LSD on 5.0 rspec

Genesis Device

Hasn't posted much yet...
Throwing this out there...I've read that the 4.6's came with a TRUE limited slip vs the rspec's eLSD. Has anyone ever attempted to swap out the guts of their rspec diff for those of a 4.6 or just swapped out the entire diff altogether? I can't stand the supposed LSD in my '12 rspec, it's completely useless as far as the locking action is concerned. Burnout? 1 wheel wonder. Trying to hook up from a dig? Pathetic. I had an '06 Charger back in the day that had an eLSD and it worked wonderfully, this thing...mmm not so much. Appreciate any feedback.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I had a Canadian 2012 R-Spec and it did not have a LSD but used the breaking system to stop wheel spin. That combined with the over obtrusive traction/stability control system really put a damper on an otherwise excellent drive train. I recall some forum members hooking up a remote switch to disable the traction/stability control system on command while driving, but I didn't want to bother. Disabling the system would just allow the "1 wheel wonder" scenario to play out once too much throttle was applied.

Genesis Device

I had a Canadian 2012 R-Spec and it did not have a LSD but used the breaking system to stop wheel spin. That combined with the over obtrusive traction/stability control system really put a damper on an otherwise excellent drive train. I recall some forum members hooking up a remote switch to disable the traction/stability control system on command while driving, but I didn't want to bother. Disabling the system would just allow the "1 wheel wonder" scenario to play out once too much throttle was applied.
Mine's a Canadian car as well and yes I'm aware that the LSD effect is achieved through the brake being applied to the offending wheel, however my car seems to be completely disinterested in doing so. Even with the ESC completely disabled (doing the fuse trick), and under partial throttle, it's still a one wheel wonder. I have no ABS or TC faults, which tells me the sensor is fine and should be detecting wheelspin. But it ain't! Also particularly annoying if I happen to goose the throttle a touch too much mid-corner as the wheel will slip and the nanny comes out to squash the fun. All I want is a REAL mechanical LSD, no electronic facades. With so little performance mods available, I thought this could be a neat addition. Why can't we have nice things?

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
If you're wanting to stop your one rear wheel from spinning during hard acceleration, completely disabling the ESC will not achieve that goal. The ESC when in play will normally provide breaking to the spinning wheel. Unfortunately it seems that its not all it does. The system also reduces engine throttle to the point where the wheel spin stops but so does any acceleration whatsoever. You definitely don't want to be turning from a side street stop sign to a fast road in the rain - especially if a speeding dump truck is going to be breathing down your neck! Not sure If any solution exists (other than to get the AWD version offered in 2015 and up).

ThunderChicken

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
My 2012 R-Spec 5.0 leaves 2 black strips when the TCS is disabled.

Don't know what kind of LSD she has, but it's there and works on mine.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
1st Gen does not have true LSD - A few members including myself confirmed this a couple of years back by lifting the rear of the car and turning a rear tire. The rear tires turn in the opposite direction indicating no mechanical LSD. A car with LSD would have both rear tires turn the same direction when on a lift.

Paul

Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
My 2012 R-Spec 5.0 leaves 2 black strips when the TCS is disabled.

Don't know what kind of LSD she has, but it's there and works on mine.
I was going to say, If I romped on it with TCS off, the ass end would step sideways, lay 2 nice equal little patches (sticky 275's really help!) and launch like a rocket. That car embarrassed quite a few Mustangs and Challengers from a dig (and on the big end). On a brake-stand, both tires would light up and the ass would walk sideways. Maybe my car was a fluke since it was such an early 12, but I thought that it had a LSD until reading otherwise.

Now, trying to kick the ass out intentionally through a corner... wasn't happening, and it annoyed me to no end. The car would fall on it's face and I'd get that flicker of the little annoying light..
Hyundai built themselves a wanna be muscle car, but then put it in ankle chains. Shame... I really loved that car but the lack of aftermarket support and the amount of electronic babysitting was ridiculous.