is quite nice. Lexicon speaker. Radio still plays very nicely. But I'm completely blind to the channels. I just use Seek and stay with the first music channel :(

user0209

This is exactly the reason I bought an extended warranty. That screen is 10 years old. Good luck.
The car couldn't handle my brother in law's driving / maintenance style. It was dead and registered as unoperational since Aug 2020. So, they decided to give it to me.

I replaced the battery with one of the more expensive, gel battery. Then the car turned on and knocked the loudest I had seen in a car. After 2 hours, it literally broke the oil pan below and the starter.

I towed it to a shop and have them installed another used, 80K mile engine. It runs great now. Quiet and strong. Gives me almost the same feeling as my 3 years old Lexus RX450h. This is exactly the result that I was hoping for.

But now there's misc electronic issues. One lock is responding to anything other than hand manual switching, and the LCD screen :(

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Oh wow...that must have costed you a pretty penny.
Does the AC / fan work?
Does the radio work?
Can you insert a CD and then eject it?
Can you list in detail the misc electronic issues?
Do you have any warning lights on the dash?

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
I’m thinking Money Pit. Be careful.

user0209

I’m thinking Money Pit. Be careful.

I'm trying to avoid that situation :)

Oh wow...that must have costed you a pretty penny.
Does the AC / fan work?
Does the radio work?
Can you insert a CD and then eject it?
Can you list in detail the misc electronic issues?
Do you have any warning lights on the dash?

It already set me back 3k (a rebuilt engine, a new battery + diagnosis, towing). I'm ordering a new tail light, a new fog light which are on the way. $300 total.

AC / Fan work well.
Radio, CD work. Do you know if a CD or DVD-r with mp3s work?

No warning lights on the dash though I still need to put more miles on it for a smog check. Currently the catalyst and a couple sensors fails and the technician told me to put more miles on it first.

This is the first time I see a door handle this cheap. The peeling. The lock sometimes responds and sometimes doesn't to the key fob. That or I don't know how to use it yet. Another lock in the back seat doesn't budge via electronic commands at all. I have to reach in the unlock by hand but I'm on the only one driving so I dont' bother.

I'm reaching out to a LCD screen shop to see if they can fix the blank LCD. Or, I can order a used screen from eBay and install it myself. I don't know.

door.jpg

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Last edited:

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'm trying to avoid that situation :)

It already set me back 3k (a rebuilt engine, a new battery + diagnosis, towing). I'm ordering a new tail light, a new fog light which are on the way. $300 total.

AC / Fan work well.
Radio, CD work. Do you know if a CD or DVD-r with mp3s work?

No warning lights on the dash though I still need to put more miles on it for a smog check. Currently the catalyst and a couple sensors fails and the technician told me to put more miles on it first.

This is the first time I see a door handle this cheap. The peeling. The lock sometimes responds and sometimes doesn't to the key fob. That or I don't know how to use it yet. Another lock in the back seat doesn't budge via electronic commands at all. I have to reach in the unlock by hand but I'm on the only one driving so I dont' bother.

I'm reaching out to a LCD screen shop to see if they can fix the blank LCD. Or, I can order a used screen from eBay and install it myself. I don't know.

door.jpg
Well done, IMHO That is not a bad investment so far for such a fine ride, I mean you can’t even pick up a beat up corolla for that price.

Ok back to the LCD, I think that is all good news, at least what mentioned indicates the head unit is fine.

yes it plays mp3s and much more including normal DVDs complete with 5.1 surround.

ok the next test would be to use your phone flashlight, angled at 45 degrees to the LCD screen, roughly pointing at the center of screen. Then start the engine you maybe able to see the Hyundai logo or look for any flicker lines. If you are able to make either of these, then that would indicate the problem would be centered around the backlight vs the entire LCD screen.

either way an alternative to eBay, if you can find a close salvage yard with a 2012-2014 tech package you should be able to replace the LCD screen somewhat easily... as I recall there are few threads on this forum that illustrate the process.

While you are at it, you should be able to change the two failed Lock solenoids from the same place.

Good luck with this rebuild... and do share some pictures as you restore her to her former glory...

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
So user0209, based on this thread the screen /LCD is not Blank? but 'flickers on and off'?

user0209

So user0209, based on this thread the screen /LCD is not Blank? but 'flickers on and off'?

It doesn't display a single thing.

At night time when I could see light better, some back light flickers on and off as if there's power behind the screen, but nothing ever displays.

Do you happen to know why it appears that the power goes in and out for the CD player? The CD plays for a few second, then "die"/ mute/ both blue lights go off, then turns back on, plays for a few seconds, die again.

Thanks for your input.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Ok, that puts us backwards a bit...

Reading the crystal ball, since I have not see the actual condition (uploading a video to YouTube or some other service would help), there are few possible reasons that I can think of right out of the bat;
- the unit is not getting enough power and resetting
- bad power connector/connection (?perhaps happened during the engine swap?).
- there is a power short circuit
- bad power modulator / fuse.
- there is one or more speaker short circuit.
- or simply the entire head unit is bad/faulty.

[EDIT] Thinking about it some more, the 15 seconds the CD playing might be a clue, as I recall that is the exact time the head unit needs to sync up with the amplifier, since the you hear sound the CD unit is syncing with the amplifier fine but the amplifier is not syncing up with the head unit.
that would be just an educated guess [/EDIT]

Last edited:
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums