LSD for G80

e.han

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
As above, anyone here knows of any LSD options available for the G80?

Can the Genesis Coupe or DH 5.0 LSD be dropped in?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Limited Slip Differential

I'm under the impression the 3.8L comes with an open differential.
It has traction control and electronic stability control. Don't they work in conjunction with LSD?

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Many thanks for the LSD decode.

On my 2080 G80 RWD there is a Drive Mode for Snow. Could this be locking up the differential?

Modes: Reg, Eco, Sport and Snow.

Don

e.han

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm under the impression that the drive modes do not alter the open differential characteristics. Based on what I was told, they altered the suspension, throttle response, brakes and steering.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Traction control applies the brakes to a wheel that is spinning.

LSD increases the torque to the wheel that has traction.

ESC when it detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer.

So ESC is a evolution of Traction control.

The G80 has HTRAC which is Genesis name/version of LSD for their AWD.

Jackthelad

West Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Traction control applies the brakes to a wheel that is spinning.

LSD increases the torque to the wheel that has traction.

ESC when it detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer.

So ESC is a evolution of Traction control.

The G80 has HTRAC which is Genesis name/version of LSD for their AWD.
HTRAC is just Hyundai speak for AWD. The G80 has an open (non limited slip) diff and relies on selective wheel braking to handle wheel spin.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The G80 has an open (non limited slip) diff and relies on selective wheel braking to handle wheel spin.
Getting back to the original question, is there a benefit to putting in LSD? Seems that possibly acceleration on dry pavement would be better but in most cases, not spinning on snow/ice is the goal.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Getting back to the original question, is there a benefit to putting in LSD? Seems that possibly acceleration on dry pavement would be better but in most cases, not spinning on snow/ice is the goal.
The short answer maybe. I can see 2 reasons for it, one you drive in areas that have snow, in which case you are better off with AWD and the second high performance cars with lots of HP can benefit from it. For most folks Traction control is enough.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Some early 2009+ Genesis 4.6 V8 owners claimed that those cars had LSD. I don't think it is wise to start messing around with the drive train, given all the electronics on the newer cars. Not to mention that the warranty will voided for anything remotely related to the powertrain, including the engine and transmission.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.