Looking to make exhaust louder

WPGGenesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
What options are out there for increasing the sound levels not so much into performance gains it gets too expensive and I'm only guessing but the stock piping seems more than adequate for performance levels from a stock v6 engine.

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have the 5.0 V8 and I had a fully custom exhaust fabricated 3" piping with an X pipe in the middle and it sounds amazing. Not sure about the v6 though

G-413803

I have the 5.0 V8 and I had a fully custom exhaust fabricated 3" piping with an X pipe in the middle and it sounds amazing. Not sure about the v6 though
I'm looking to do some sort of work to my 5.0 V8, looks like most any mods done would have to be custom there is not much of a market out for a genesis that I have found yet

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'm looking to do some sort of work to my 5.0 V8, looks like most any mods done would have to be custom there is not much of a market out for a genesis that I have found yet
Yes, this is true. Most of the work can be done it just has to be custom. I have my full exhaust custom as well as a custom air intake since the r2c and Abel units arent available anymore.

Attachments

WPGGenesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'm thinking of getting old mufflers cut out and a magnaflow glass pack straight through system.

Jalvin Cohnson

Registered Member
Minnesota
Genesis Model Type
Chop off rear mufflers, leave stock Cats and Resonator. The sound is loud, but not too loud. Volume can be easily controlled through gas pedal. Drone is only annoying going up hill, and you can just downshift to get rid of it. Under $200.

I did and I am very happy with the sound.

WPGGenesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
the glass pack are only $33 us, $50 cdn i think for the price im going to add them in. a little more silence and a better sound IMO. will upload a video once complete

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
I have a 2012 3.8L and bought the 2011 4.6L Magnaflow cat back and it bolts right up. Since I like the flush sporty look I had to cut the tips but if you want the tips you have to cut the bumper. Here is a cold start with airing up
http://instagr.am/p/BxfJ9WQB57n/
Got my MF 16497 yesterday and going to install tomorrow im pumped! I got Burnt blue quad staggered slant tips which ill have to take to get welded on but no way in hell am i going to pay someone to put a bolt on exhaust onto my car haha

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Got my MF 16497 yesterday and going to install tomorrow im pumped! I got Burnt blue quad staggered slant tips which ill have to take to get welded on but no way in hell am i going to pay someone to put a bolt on exhaust onto my car haha
Cool, let us know how you like it once it's installed! Also note that most Bolt-on (Catback) exhausts are never really a simple bolt on as the exhaust manufacture's claim. Generally, there is some cutting and welding for fitment and clearance issues.

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
Cool, let us know how you like it once it's installed! Also note that most Bolt-on (Catback) exhausts are never really a simple bolt on as the exhaust manufacture's claim. Generally, there is some cutting and welding for fitment and clearance issues.
With this magnaflow for our car? I doubt it.. with cheap Ebay catbacks? yeah most likely lol

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
With this magnaflow for our car? I doubt it.. with cheap Ebay catbacks? yeah most likely lol
I live close to a prominent exhaust shop where people who live out of state travel to have work done on their vehicles, custom fabrication, along with installing any kit. For exhaust techs it's well known in the industry that many catback systems have their quirks and sometimes require extra time verses just a bolt on.

This was the case when MagnaFlow first introduced their catback for the 1st Gen 4.6 - the exhaust needed more clearance for installation, so an installer would usually just add a bunch of spacers in the form of large washers to solve this issue.

Now, on my Borla catback one side installed with no issues, but the other side was off and required a cut and weld for proper fitment.

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
I live close to a prominent exhaust shop where people who live out of state travel to have work done on their vehicles, custom fabrication, along with installing any kit. For exhaust techs it's well known in the industry that many catback systems have their quirks and sometimes require extra time verses just a bolt on.

This was the case when MagnaFlow first introduced their catback for the 1st Gen 4.6 - the exhaust needed more clearance for installation, so an installer would usually just add a bunch of spacers in the form of large washers to solve this issue.

Now, on my Borla catback one side installed with no issues, but the other side was off and required a cut and weld for proper fitment.
Well I'll defintely let you know how it goes Haha

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Chop off rear mufflers, leave stock Cats and Resonator. The sound is loud, but not too loud. Volume can be easily controlled through gas pedal. Drone is only annoying going up hill, and you can just downshift to get rid of it. Under $200.

I did and I am very happy with the sound.
I was hoping that the Genesis sedan would not become the next riced out Civic. Guess I was wrong.

Jalvin Cohnson

Registered Member
Minnesota
Genesis Model Type
I was hoping that the Genesis sedan would not become the next riced out Civic. Guess I was wrong.
Big difference between a riced out civic exhaust and a 3.8 muffler delete. Not really comparable lol

I respect your opinion, but there is nothing wrong with chopping mufflers off if people, like myself, are trying to turn the car into more of a sports sedan than a luxury sedan. I just wanted to make sure OP knows that when you chop just the rear mufflers off, it sounds great, it's not too loud, there is barely any drone, and you clear back pressure a bit AND lose a little bit of weight as well. If he wants loud, this is the best cheapest option. I would never recommend chopping the mufflers off if someone can afford a full CBE. If they can't afford it and all they want is volume with minimal gains, muffler delete is the next best thing.

Jalvin Cohnson

Registered Member
Minnesota
Genesis Model Type
I

Dont think I could bring myself to ever straight pipe the sedan lol
To each his own brother. I learned not to go straight pipe on a sedan when I was young lol I went straight pipe on my Audi A4 and that thing sounded like a boat, terrible!!!! But a rear muffler delete on the 3.8s is no where near the volume and sounds much cleaner.