LED fog lights for 2015 3.8 Sedan

KillaGen

Registered Member
Just trying to get some input on installing LED fog lights for a 2015 3.8 liter tech package sedan. Has anyone done this install? What's the level of difficulty doing it? Thanks for any input given!

Rloyola0426

Registered Member
Chino, CA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

Rloyola0426

Registered Member
Chino, CA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Thanks! Wired them to ignition so they are on whenever the car is on. Day/night/rain/shine/fog/clear they are on. Used one of those add a fuse things.

patrick49

Registered Member
Austin, TX
Thanks! Wired them to ignition so they are on whenever the car is on. Day/night/rain/shine/fog/clear they are on. Used one of those add a fuse things.

Could you point me toward which add-a-fuse you used? I was having trouble finding one that fit the fuse box properly.

And did you take any pictures of the wiring? If I bought this set of fog lights from eBay, would I need anything else besides the add-a-fuse?

I'd want to have it like you do, with the LED fogs always on, wired to the ignition. Thanks!

LarryJM

Registered Member
NoVa
Could you point me toward which add-a-fuse you used? I was having trouble finding one that fit the fuse box properly.

And did you take any pictures of the wiring? If I bought this set of fog lights from eBay, would I need anything else besides the add-a-fuse?

I'd want to have it like you do, with the LED fogs always on, wired to the ignition. Thanks!

One thing to consider is if your state has any sort of Vehicle Safety Inspection program you should make sure you wire your LED fog lights to conform to those requirements.

If it's like Virginia, FOG lights can't be used as DRLs and can only be on with your low beam headlights so wiring them up to always be on with the ignition would not pass inspection (i.e. basically on as a DRL and on with your high beams).

I have two switchable and plug in "switch boxes" for my fogs, one with full flexibility including a reduced brightness DRL mode and the other to conform to my state inspection requirements. These "switch boxes" reside in the forward console "cubby" just to the left of the power port/usb interface. It takes less than 30sec to change out the "switch boxes".

Larry

gearhedd

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thanks to everyone who posted their solutions. Gives those of us who want fogs multiple choices. My first choice is OEM. Thanks to dxtra196 and this thread http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?t=16596&highlight=lights I now know how to do it. There are 2 possible problems. First was found by shawn33. Apparently some cars don't have the necessary orange and black fog wires in the body side wiring harness. Before I go ordering parts I need to verify those wires are there...or someone found a workaround. Second problem related to KDM bumper fog harness having different pin positions for cameras...easy fix or make own fog harness. Anyone come across any other issues doing this mod?

LarryJM

Registered Member
NoVa
Thanks to everyone who posted their solutions. Gives those of us who want fogs multiple choices. My first choice is OEM. Thanks to dxtra196 and this thread http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?t=16596&highlight=lights I now know how to do it. There are 2 possible problems. First was found by shawn33. Apparently some cars don't have the necessary orange and black fog wires in the body side wiring harness. Before I go ordering parts I need to verify those wires are there...or someone found a workaround. Second problem related to KDM bumper fog harness having different pin positions for cameras...easy fix or make own fog harness. Anyone come across any other issues doing this mod?

My Genesis like Shawn's does not have the orange and black wires for the fogs. While I currently have a system that works fine and I can have them operate just like the factory ones I do plan to eventually install a 5.0 stalk with the fog light switch and I'm hoping that I can have that feed my wiring so with the possible exception of not having the fog indicator show up on the dash (unknown if my vehicle even supports that until I actually install the new multi-function switch). This would make my install look, function and operate just like an OEM system. Big question for now is to find the pin out on the multi-function swtich and while not probable a real wiring diagram would be great, but with Hyundai no longer providing that in their manuals, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Larry

patrick49

Registered Member
Austin, TX
My Genesis like Shawn's does not have the orange and black wires for the fogs.

I'm not sure if I have the orange/black wires, haven't looked yet, but could you explain how you wired everything up, and what exactly you bought to do it? I'm having trouble nailing down a precise answer. Thanks in advance...

LarryJM

Registered Member
NoVa
I'm not sure if I have the orange/black wires, haven't looked yet, but could you explain how you wired everything up, and what exactly you bought to do it? I'm having trouble nailing down a precise answer. Thanks in advance...

I hesitate to do this because I designed mine to satisfy my wants like the dimmed FOG option and as such it's probably beyond what 99% of the folks would want to do. I had to purchase in excess of $50 in 50W and 100W power resistors alone in coming up with a configuration I was happy with and that wouldn't burn my expensive car down since they are inside the center console and heat can become an issue. I found simply going from 1.3 ohm to around 1 ohm can cause even 100W power resistors to get way too hot and currently are using 4 100W resistors with two parallel pairs in series to manage the head and have even added some extra heat sink material to them to help. I would never recommend someone else do what I did because there is just too much potential risk in messing something up and damaging something. Also, I use the power port 12V supply which I tapped inside the center console for power and the illumination function since I didn't want to have stuff inside the engine compartment so everything fits in the center console out of sight and the elements. I chose this option since this power also provides power for some of my other LED lighting like the dual mode floor lights that are blue when on the illumination ckt and have a switch to put them on white at full brightness if needed.

When you add in the various electrical connectors, relays (I used six from Radio Shack that alone cost close to $30), project boards to mount the relays, project boxes to enclose the relays, various expandable nylon wire loon, and the Volvo OEM light switch (another $30+), I probably have close to $100 to $150 or more invested in this project. I also had to had make boxes for the two switches I have so they would fit in the forward center console cubby. Being retired doing this sort of things is sort of my hobby and as such money is a minor consideration.

Thus as I said my implementation is way more complicated and elaborate than I think anyone except myself would want to mess with and there is no easy way to pair it down to something more reasonable.

Larry

patrick49

Registered Member
Austin, TX
I hesitate to do this because I designed mine to satisfy my wants like the dimmed FOG option and as such it's probably beyond what 99% of the folks would want to do.

You sir, are correct. Thanks for the explainer though, that is definitely more than I'm looking for.

Really all I need to know is what I need for a bare-bones, always-on installation, and how to wire it correctly.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums