Losing Genesis Dealers!

BillN

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Likewise here in the Chicago area. Several are listed as Genesis dealerships on the Genesis website and I know at least one has signed the contract to become a separate Genesis dealership. Though it does appear that inventory is low right now in the Chicago area.
I live in a Chicago suburb and when I was looking for a G80, my dealer mentioned that they have signed the new franchise agreement and are currently searching for a location for the stand-alone Genesis showroom, probably along a strip on other high end dealerships. They mentioned that there will probably only be two dealerships in all of Chicagoland, and only 5 in the entire state of Illinois. I would think this could change if more dealers sign the new agreement.

Also, I wanted a particular color (Santiago Silver) and when doing a search, it was difficult to find due to the fact that production had stopped several months earlier. But they gave my an excellent price on a silver G80 5.0 AWD even though I was originally looking for a 3.8. Every Genesis in their inventory was available with a pretty heavy discount even as supply is dwindling.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
It's going to be very interesting when folks realize that their long-sought-after, vaunted, exclusive, preferred, Genesis dealer is located one, or more, hours away from their house. That nearby Hyundai dealer won't look so bad, will it.

Paulsr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
It's going to be very interesting when folks realize that their long-sought-after, vaunted, exclusive, preferred, Genesis dealer is located one, or more, hours away from their house. That nearby Hyundai dealer won't look so bad, will it.
Five in Illinois sounds logical but 4 of them would be in Chicago land. My guess is 5 in Chicago land but may take a few years if they actually start with two. Gerald and Napleton are hugh dealership conglomerates. Surely they will both sign.

Paulsr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Nothing in Chicagoland is an hour away.
I personally never have my cars serviced by a dealer. I am expecting my G90 to be so reliable that I will have no warranty issues. Only car I ever had with multiple warranty visits was a Jaguar which is currently last place on initial quality vs Genesis in first place.

tissle

Getting familiar with the group...
I rather go to a Genesis dealership and get an actual luxuary experience, then deal with a Hyundai dealership. Most people still view Genesis as a modem under Hyundai. If you want that to change, then having standalone dealership is the first step even when it comes with an inconvenience. As the Genesis brand to mature, expect more and more dealerships.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I rather go to a Genesis dealership and get an actual luxuary experience, then deal with a Hyundai dealership. Most people still view Genesis as a modem under Hyundai. If you want that to change, then having standalone dealership is the first step even when it comes with an inconvenience. As the Genesis brand to mature, expect more and more dealerships.
Let’s see, I can go to a dealer that is just around the corner who sells almost entirely Hyundais, has no concept of customer service, says he doesn’t find any of my problems, says everything works as expected OR I can go to one an hour away to a dealer that has the expertise to fix my car, is committed to the brand and shows it in the service, facility and personnel. Tough choice. What to do? What to do? What to do? ;)

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My local dealer inventory consists of 1-G80 Sport, 1-G80 3.8, 2-G80 5.0 Ultimate's, 0-G90's. Down from 8+ a month ago.
Of the 12+ dealers within a 100+ miles inventory ranges from 1 to 30. With most averaging 5-9. One large dealer in Charlotte, NC has 30 in inventory. Most of the dealers are showing little or no discounts on their websites, with one notable exception. The dealer in Charlotte with 30 units has discounts on all the inventory from $4000-8000.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Let’s see, I can go to a dealer that is just around the corner who sells almost entirely Hyundais, has no concept of customer service, says he doesn’t find any of my problems, says everything works as expected OR I can go to one an hour away to a dealer that has the expertise to fix my car, is committed to the brand and shows it in the service, facility and personnel. Tough choice. What to do? What to do? What to do? ;)
My choice is to go to the guy that will fix my car, no matter what the sign outside says.
A few posters mention the experience of a luxury dealer. Having been screwed over by a couple, I don't really care if the coffee in the waiting area is better or they are nicely dressed and smile. Fortunately, I have the time.

Took my car to the Mercedes dealer for service plus a cruise control problem. They gave me a bill that included a $400 part that looked like a box for the turn signal blinker. Took the car and turned around a mile down the road because it was not fixed. I turned the bill over and on the back side drew a wiring schematic of the CC system and what the real problem was. Ten minutes later is was properly fixed for $20.

Another time I questioned a problem with the electric cooling fan. They replaced a bunch of stuff. When I had them did the fan out of the trash and showed it worked, they refunded that cost. It was the relay. It was also the last time setting foot in their shop.

Sadly, there are many dealers that fall into that category. There are also some low end brand sellers that have top notch mechanics that can diagnose and fix the tough problems.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Sadly, there are many dealers that fall into that category. There are also some low end brand sellers that have top notch mechanics that can diagnose and fix the tough problems.
Yes everyone can point out exceptions to all these generalization (including mine) but the question is which has the highest probability of quality. If you don’t know anything about them you have to go on what you see and how they respond to you, at least to start.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I am in your camp. I have been ripped off by dealers servicing bare bones brands up to the most expensive. From a $10k VW Beetle to $120K S-Class. My primary issue with many high-end brands is the beyond outrageous service fees for scheduled maintenance. BMW comes to mind. As to location, I like EdP & Mcc, go to the service center that can fix my car correctly the first time and not try to gouge me. If it is warranty related I go to the dealer that has service techs that know what the hell they are doing no matter how far they may be. I have been fortunate that I have had good luck with my Hyundai/Genesis dealer. The dealership was recently sold to another large SE automotive group. We will see if their level of service holds up whether they become a new Genesis dealer or stay Hyundai only.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
but the question is which has the highest probability of quality. If you don’t know anything about them you have to go on what you see and how they respond to you, at least to start.
Also, true. That unknown dealer gets one chance to not screw it up.

YEH

Registered Member
I live on Long Island where we have quite a few Hyundai dealers who, in the past, have sold the Genesis. In checking inventory, I noticed almost all of them don't have the Genesis. I called a few and was told that the company is "in flux" right now. It seems they are asking dealers for a great deal of money to be able to continue selling the Genesis brand. End result is that I have located very few Genesis dealers, and finding stock is ridiculously hard. I'm told "maybe" the 2019s will be coming soon, but most dealers are not going along with Hyundai's demands. Wow, is this any was to run a company? Looks like it's time to find a brand thats going to be around for a while.
Beardie -

They weren't Genesis dealerships to begin w/, just Hyundai dealerships w/ the majority of them only selling the G80.

Out of the 850 or so Hyundai dealerships, around 350 were certified to sell the G90.

Most luxury brands have somewhere btwn 200 and 300 dealerships in their network (exception is the domestics, where most are small, low volume dealerships connected to a larger Chevy, Buick/GMC or Ford store).

A culling of the nos. and getting the sales and service experience up to par w/ the other lux brands is totally necessary.

Inevitably, the service rates at Genesis will be higher (but likely will still be lower than what Lexus and Infiniti charge), but one way to save some $$ to get basic maintenance done at a Hyundai dealership (Lexus owners have been doing that for ages), that is, after the free maintenance period is up.

Of course, all warranty work will have to be done at a Genesis store.

Yes, it's a massive BLUNDER.
What would be a massive blunder is keeping things as is and Genesis continually falling at/near the bottom of Pied Piper's sales experience report.

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I live in a Chicago suburb and when I was looking for a G80, my dealer mentioned that they have signed the new franchise agreement and are currently searching for a location for the stand-alone Genesis showroom, probably along a strip on other high end dealerships. They mentioned that there will probably only be two dealerships in all of Chicagoland, and only 5 in the entire state of Illinois. I would think this could change if more dealers sign the new agreement.

Also, I wanted a particular color (Santiago Silver) and when doing a search, it was difficult to find due to the fact that production had stopped several months earlier. But they gave my an excellent price on a silver G80 5.0 AWD even though I was originally looking for a 3.8. Every Genesis in their inventory was available with a pretty heavy discount even as supply is dwindling.
Curious as to which dealer of yours that has signed on for Genesis? Also, best guesses for other Illinois dealerships that will add the Genesis only franchise. Thanks from a fellow Chicago suburbian.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Every Genesis in their inventory was available with a pretty heavy discount even as supply is dwindling.
That is a very informative statement. Could you let us know the name of the dealership and approximately how big the discounts are on new cars (not demos etc) Thanks.

BillN

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Pugi Genesis in Downers Grove IL. Salesman said they're looking for property in Oak Brook Terrace near other high end dealers for the stand alone showroom. Their price on any 3.8 G80 Ultimate was $50255 for any in stock nevermind the PIO options. I ended up buying a 5.0 Ultimate for $1K more. This was the beginning of July.

BillN

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Curious as to which dealer of yours that has signed on for Genesis? Also, best guesses for other Illinois dealerships that will add the Genesis only franchise. Thanks from a fellow Chicago suburbian.
Salesman said (take it for what it's worth...) They would have one, there would be one in Chicago itself and one on the North Shore. That leaves two for the rest of Illinois. I think he mentioned Rockford as a possibility...

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Salesmen also told me at Gregory/Highland Park and Rosen/Algonquin that they are aggressively seeking Genesis franchises as well. Both said that the number of prior sales helps determine who gets granted franchises. And to that end, both were aggressive in their pricing to move cars.

Last edited:

BillN

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Salesmen also told me at Gregory/Highland Park and Rosen/Algonquin that they are aggressively seeking Genesis franchises as well.
I was thinking Gregory would be the "North Shore" dealer...

It sounds like Hyundai is still accepting franchising offers if dealers want to put up the bucks, so there may be more. We'll see...

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Salesmen also told me at Gregory/Highland Park and Rosen/Algonquin that they are aggressively seeking Genesis franchises as well. Both said that the number of prior sales helps determine who gets granted franchises. And to that end, both were aggressive in their pricing to move cars.
I am very interested in seeing how this all works out. I seriously can not wait until there is a separate Genesis dealership/sales/service to deal with.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.