Loss of discrete surround sound after "navigation update"

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Yes, the DVD-A will continue to play while driving, but only if I start it while the car is in park. I can also change tracks via the steering wheel audio controls. But if I ever want to listen to a different DVD-A while driving, I'll have to pull over, put the car in park, insert the DVD, then continue driving. It sounds like this system was designed by the federal government! I'm more concerned about the flac files not playing. I've got a lot of flac audio tracks that i'd like to play on the Lexicon system. Since the system won't allow me to copy a CD to the Jukebox, copying a flac file to the Jukebox via USB is the only (and easiest) way to get the full audio experience. Or I could carry 100 CD's around like people did in the 1990's.
Try ripping your DVD to an mp3 file. Put it on a thumb drive or copy to the jukebox. It should play audio while you are moving. I think you can change titles while you are moving but I took all my videos off since I never use them so I am not sure.

Ecomcon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #42
Regarding the Lexicon 7.1 surround system in my G 80 that no longer plays in 7.1 after a navigational map update by the dealer: I got a call from the dealer yesterday indicating that they had ordered a new head unit for the car and that it should be ready for installation sometime later in the week. I urged the service manager to be absolutely certain the head unit ordered was the correct one and I'll confirm that before any installation takes place. Since I know absolutely nothing about the complexity of taking one head unit out of the dash and replacing it with another I admit I cringe a tad at the thought, but at this point I can only hope the technicians involved know what they're doing. If all goes well Genesis will get kudos from me. Losing all "prior destinations" listings and Jukebox tunes is a bit frustrating but a small price to pay to get the discrete surround back.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Regarding the Lexicon 7.1 surround system in my G 80 that no longer plays in 7.1 after a navigational map update by the dealer: I got a call from the dealer yesterday indicating that they had ordered a new head unit for the car and that it should be ready for installation sometime later in the week. I urged the service manager to be absolutely certain the head unit ordered was the correct one and I'll confirm that before any installation takes place. Since I know absolutely nothing about the complexity of taking one head unit out of the dash and replacing it with another I admit I cringe a tad at the thought, but at this point I can only hope the technicians involved know what they're doing. If all goes well Genesis will get kudos from me. Losing all "prior destinations" listings and Jukebox tunes is a bit frustrating but a small price to pay to get the discrete surround back.
Genesis sedan 17-speaker Lexicon system has had various audio system problems since 2009, and your dealer has probably replaced quite a few head units over the years.

Ecomcon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #44
My fingers are crossed since I just dropped the car off for the head replacement. Incidentally, the loaner G80 I have is a 2018 with both the "Premium Package" ($5K additional) which has the 14 Speaker Lexicon Non-Discrete System and the "Ultimate Package" ($5.1K additional), bringing the sticker price of the car, before additional dealer enhancements such as tinted windows and the like, to $53,060.00. However, the Lexicon system that comes with the ultimate package is not discrete. It is: Lexicon 17-Speaker Audio System with Quantum Logic Surround and Clari-Fi (TM). The service manager confirmed that Genesis has discontinued the discrete surround system entirely, even in the G90. When I asked him if he was sure the new head unit was discrete all he could tell me was that it was ordered based upon the VIN of my Genesis. It apparently came in a box with no distinctive numbers or a printed description of its capabilities. I guess Genesis doesn't use what used to be referred to in the Navy as an "Illustrated Parts Breakdown" of the components of the automobile with a part number assigned to each. So we'll see, though I admit I fear the new unit will be non-discrete.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
My fingers are crossed since I just dropped the car off for the head replacement. Incidentally, the loaner G80 I have is a 2018 with both the "Premium Package" ($5K additional) which has the 14 Speaker Lexicon Non-Discrete System and the "Ultimate Package" ($5.1K additional), bringing the sticker price of the car, before additional dealer enhancements such as tinted windows and the like, to $53,060.00. However, the Lexicon system that comes with the ultimate package is not discrete. It is: Lexicon 17-Speaker Audio System with Quantum Logic Surround and Clari-Fi (TM). The service manager confirmed that Genesis has discontinued the discrete surround system entirely, even in the G90. When I asked him if he was sure the new head unit was discrete all he could tell me was that it was ordered based upon the VIN of my Genesis. It apparently came in a box with no distinctive numbers or a printed description of its capabilities. I guess Genesis doesn't use what used to be referred to in the Navy as an "Illustrated Parts Breakdown" of the components of the automobile with a part number assigned to each. So we'll see, though I admit I fear the new unit will be non-discrete.
1. As I mentioned before, it "appears" that the 7.1 discrete playback (when discrete source material is available) is still available on the G90. On the Genesis webpage it says:
LEXICON® 7.1 DISCRETE SURROUND SOUND AUDIO SYSTEM
www.genesis.com/us/en/genesis-g90.html
You have to scroll down to find it. However, the Genesis Motors website is atrocious IMO, and it is possible that the information is in error.

2. I don't understand you comments about parts and part numbers. There is a part number for the head unit, and to know which exact one is for your car requires your VIN number. This helps make sure that the correct parts are selected, especially since some part numbers change during the production year, and the VIN number is tied to a certain production build date. The parts don't have descriptions of their capabilities, but they do have the part number, either on the part or on the box (or both). There is a parts catalog that explains what the part description is, but not the kind of detail you may be expecting.

The odds of them installing the exact same part as came with your car are extremely high.

There is an illustrated parts break-down for all Genesis parts on the internet, from various dealers who sell OEM parts online. Here is list of parts for the 2018 G90 Information System, which includes the "Head Unit Assy-AVN."
2018 Hyundai Genesis G90 Information System - Hyundai Parts Deal

There are apparently two different ones, and not sure the difference. But when the VIN is entered into the website, it will find the correct part for that vehicle. Here is one of them (96560-D2560-ZCA):
1528910650597.png

Ecomcon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #46
Wow. Thanks. I learn a lot from you. While driving the loaner G80 the dealer just lent to me, and with the sound system described in a previous post, it is immediately clear that it has a much improved low end compared to sound system in mine. I hear true bass reproduction down to about 30 - 35 hz which mine simply cannot approach. I see the grill shape of the woofer is different on the back deck in the loaner (maybe the woofer is bigger but I can't tell) and it is now flanked by two other drivers, on either side of the deck. So there's no discrete surround but they dramatically improved the low end; it's truly an impressive sound system.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Wow. Thanks. I learn a lot from you. While driving the loaner G80 the dealer just lent to me, and with the sound system described in a previous post, it is immediately clear that it has a much improved low end compared to sound system in mine. I hear true bass reproduction down to about 30 - 35 hz which mine simply cannot approach. I see the grill shape of the woofer is different on the back deck in the loaner (maybe the woofer is bigger but I can't tell) and it is now flanked by two other drivers, on either side of the deck. So there's no discrete surround but they dramatically improved the low end; it's truly an impressive sound system.
What is the model year and trim level of your vehicle?
What was the model year and trim level of the loaner you drove?

I will look up the part numbers and see if they changed.

Ecomcon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #48
Well the car is at the dealer at present and I can't pull out the window sticker I have in the glove compartment. However, I took delivery of the car in October of 2016 so I'm sure it's a 2017 G 80 with both the Premium and Ultra packages. The loaner I have is a 2018 with the same packages though, as I mentioned, the Lexicon with the ultra package on the loaner is no longer discrete. But it sure cranks.

pa-g80-ownr

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I took my G80 Sport (that won't play flac files via USB) to the dealer today, and they had to order a new head unit. It is supposed to be in tomorrow. Hopefully that will solve my problem. I'll report back after I get my car back.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Well the car is at the dealer at present and I can't pull out the window sticker I have in the glove compartment. However, I took delivery of the car in October of 2016 so I'm sure it's a 2017 G 80 with both the Premium and Ultra packages. The loaner I have is a 2018 with the same packages though, as I mentioned, the Lexicon with the ultra package on the loaner is no longer discrete. But it sure cranks.
Your VIN is probably printed on your insurance card or in your purchase records.

However, I believe this is part number for the head unit assembly for a 2017 V6 Ultimate Package (but you didn't say it was V6, so I had to assume that).
96560-B1870-4X
96560-B1870-4X - Genuine Hyundai HEAD UNIT ASSY-AVN

Ecomcon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #51
Whew. Thanks! I've printed this out so I can present it to the dealer when I audition the new head unit. It's all moot if the new unit restores discrete surround, of course, but I can certainly give it to them if not. Yes, the car is rear-wheel drive with the 3.8 V-6.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Whew. Thanks! I've printed this out so I can present it to the dealer when I audition the new head unit. It's all moot if the new unit restores discrete surround, of course, but I can certainly give it to them if not. Yes, the car is rear-wheel drive with the 3.8 V-6.
You don't have to give it to the dealer. They use the same software to find the part number based on the VIN that I did. Usually the part number will be on the invoice for the repair, and I assume that includes a warranty repair, but not sure.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You don't have to give it to the dealer. They use the same software to find the part number based on the VIN that I did. Usually the part number will be on the invoice for the repair, and I assume that includes a warranty repair, but not sure.
Would it be the same part number if it is the "new and improved" model that no longer supports discrete sound? Too often I've found replacement parts on machines, cars, appliances, not quite exact

Ecomcon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #54
EdP,

That's my concern as well but Mark knows his stuff and my hope is that the dealer is as well informed as he. I should know in the next day or two. I was told today that the replacement of the head unit would take a couple of hours. Then they told me they'd have to keep the car for longer than that. That's no problem because I have transportation -- a new G80 -- in the meantime. Were I not so involved in a personal way with this issue I'd find it extremely fascinating. As it is, I'm just hoping the the new unit does what the old one did before the map update. Stay tuned. I'll be sure to post again with the final results. My thanks to all for your interest in this rather bizarre turn of events.

pa-g80-ownr

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I just received a call from my Genesis dealer saying that they were told by Hyundai technical department to check my USB stick in other G80's that they have in the dealership before they replace my audio head unit. They checked, and none of them will play flac files. I think I'll start a new thread on this problem so I can follow it easier.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Would it be the same part number if it is the "new and improved" model that no longer supports discrete sound? Too often I've found replacement parts on machines, cars, appliances, not quite exact
The Hyundai and Genesis parts system (which is also used by online dealer parts websites that I provided a link for above) has a different part number any time there is a change to a part. It is not unusual to see part number changes even in mid-production year if they make any change to the part. Anytime there are two parts for the same model year, it lists the vehicle assembly date ranges for each one, but if you enter the VIN it automatically selects the correct part for you.

Ecomcon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #59
The dealer just called and said they installed the new head unit assigned to the VIN of the G80 I have and it does not play in discrete surround sound. They also avoided doing the navigational map update, even though the new head unit was prompting them to do it (which is strange; my original head unit never prompted me to do an update), because they wanted to avoid having the map update do the same thing to the new unit as it did to the old one. Pardon the syntax. The service manager is putting a call in to the the regional parts guy who authorized the replacement of the head unit and presumably someone will get back to me with the results of that conversation. Despite how polite and deferential the service manager is, I get the impression he thinks the discrete surround-sound capability of the original unit is something I'm imagining. If this were a shimmy in the front end or a bad spark plug wire no one would question it, but since no one at this dealership really knows about sound we're all floundering.

There must be someone higher up at Genesis who can weigh in on this issue with some degree of insight but that person has yet to be found. In the meantime I'm not eager to have anyone mucking around in the dashboard unnecessarily. Since we're leaving the state in about a week for the entire summer, I very much doubt this issue will be resolved in the near term if at all.

The only conclusion I can reach is that Genesis has decided to cease production of the discrete surround head unit entirely in favor of the new one with fake surround. But again, that flies in the face of VIN-specific replacement parts being available to repair and restore 2017 models to their original specs. Frustrating.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The dealer just called and said they installed the new head unit assigned to the VIN of the G80 I have and it does not play in discrete surround sound. They also avoided doing the navigational map update, even though the new head unit was prompting them to do it (which is strange; my original head unit never prompted me to do an update),

The only conclusion I can reach is that Genesis has decided to cease production of the discrete surround head unit entirely in favor of the new one with fake surround. But again, that flies in the face of VIN-specific replacement parts being available to repair and restore 2017 models to their original specs. Frustrating.
I imagine every replacement unit asks for the navigation update to be sure the dealer puts in the latest.

Your conclusion is probably correct. As for the VIN=specific replacement, you got what they offer. I've bought replacement parts for industrial machines and support equipment. It is common practice to update, change, adapt parts for replacement. "Sorry, that has been discontinued but this one does the same job with the supplied adapter" Good chance the supplier made the change and Genesis had no choice. Technology changes very fast. In your case, too fast. You have to be wary when the sticker says "new and improved"

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.