Long term reliability of HTRAC AWD transfer case due to inability to change the transfer case fluid?

ThoughtfulOne

Hasn't posted much yet...
Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
A few days ago, I saw this post on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/aqflbu
Anyways, before you read on, I would like you to read the post.

1. The AWD transfer case appears to be sealed and cannot be serviceable.
  2. The Magna Actimax when used on the BMW xDrive appears to have been known for failures.
  3. It is looking like there may be issues down the road for the Genesis HTRAC versions, as they use this case.
Anyways, the original poster was a Hyundai tech, and I've interacted with him on Reddit before, so I do have some trust for the poster. The fluid, Shell TF0870 can be bought online, but if the unit is sealed, then we are out of luck.

This will also be an issue on:

1. The 2015/2016 DH Genesis HTRAC
  2. All Genesis G70, G80, and G90 HTRAC
  3. The AWD versions of the Kia Stinger
  4. The AWD versions of the new Kia K900
  5. Whatever future Hyundai, Kia, or Genesis HTRAC versions
So quite a few people are going to be affected on this forum.

This is not a cheap repair we are talking about:

47300-4E000 is the part in question (Kia has a different numbering system so I'm not sure about the Stinger).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

ThoughtfulOne

Hasn't posted much yet...
Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
What is the failure rate? Personally, I'm not concerned as I don't expect to run out of warranty.
The issue here is that not everyone on the forums is leasing - or planning to trade in.

I think that we will, have to wait a few years to find out if this is a major weak point on the car.

Unless you know the failure rate you cannot say if it is a big deal. An anecdote is not a statistic. Is the Hyundai/Genesis case the same as the BMW or have there been changes to improve it?

Have there been many Hyundai/Genesis complaints?

If the fluid was changed, would that alter the failure rate? It may or may not be relevant. If you attempt to change the oil you will void the warranty so if under 100,000 miles you are better off waiting.

Any mechanical device will eventually wear and fail.
The problem I have with this right now is that they made a part where the fluid cannot be changed. The Hyundai HTRAC is based on the Magna Actimax, which is the same system that BMW uses.

The xDrive does have a bad reputation elsewhere. Hyundai claims that they enhanced it, but I'm not entirely sure how or if this affects reliability.

Yes, any device will fail, but fluid changes can certainly extend the life of parts. I've always tried to change a bit ahead of the intervals.

Ford is surely not the only company where you want to be ahead of the intervals.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So we get Austrian built units and BMW gets Mexican built units?
Anyway sounds like a lot of fear mongering to me.
Maybe BMW tuned it too aggressively or did something else stupid to it during customization!

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I can't find any where in the owners manual that says to ck or replace the oil in the transfercase, it does however tell you what oil and how much it takes

hguh9591

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What is the failure rate? Personally, I'm not concerned as I don't expect to run out of warranty. Unless you know the failure rate you cannot say if it is a big deal. An anecdote is not a statistic. Is the Hyundai/Genesis case the same as the BMW or have there been changes to improve it?

Have there been many Hyundai/Genesis complaints?

If the fluid was changed, would that alter the failure rate? It may or may not be relevant. If you attempt to change the oil you will void the warranty so if under 100,000 miles you are better off waiting.

Any mechanical device will eventually wear and fail.
If you are a second owner, then you do not benefit from the 10/100000 warranty. I would be interested in the range of likely total repair cost ( parts and labor). I am considering purchasing a 2015/2016 Genesis AWD. The cost of this repair is something for me to add into my budget. The possibility of a need for this work won't discourage me from getting the car; but it will give me another repair to consider in the long term if I play to drive my car for another 100,000 miles. I had an 1999 Audi A4 and I had a year with over $5K in repairs and maintenance. This is the price of driving a nice car.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm still holding out hope that you can replace the fluid in the transfer case. For those of us who plan to modify our cars, simple things like this are paramount. I'll take a peek under my G70 tomorrow and report my findings. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just checked under my new G70. I am unsure if there is a drain bolt, but there is one possible bolt I'm seeing. Keep in mind though, it's such a tight fit in there that you may have to completely remove the case to figure out a way to re-fill it. And I don't even know if this bolt is high enough to refill it, or low enough to drain all of it...

Here are some really up close pics to illustrate. Sorry I don't have a gigantic hydraulic lift in my tiny garage.

Xfer case P/N?

Driver's side, rear facing portion of lower case...

Possible fluid access here, but doesn't seem low enough for a real drain bolt... This is the passenger side rear facing portion of the case. More likely this bolt is to hold something together inside the case, and isn't mean for fluid access at all.

Bottom of the case...

Rear prop shaft. Notice the rubber damper ring that attaches the shaft to the case.

And finally, front prop shaft.

Thoughts....
First of all, the case is pretty small/compact. It really doesn't look like it would be too horrible to remove it. Would be a little more complicated than pulling a rear differential, but totally doable. That said, if you had to replace it, it's a job I would feel comfortable doing on my own. But, on that same note, at some point maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to try and service it later on down the road. You could technically split it in half without a huge hassle once the case is out and change fluids, but without a service manual I wouldn't dare do that.

Other things to note...
The auto tranny looks like a breeze to drain the fluid and/or remove the entire pan. Problem is, I don't know how to refill it. Can't find any spot when looking in the engine bay. Lol.

jimbrown618

Halifax, NS Canada
Genesis Model Type
Here's what is shown on the Hyundai Canada owners web site when you plug in the VIN for my vehicle:

I scrolled through the different maintenance time intervals till I reached the below service list:

120,000 KM Service
120 Months Service
Includes below services
  • Service #3
  • Inspect all drive belts
  • Inspect propeller shaft (AWD/RWD)
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Replace climate control/cabin air filter
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace transfer case oil (AWD)
  • Replace rear differential oil (AWD)

So I have the 5.0L AWD so it seems that there is conflicting info.......guess I'll have to give my local dealer service here in Halifax a call to confirm...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.