Lexus GS officially ends production

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The Lexus GS is a nice car especially the V8 powered GS F models. However, the GS is very expensive($54k-$80k) while not being very attractive or a must have over even the less expensive Genesis G80 models. I like the GS F models, but I am not willing to pay the premium price to own it. Therefore, I am not surprised that Lexus is dropping the model due to lack luster sales. Too many similar less expensive options are available now like the G80 to justify paying $80k for a V8 powered sedan or $54k for a 300hp V6.

If I were Lexus I would try lowering the price point of the GS first to the $38k-$65k range and see if the model gain some traction in sales before ending production.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Backslack

Registered Member
If I were Lexus I would try lowering the price point of the GS first to the $38k-$65k range and see if the model gain some traction in sales before ending production.
Unfortunately, that's where the ES sits price-wise (up to $55K anyway). And I think what killed the GS, more than any of its other RWD competitors, was its own brand sister ES. Dealers would no doubt have a hard time justifying a more expensive, dated, cramped vehicle with worse fuel economy simply because it has RWD driving dynamics to a non-enthusiast crowd. And the sales numbers reflect that.

The GS-F was a cool performance variant attempt (which I don't consider the G80 5.0 to be), but I agree that pricetag was unreasonable for the mid-tier performance relative to even a cheaper CTS-V.

Last edited:

StarPower

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've always liked the GS and I'm sad to see it go, but I'm not surprised. The GS was the only car on my list that I didn't drive before I bought the Genesis. The dealership only had one that was sitting on a pedestal in the showroom, and I wasn't going to ask them to take to down for a test drive. I was already pretty much set on the Genesis, and I doubt I would have liked the GS enough to pay the price premium over the Genesis.

I believe the GS and IS share a platform. I wonder if Lexus will discontinue the IS soon, too.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Like for the LS460, Toyota is extending the current IS lifecycle with another (2nd) refresh (but no powertrain upgrades aside from the return of the V8 IS-F).

Rumor is that if there is a next gen IS, that it will use Mazda's upcoming RWD platform, as well as Mazda's straight-6.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners