• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Longevity 3.3T vs 2.0

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Since the 3.3T won't have to work as hard and the transmission won't have to shift as much, will the drivetrain lifespan will be longer, if driven normally? Are other components in the drivetrain also beefed up to handle the potential torque of the 3.3T?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Since the 3.3T won't have to work as hard and the transmission won't have to shift as much, will the drivetrain lifespan will be longer, if driven normally? Are other components in the drivetrain also beefed up to handle the potential torque of the 3.3T?
Understand your theory, but not easy to calculate. First, define drivetrain. No matter the engine size and power, it takes a given amount of power to move a given amount of weight. Things like transmission, driveshaft, differential gears, U-joints will all see the same wear. A parts list would help to see if they are the same. My guess is most are.

Larger engines will not labor as much as a smaller one to put out that given amount of power so in theory, it should last longer. What you have to consider though, it the size and speed of the turbocharger to put out that power.

I've never seen MTBF or MTTF figures published, but if you had them it would be easier to do some calculating. The other factor is human nature. If you have the 3.3, good chance your foot will push a little harder at times and negate any benefits.

In any case, I'd go with the 3.3.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Seems like an old wifes tale told my American car manufacturers to scare people away from Japanese vehicles!
There are plenty of Toyota and Honda 4 cylinder engines that have outlived American v8s.
Anyway the i4 would only wear out faster if you're redlining it at every chance vs a larger engine!

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
also, the bigger 3.3 would put additional strain on drivetrain components with all the available twist. too many variables to answer the OP's question definitively. besides, either engine's longevity will far outlast the original owner with proper maintenance, which is what we're talking about here. nobody keeps their cars 20 years anymore. i kept my last car 8+ years and that felt like an eternity to most of my peers.