Locked Out

ASLAN

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
FYI. GV80 Prestige will lock the car when your key is inside if you lock from the remote app. Anyone else confirm this behavior?

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
FYI. GV80 Prestige will lock the car when your key is inside if you lock from the remote app. Anyone else confirm this behavior?
Yes it will.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
So you are not really locked out as your title suggests since you can get back in the same way you locked it, through the remote app.

ASLAN

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
No. Sorry. You can. My phone was almost dead and I thought about the app to get in. And did. NFC card also did not work. Should have titled it you can lock your keys in your car! I did not think the tech would ever allow that.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have the app on phone for my wife so she can use it and in case of this situation (dead phone, locked out) she can use her phone and app. Same log in, same password, same car, different phone.

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
No. Sorry. You can. My phone was almost dead and I thought about the app to get in. And did. NFC card also did not work. Should have titled it you can lock your keys in your car! I did not think the tech would ever allow that.

I read somewhere but cannot find it now that if you use the app on the phone to lock the car that it overrides all keys and you must unlock it with the app to get in.

BillZ

Registered Member
Toronto
I had a near disaster with the suggestion that you can lock your key inside using the app. I was doing the April 14 update (having done the March one, I thought I was up to date). Leaving the car running (which you're told to due during the update process) in the driveway with the car unlocked didn't seem a great idea, so with the key in the car and the engine running, I used the app to lock the doors. Now you all should know that when the car is left idling in park, a 30 minute countdown starts before it automatically shuts off in the absence of any action from the driver (such as touching the brake pedal). I went out to check how the update was going by looking through the driver's window. It was still only about 60% and the countdown on the dash indicated the car would shut down in about 10 minutes. Now the doors are locked; so I tried using my wife's key. Nothing. I then tried to unlock using the app. After spinning for a couple of minutes, I received an email saying, "Sorry your request could not be processed". I tried again with the same result. So I called Connected Services for help. Absolutely useless. Then the car shut down. A minute later I tried my wife's key and it worked. Miraculously, it seems the update had completed seconds before the car turned off. Otherwise, I may have been left with a bricked infotainment system. Short story, DON'T LOCK THE KEY INSIDE USING THE APP DURING AN UPDATE. Presumably the system can't receive commands during the update process. It would be nice if Genesis had warned us about this.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It seems that so many forget that there is a mechanical key that they can use.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I did not think the tech would ever allow that.
No reason not to. It does check your fob battery charge any more than checking to see if you are a carrying a spare key.

I can lock my car with the key inside as long as I do it with my second fob. So it knows if you can lock it, then you can unlock it the same way.

m0pher

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Had a weird related issue a couple of weeks ago. My garage called and said I needed to come down immediately because the GV80 was locked with the fob inside and they had no way of moving it. Thing is, I never used the app to lock it. I then tried to unlock it remotely via the app. I received a “success” confirmation and then when I refreshed the vehicle status a minute or so later, it was locked again. Did this for about 45 minutes before the car stayed unlocked. Bizarre.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Had a weird related issue a couple of weeks ago. My garage called and said I needed to come down immediately because the GV80 was locked with the fob inside and they had no way of moving it. Thing is, I never used the app to lock it. I then tried to unlock it remotely via the app. I received a “success” confirmation and then when I refreshed the vehicle status a minute or so later, it was locked again. Did this for about 45 minutes before the car stayed unlocked. Bizarre.
It will relock fairly quickly if no one opens a door after it is unlocked.

jimmak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Wow lots of info and experiences. I haven't tried lately to get my phone as a key to work. I had no luck the first few times I tried. I can use the app...

The auto shutdown time is adjustable, mine is set at 30 minutes, if course that is no help if you're already locked out. Almost all features of the info system are disabled during the update, I imagine that is why the app didn't respond.

I've got a busy weekend coming up, next week, maybe I'll try to set my phone as a key and see if I can set up the NFC card they sent me a couple of months ago. :)

TonyD09

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Wow lots of info and experiences. I haven't tried lately to get my phone as a key to work. I had no luck the first few times I tried. I can use the app...

The auto shutdown time is adjustable, mine is set at 30 minutes, if course that is no help if you're already locked out. Almost all features of the info system are disabled during the update, I imagine that is why the app didn't respond.

I've got a busy weekend coming up, next week, maybe I'll try to set my phone as a key and see if I can set up the NFC card they sent me a couple of months ago. :)
To setup the Card/ Phone as a key you must have both Key Fobs in the vehicle. And I think the card of or the phone in the NFC/Wireless charging pad. It should work then once you go the steps.

redneck

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
we get updates on our jaguar where they say to start the car to keep the voltage up as the updates take alot of battery power. i just put a battery charger on it & dont start it no big deal for the 1 hour it takes every year

redneck

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
It will relock fairly quickly if no one opens a door after it is unlocked.
yes most cars do this my ram trucks relocks in 15 seconds if you dont open a door

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners