• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Leasing and modifying? Be careful...

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm not sure if everyone has already seen this or not, but just wanted to give those of us who haven't heard about it a heads up!

Evidently a BMW M4 owner...or should I say financee/leasee...is in trouble with BMW for modifying his M4. Turns out he's got to pay full price for the car or they're taking it back.

Link: BMW demands payment on financed M4 after owner’s mods

I really don't think anyone on this forum is potentially in the same boat as the above person for several reasons. First, we don't even know if Genesis would ever do such a thing to a G70 owner even if they knew such an owner was modifying his/her car. Second, I doubt any of us are nearly that high of a profile YouTuber where the manufacturer would even care or notice.

Even so, that said, you never know! May not hurt to be extra careful about showing off your mods if you are leasing your car. Don't want to gather too much attention. Wouldn't want anybody in our forum to suffer a similar fate!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm not sure if everyone has already seen this or not, but just wanted to give those of us who haven't heard about it a heads up!

Evidently a BMW M4 owner...or should I say financee/leasee...is in trouble with BMW for modifying his M4. Turns out he's got to pay full price for the car or they're taking it back.

I really don't think anyone on this forum is potentially in the same boat as the above person for several reasons. First, we don't even know if Genesis would ever do such a thing to a G70 owner even if they knew such an owner was modifying his/her car. Second, I doubt any of us are nearly that high of a profile YouTuber where the manufacturer would even care or notice.

Even so, that said, you never know! May not hurt to be extra careful about showing off your mods if you are leasing your car. Don't want to gather too much attention. Wouldn't want anybody in our forum to suffer a similar fate!
That's cause it is BMW Finance right?
Who does Genesis do their financing with? In Canada, it is Scotiabank.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I believe so.

I financed through my bank to purchase my car. The car is is 50% paid off now. *Yusssss*

As far as leasing, I have no idea how the financing works here in the states...

Edit: @danygenesis covered it above!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

I really don't think anyone on this forum is potentially in the same boat as the above person for several reasons. First, we don't even know if Genesis would ever do such a thing to a G70 owner even if they knew such an owner was modifying his/her car.
The PCP sounds like a lease rather than purchase. I can see where that can cause problems. If he utilizes that 700 hp fully and often I can see where the value would be diminished. Even if you are buying, you are really not the owner until you make the final payment. If it is in the contract though, you'd be in violation. Something to be aware of though.

soundman414

Registered Member
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This guy did major changes to his engine.... like a fully built engine with a meth injection kit... then he was stupid enough to meticulously document it on his youtube channel... then BMW got word of what he was doing and had video evidence of it.

They wouldn't have done anything if all he did was swap the air intakes and put a different exhaust on, or install a piggyback tuner. There have been several articles going over the reasons why he went too far and thus BMW had to take action.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This guy did major changes to his engine.... like a fully built engine with a meth injection kit... then he was stupid enough to meticulously document it on his youtube channel... then BMW got word of what he was doing and had video evidence of it.

They wouldn't have done anything if all he did was swap the air intakes and put a different exhaust on, or install a piggyback tuner. There have been several articles going over the reasons why he went too far and thus BMW had to take action.
He’s been doing this for years. BMW is just being a bunch of f’ing pricks.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
He’s been doing this for years. BMW is just being a bunch of f’ing pricks.
Based on what the article says about that PCP, it makes sense for them to ask for payment. Returning that thing back to stock would require significant work, so if he were to decide he want's a C63S and skip out on the last payment(s), they would be SOL. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to sign him to a more concrete financing contract so they can lock him in and guarantee he is ending up as the owner (and as such cover their own ass).

wesquire

Registered Member
San Francisco, California
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Infiniti guys mod the hell out of the Q50's on lease. It's so rampant that I get the impression that Infiniti is more concerned with pushing out car sales (and leases) than they are with the condition in which the vehicle is returned. May vary from brand to brand.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
And what about Camaro and Mustang community. I would say that more than half of them are modded.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Infiniti guys mod the hell out of the Q50's on lease. It's so rampant that I get the impression that Infiniti is more concerned with pushing out car sales (and leases) than they are with the condition in which the vehicle is returned. May vary from brand to brand.
I think Nissan/Infiniti's corporate credo is "mediocrity in high volume."

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It probably wasn't a good idea to completely document every single thing you modded on a leased car, especially when you're that high profile.

Lease In USA is with Genesis Motors Finance which is part of Hyundai Motors Finance.
In Canada, leasing is through Genesis Finance. Finance is through the Bank of Nova Scotia or Royal Bank of Canada.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Last edited:

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
well DUH...

you don't own a leased vehicle, the leasing company does. that would be akin to repainting and putting a new roof on a house you RENT.

no you don't modify a Leased vehicle..
Sure you do....absolutely. Just as long as it’s returned as stock.

Do you not put furniture and accessories in your rental...and then remove once you move out? Fix any nail holes?

Yeah...thought so ;)

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums