Loaner Car

Boonrag

Hasn't posted much yet...
New York
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Hello group. I have a 5.0 Ultimate that appeared to have had no refrigerant from the factory. I took it to the dealer and was given a Hyundai 2016 Genesis for a loaner. No big deal I thought, it was a quick fix. Five days later and on the eve of my road trip I discovered that the AC was not blowing cold. I brought the car in the next day and was told the problem was a flaw in the housing where the O Ring of the refrigerant hose goes. It looked like is was not going to be a quick fix. I needed a loaner car for my road trip and was given a base model Hyundai Santa Fe. I am the only Genesis G90 owner who is under the impression that a Genesis owner gets a Genesis Loaner car?

wayles

Getting familiar with the group...
S.E. Indiana
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
No, you're not alone. I was told by the dealer, and I believe it's also in most of the literature, that you would get a Genesis loaner if you car needed service. Not sure you would get another Ultimate, since they seem to be in short supply, but you should get another Genesis vehicle. I would question the dealer on this. It doesn't seem right.

This is one of the problems that folks will run into until Genesis fully separates it's dealers from the Hyundai stores.

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
I think that is accurate, but I don't think you will see that it is guaranteed in any of your paperwork. I have an Ultimate and got a G80 during the oil service. When they get separate dealerships this won't be an issue, it will be a force fix of the process.

I recall calling for an oil change when my reminder was set for extreme conditions, and they did not have any available loaners for the dates I was asking for. I went with the 7,500 mile schedule instead, since winters are pretty much balmy most years in the Northeast at this point. They either fixed their Genesis supply of loaners or my dates worked with supply.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I think that is accurate, but I don't think you will see that it is guaranteed in any of your paperwork. I have an Ultimate and got a G80 during the oil service. When they get separate dealerships this won't be an issue, it will be a force fix of the process.

I recall calling for an oil change when my reminder was set for extreme conditions, and they did not have any available loaners for the dates I was asking for. I went with the 7,500 mile schedule instead, since winters are pretty much balmy most years in the Northeast at this point. They either fixed their Genesis supply of loaners or my dates worked with supply.
If they don't have a Genesis to loan, they can't give customers one when their car is in the shop. A dealership will only designate so many of their stock as loaners, otherwise their entire inventory would end up being "demos" with considerable mileage on them.

Boonrag

New York
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I called the corporate office and spoke to a tier 3 case manager. He said that loaners are given based on what the dealership has to offer. I mentioned the dealer website and Genesis' for that matter have it clearly stated that you will be given a Genesis when your car is being serviced. He apologized for the inconvenience and offered $250 to spend at the Hyundai Store or for service. I politely refused stating that I have a three year lease and service should be free of charged. My friends and family love the car but this experience has soured their opinion of Genesis. Lincoln never gave me a Ford. But it is early and I am curious to see how the stand alone dealerships will be.

turnne

Registered Member
If they don't have a Genesis to loan, they can't give customers one when their car is in the shop. A dealership will only designate so many of their stock as loaners, otherwise their entire inventory would end up being "demos" with considerable mileage on them.
with the German luxury cars
The manufacturer subsidizes the loaner car fleet...so its really not taking inventory off the dealer lot

So..I guess you are saying Hyundai does not do this?

Warren

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
with the German luxury cars
The manufacturer subsidizes the loaner car fleet...so its really not taking inventory off the dealer lot

So..I guess you are saying Hyundai does not do this?

Warren
I would assume that Genesis Motors does reimburse dealers for the concierge service, which includes loaners. I don't know the exact nature of how the reimbursement is done.

But no matter how many are set aside for loaners, it is possible they could run out. The inventory and sales volume of a MB dealership is much larger than Genesis right now, so it may be easier for MB to predict the number of loaners needed.

turnne

Registered Member
I would assume that Genesis Motors does reimburse dealers for the concierge service, which includes loaners. I don't know the exact nature of how the reimbursement is done.

But no matter how many are set aside for loaners, it is possible they could run out. The inventory and sales volume of a MB dealership is much larger than Genesis right now, so it may be easier for MB to predict the number of loaners needed.
It seems that you typically assume quite a bit

I really cant imagine that if you are not selling a ton of cars that you would have many service loaners ..do you?
I saw the numbers were just a bit over 300 units in April 2017 for G90 sales...in the entire United States

It seems ..based on the original post...that the Genesis dealer had zero Genesis loaners available

As for Mercedes
The dealer I used to go( Crown Eurocars in Dublin Ohio) would just give you a Hertz rental car if they ran out. I recall the service writer telling me specifically that Mercedes was subsidizing it
I assume the subsidy is dependent on how many cars the dealership is selling

Warren

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I really cant imagine that if you are not selling a ton of cars that you would have many service loaners ..do you?
I saw the numbers were just a bit over 300 units in April 2017 for G90 sales...in the entire United States
I agree, and that is exactly what I said in my post above.

It seems ..based on the original post...that the Genesis dealer had zero Genesis loaners available
I didn't take it exactly that way. I took it as they didn't have a loaner available for him at that moment in time, not that they don't have any loaners. But I don't really know for sure. It probably does not help that it wasn't a dedicated Genesis dealership (just a Hyundai dealership selling Genesis Motors cars).

As for Mercedes
The dealer I used to go( Crown Eurocars in Dublin Ohio) would just give you a Hertz rental car if they ran out. I recall the service writer telling me specifically that Mercedes was subsidizing it
I assume the subsidy is dependent on how many cars the dealership is selling
I said pretty much the same thing above. Also, when he complained to Genesis Motors, they offered him $250 for his inconvenience that they did not have any Genesis loaners available and because he had to drive a Sante Fe instead.

Last edited:

Boonrag

New York
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The dealership had one loaner car for Genesis owners and it was a 2016 Hyundai Genesis. It was not given to me because it had dealer plates and they wouldn't let me take it out of state. I looked up their inventory and they have 27 G80s. I called Corporate because the service manager led me to believe that my AC problem was something major from the factory and I was open to having the car replaced since it only had 270 miles.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The dealership had one loaner car for Genesis owners and it was a 2016 Hyundai Genesis. It was not given to me because it had dealer plates and they wouldn't let me take it out of state.
Was that one loaner available at the time you needed it, or one total? In other words, is it possible that other loaners were already on loan? One loaner total doesn't sound like enough to me.

Boonrag

New York
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
That 2016 Hyundai Genesis is the only loaner they have for Genesis owners at that dealership. They did try to register it to get plates for me to take out of state but after four hours of waiting they said it couldn't be done due to insurance issues.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
... can't see a Santa Fe or Sonata being any different on the insurance side if it's dealer owned and has dealer plates.
Good point, but that suggests that "maybe" the Sante Fe he got did not have dealer plates.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Would be optimal if the loaner was a "Genesis" and not a Hyundai (well, there is the Hyundai Genesis prior to the switch), but it's common practice to give lower end loaners (if a multiple brand dealer group) or even a rental when they run out of their own loaners.

FYI - some Lexus dealerships are charging a service fee on their loaners which has pissed Lexus owners off.

Vermillion3

Been here awhile....
KY, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just took my Genny in for 100,000 mile service today, to a Genesis Dealer, and have always received a Genny loaner except today. Today I got a POS Elantra and I say POS not cause it is an Elantra but due to the condition it was in; there was dog hair all over the back seat and nose smudges all over the back windows she also had less than a quarter tank of fuel in her and needless to say the car was unwashed...The "Genesis experience" is lacking. I don't care what the dealers excuse is, bottom line the "experience" is not a good one.

I specifically drove out of my way to go to a Genesis dealer too. When I asked the dealer about where the Genny loaner was, I was told they don't loan them out anymore. Really? I've gone to this dealership for over 5 years and have had a Genny loaner every time; its the reason I drive 35 miles out of the way to go to them. Makes me rather reconsider purchasing a 2018 now if this is what I have to look forward too. I have told Hyundai and now Genesis the same thing survey after survey I LOVE your car the weak point in your whole show is your dealers.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.