Leather Conditioning

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What are people doing to their leather seats? After reading this topic on various other forums I'm taking the conversation here as others are likely curious.

Does anyone know the quality/makeup of our Nappa leather seats? (IE i'm guessing its not hide leather, or is it?)
I'm mostly interested in maintaining moisture in the leather and keeping it soft but not greasy.

For reference, more information on leather seats than you thought possible : New Car, New Leather?? - Page 2

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Clean it with warm water and a very mild liquid detergent or use a steamer.
Apply leather conditioner if you want after!
If the end product is shiny, you got the wrong product on!

cmcdavis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What are people doing to their leather seats? After reading this topic on various other forums I'm taking the conversation here as others are likely curious.

Does anyone know the quality/makeup of our Nappa leather seats? (IE i'm guessing its not hide leather, or is it?)
I'm mostly interested in maintaining moisture in the leather and keeping it soft but not greasy.

For reference, more information on leather seats than you thought possible : New Car, New Leather?? - Page 2
Nanoskin (NA-NOU16 Nourish Leather and Vinyl Cleaner/Conditioner - 16 oz. Amazon.com: Nanoskin (NA-NOU16 Nourish Leather and Vinyl Cleaner/Conditioner - 16 oz.: Automotive this is what the detail guy who did my ceramic coat/ppf/tint recommended. A little goes a long way.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On my Grey Napa leather seats I use Meguiars APC diluted 1 to 10 for cleaning then Lexol Leather Conditioner monthly. I do the same with the steering wheel every other week.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
i've always used Aerospace 303 protectant on my interiors. very versatile product that protects w/UV additives and leaves a nice satin, non-greasy finish. i'm sure there are better products that are more focused on only protecting leather (not also vinyl/rubber/plastic like 303), but i prefer the simplicity of having a single product.

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
i've always used Aerospace 303 protectant on my interiors. very versatile product that protects w/UV additives and leaves a nice satin, non-greasy finish. i'm sure there are better products that are more focused on only protecting leather (not also vinyl/rubber/plastic like 303), but i prefer the simplicity of having a single product.
Is 303 safe for Napa leather? I own it and have used it for my Acura but then was told not to use it for softer more premium leather. Only the cheaper kinds with urethane coating on them.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is 303 safe for Napa leather? I own it and have used it for my Acura but then was told not to use it for softer more premium leather. Only the cheaper kinds with urethane coating on them.
^ i've never heard of any issues using 303 on finished leather. as long as it is a finished/treated leather i don't believe there is a distinction between standard and softer leathers. they only state NOT to use it for unfinished leather.

again, i know there a dedicated leather products that may have more natural oils, etc, but i have always been happy with the results on my various cars' leather seating. i'm quite OCD when it comes to car care so i do look closely, and 303 has performed well over 15 year of use.

from their website:

Attachments

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Absintheuphoria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
...so allowing bikini-clad women (or dudes, I know there are some women in here) roll and wiggle around on the seats covered in lotion doesn't count as proper conditioning?

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My local shoe shop owner, with 30 years of experience, sells and recommends Lexol, fwiw. When I asked about auto seat coverings he pointed at his shelf.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for all the replies, there is a lot of good info in this thread. I ended up ordering Lexol product from Amazon, Zaino was a close second and something i'll likely try sometime when I can combine a few items to save freight costs.

Either way agree we are really just protecting the "finish" here and keeping it clean is more important than globs of "moisturize/oils" like an old pair of boots. Atleast whiles the car is newish and the coating hasn't broken down.

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Zaino Z10. Your vehicle will smell new again.
Ditto for Zaino Z10, it smells fantastic and it only leaves a discreet satin sheen on the seats, not the ugly greasy glossy shine that some products (I am looking at you Meguiars leather wipes) leave behind. I clean my seats every 3 months with Lexol (works fantastic, keeps everything matte like new) and then apply a little bit of Zaino. The seats (Terracotta Brown) and the steering wheel of my 9 years old BMW still look new except some normal wear marks on the bolsters. We had a SUV with light beige leather seats when my kids were born and we managed to keep the seats look like new during the 6 years we owned it, I manage to sell the car at a nice price because of that...

Last edited: