Loaner Car

ogogolby

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Boston
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My new 90 (2500 mi.) has been in the shop 4 times. Recently, I waited 2 weeks for valet and a G80 replacement only to get a Sonata loaner. 3 Hyundai's in 4 visits not what the contract says. Maybe as disturbing is the sonata was an 019 and reminded me how many Genesis parts come out of the Hyundai bin. I will add that Genesis corporate has been on top of my problems with leaky door seals and mis-alignment/wheel balancing after every service.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The dealer I have elected to use for service only has one Genesis Loaner, everything else is Hyundai. insofar as they are concerned anything older that 2019 is still a Hyundai car, as the rules from Genesis/Hyundai for servicing the Genesis brand only apply to 2019 forward, 2017 and 2018 cars can be serviced by either Hyundai or Genesis, so as they explained to me, they do not feel obligated to give a genesis loaner to a genesis owner unless they are a 2019 owner.

personally I don't care. as long as I have something to drive.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just took my Genny in for 100,000 mile service today, to a Genesis Dealer, and have always received a Genny loaner except today. Today I got a POS Elantra and I say POS not cause it is an Elantra but due to the condition it was in; there was dog hair all over the back seat and nose smudges all over the back windows she also had less than a quarter tank of fuel in her and needless to say the car was unwashed...The "Genesis experience" is lacking. I don't care what the dealers excuse is, bottom line the "experience" is not a good one.

I specifically drove out of my way to go to a Genesis dealer too. When I asked the dealer about where the Genny loaner was, I was told they don't loan them out anymore. Really? I've gone to this dealership for over 5 years and have had a Genny loaner every time; its the reason I drive 35 miles out of the way to go to them. Makes me rather reconsider purchasing a 2018 now if this is what I have to look forward too. I have told Hyundai and now Genesis the same thing survey after survey I LOVE your car the weak point in your whole show is your dealers.
Sure sounds like a crappy experience, but,. . . .
They may have made some policy changes, though they seem like dumb ones. Genesis gives you the three year service and they may be treating you now as just a Hyundai customer as that is what you own.

It sounds like the dealer was giving you above and beyond for five years and now sort of abandoned a loyal customer. If you buy a new Genesis you should get that back, but do let them know they are risking a customer loss.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
A problem a lot of dealers are facing now, even us, was that the lack of cars to put into loaner status. We started getting our 2019s a couple weeks ago, and now have some in the loaner fleet. We hadn't gotten any new Genesis vehicles in since spring or summer, but we continued to sell them. Eventually, we had sold all the Genesis vehicles that didn't have miles on them, so we were out of vehicles that we could turn into a loaner. Up until we got the 2019s, we were down to just 1 in loaner status, which was normally 3-5. So we put a few Santa Fe Limited or Ultimate's into Genesis loaner's until we could get some 2019s. Imagine a lot of dealers across the country are running into the same problem.

Last edited:

ogogolby

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Boston
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
A problem a lot of dealers are facing now, even us, was that the lack of cars to put into loaner status. We started getting our 2019s a couple weeks ago, and now have some in the loaner fleet. We hadn't gotten any new Genesis vehicles in since spring or summer, but we continued to sell them. Eventually, we had sold all the Genesis vehicles that didn't have miles on them, so we were out of vehicles that we could turn into a loaner. Up until we got the 2019s, we were down to just 1 in loaner status, which was normally 3-5. So we put a few Santa Fe Limited or Ultimate's into Genesis loaner's until we could get some 2019s. Imagine a lot of dealers across the country are running into the same problem.
Understood and thanks for the inside scoop. I owned a G80 prior and don't really care like Mr. Incredible states but if the dealership promises something and then state I'll have to wait a few weeks for valet/Genesis loaner, they should honor it.

Vermillion3

Been here awhile....
KY, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My neighbor summed it up the best after asking me WTF was that refrering to the Elantra and after explaining it was a loaner and my disappointment he said “ what did you expect you drive a Hyundai?”

As for the argument that I am not a current or new Genny owner, treating ANY Genny owner different is not how a burgeoning brand keeps/ generates customer loyalty; especially if your going to look down your nose at early adopters who supported the brand early, and continue to do so buy going to a dealer for service that could be done at a local mechanic.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My neighbor summed it up the best after asking me WTF was that refrering to the Elantra and after explaining it was a loaner and my disappointment he said “ what did you expect you drive a Hyundai?”

As for the argument that I am not a current or new Genny owner, treating ANY Genny owner different is not how a burgeoning brand keeps/ generates customer loyalty; especially if your going to look down your nose at early adopters who supported the brand early, and continue to do so buy going to a dealer for service that could be done at a local mechanic.
Step back from your hurt feelings a moment. Look at the entire picture.

First off, you got better care than Hyundai or Genesis deemed "correct" as there never was any obligation for them to give you another Genesis as a loaner. You had a really good dealer. All along he could have given you nothing, or an old Elantra.

That dealer is now in a different position. He is obligated to give new Genesis owners a Genesis loaner. As a startup, witch is what he is at this point, he has limited funds, limited cars to give out as loaners. He is not picking on you or looking down his nose at you, he is making a go as a dealer of a new brand. Buy another Genesis and take advantage of the concierge and loaner. Don't let a temporary situation ruin the future for you.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It’s amusing to me that people think they are entitled to a loaner equal to the vehicle they are dropping off.

Having spent 25+ years only owning American cars to whit most don’t even give a loaner, and the “higher end” like Cadillac and Lincoln that do, will only pay for GM or Ford product from a third party rental company like Enterprise, and if they don’t have a brand car, then you are stuck paying.

While Lexus usually only gave me a Lexus and most of the time gave the same model, though the lower end version, there was twice I was put into a Toyota because that was all they had.

The BMW dealer was the same most of the time I got a BMW, but as the dealership also sold Audi, Porsche, and VW, I was given a crappy VW several times.

the warranty doesn’t state anywhere that they will give you an equal level loaner, only that they will give you a loaner and only if one is available, it is a perk, not an obligation.

While yes I believe that the higher end tier 1 companies should give you a branded loaner, the truth is they are not obligated to do so, only provide you with alternate transportation if it is available.

2017/2018 owners are in limbo. We bought vehicles from a technically non-existing brand, even our titles show them as Hyundai, because Hyundai didn’t properly franchise the Genesis brand. I’m ok with that because so far the 2 Hyundai dealerships that I’ve worked with have gone a step above to handle me as a “higher” end customer, but they have their limits be it lack of inventory or lack of support from Genesis HQ, but so far they have not left me hanging, and I can honesty say they have done everything in their power from my POV to make the experience satisfactory.

The next couple of years thing should get better, if they don’t well that is why I leased. So I can walk away.

Last edited:

Vermillion3

Been here awhile....
KY, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
LOL fair enough I am butt hurt and here is why; there was a drop in the level of service, for over 5 years I’ve gone to this Hyundai dealer; who is now a Genesis Dealer; and every time I have had my Genny serviced, I was given a Genny loaner. Now they state they no longer do this. Ok so now the Genesis dealer that is 45 min drive from my house is no different than a Hyundai dealership that is less than 2 miles from my house......so what’s the point of supporting this Genesis dealership? There is no difference between the two. You wanna stand out you gotta do more.

If Hyundai USA has put the dealers in this position that’s even worse as they are not giving their people in the field what they need to take care of business and grow the brand. I drove out of my way to support this Genesis dealer because of the level of service. If there is no difference in the level of service now for whatever reason then why support them?

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
LOL fair enough I am butt hurt and here is why; there was a drop in the level of service, for over 5 years I’ve gone to this Hyundai dealer; who is now a Genesis Dealer; and every time I have had my Genny serviced, I was given a Genny loaner. Now they state they no longer do this. Ok so now the Genesis dealer that is 45 min drive from my house is no different than a Hyundai dealership that is less than 2 miles from my house......so what’s the point of supporting this Genesis dealership? There is no difference between the two. You wanna stand out you gotta do more.

If Hyundai USA has put the dealers in this position that’s even worse as they are not giving their people in the field what they need to take care of business and grow the brand. I drove out of my way to support this Genesis dealer because of the level of service. If there is no difference in the level of service now for whatever reason then why support them?
They don’t do so because likely they are not a franchised Genesis dealer, as I said we are in limbo. There are several threads on the forum that explain what happened, essentially a bunch of dealers sued and won over the way Hyundai wanted to franchise, so it left everyone in the lurch and Hyundai/Genesisi is just now sorting it out. For the past 6 month there has been no Genesis inventory for a dealer to use as a loaner, and whatever they had has been sold off because no dealer is going to sit on a vehicle they purchased waiting on HQ to sort out their legal issues.

Mike734

Been here awhile...
Seattle area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
=The next couple of years thing should get better, if they don’t well that is why I leased. So I can walk away.
Exactly why I leased. I'm hoping the brand gets more popular and the residual is high but sadly, I don't think that's going to happen.[/QUOTE]

salcirabisi

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
2017/2018 owners are in limbo. We bought vehicles from a technically non-existing brand, even our titles show them as Hyundai, because Hyundai didn’t properly franchise the Genesis brand. I’m ok with that because so far the 2 Hyundai dealerships that I’ve worked with have gone a step above to handle me as a “higher” end customer, but they have their limits be it lack of inventory or lack of support from Genesis HQ, but so far they have not left me hanging, and I can honesty say they have done everything in their power from my POV to make the experience satisfactory.
I've had a similar experience with a local dealer. I have my G90 serviced in the same facility as Hyundai vehicles, but they've done their best to take care of me so far. I haven't had to leave the car overnight, and it doesn't make sense to get a loaner to get to or from work five minutes away, so they've provided a shuttle and once arranged for an Uber when the van wasn't immediately available. They have 2019 G90, G80, and G70 models in stock.

The next couple of years thing should get better, if they don’t well that is why I leased. So I can walk away.
I'd like to see Hyundai/Genesis get their house in order, too. But even if they don't, my decision at lease end will be guided more by the car than the dealer. The G90 is a great vehicle, and as long as I can continue to get it serviced, I'll be satisfied. The only things that would make me turn it in would be if it developed serious problems that the dealer couldn't remedy or if the newer models had some incredibly compelling new features.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'd like to see Hyundai/Genesis get their house in order, too. But even if they don't, my decision at lease end will be guided more by the car than the dealer.
That is the right way, IMO. There are exceptions, but most of us spend very little time at the dealer and now, with concierge service, it can be none. If your car is picked up at work and brought back later in the day, does it hurt to have a lesser vehicle sitting out in the lot? Or have a Sonata in your driveway or even take it to the store?

I've had many a beater car in my younger years, driving something less than a Genesis for a day is not going to be life changing. The other 363 or so days in a year I want to have what I consider a great ride.

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I still have a beater car in my driveway now. The Genesis is in the garage when not being used. Beater sets out in the driveway
and is used to go to the store, etc. Genesis is for trips and all day outings. Couldn't care less what neighbors think. I want
comfort when in the car most of the day.
My Genesis G90 has spent many days at the dealer, But think they may have all the problems taken care of now